Brittany Ferries - Now 32 hour crossing to Santander

force4fun

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quick FYI as it's easy to miss. Crossing to Santander departs Portsmouth at 22.15 Thursday and arrives at 08.00 - BUT that is on Saturday!

It's not very clear when you book and also on the booking confirmation ticket - it doesn't say day.

Upside is two nights sleep and a full day of riding on teh Saturday rather than the quick thrash to the hotel in the evening with the previous crossing times.

Just a quick FYI as it's easy to miss. Crossing to Santander departs Portsmouth at 22.15 Thursday and arrives at 08.00 - BUT that is on Saturday!

It's not very clear when you book and also on the booking confirmation ticket - it doesn't say day.

Upside is two nights sleep and a full day of riding on teh Saturday rather than the quick thrash to the hotel in the evening with the previous crossing times.

Is this on all crossings or just the slower one where they change crew in Brittany?

Andres

Sounds like the crew change crossing to me, got caught on one of those myself, but at least got 2 free breakfasts!

I've been on the crew change crossing from Portsmouth to Bilbao which was (from memory) about those times. Stop/crew change in Roscoff on the first morning. This was 2017.

A few years ago, I also went on the ferry that went from Portsmouth to Bilbao that took the same time but did NOT stop anywhere on the way. We were told it took that long because the ferry port in Bilbao was not open overnight. Just goes more slowly.

On the positive side, the 36-hr crossing means you can have a late night on the first night, a lazy day, early night on the second night and be fresh as a daisy by the time you leave the boat with a full day's riding ahead of you. On the negative side, the boat isn't the most exciting place in the world to be, especially if it's rough!

In 2018 we took the ferry Portsmouth-Santander which was a 24-hr crossing (arrived in Santander around 17:30, gone 18:00 by the time the bikes were unloaded).

The website might not be overly specific that it's a two-night journey, but it'd be a bloody impressive boat that could leave Portsmouth at 22:30 and have you in Spain by 08:00 the next morning!

Is this on all crossings or just the slower one where they change crew in Brittany?

Andres

The schedule seems to have changed for Santander. There used to be a Friday early evening 24 hour crossing but that has gone. It's now a Thursday late evening crossing and 32 hours through the year.

Also seems to be case on Bilbao

Saturday 26th June, Portsmouth-Bilbao - 24 hr crossing (on Cap Finistere)
Monday 28th June, Portsmouth-Bilbao - 24 hr crossing (on Cap Finistere)
Wednesday 30th June, Portmouth-Bilbao - 32 hr crossing

Tues 29th June, Portsmouth-Santander - 26hr crossing
Thursday 1st July, Portsmouth-Santander - 32 hr crossing.

So different times depending on when you book.

Prices are slightly higher than this year's (aborted) booking, but not by much - about £50 more all in.

I'm hanging on to hopes that we'll be able to go next year but I'm not booking anything yet. We managed to get a full refund for 2020's trip, but wouldn't if we booked now but couldn't go (25% cancellation fee for Flexi ticket and 75% refund, 50% cancellation fee and the rest via a credit voucher for standard booking).

I looked at the new timetable when I got all of the spam about the new Galicia. I started to look at schedules as I have a £99 voucher. The timings put me off planning anything for Sept/Oct next year. A cynic would suggest they are trying to make up some losses from a shit load more food & beer sales.

Yep, some shorter but generally I think the arrival on Saturday is popular for those who are looking to maximise weekends and return for work.

Love the comment on longer trip to get more food and drink sold!!

I believe im booked on the 32 hour crossing on the 30th june. Works well for our plans as it gets us into Bilbao early in the morning so we can be having coffee on the beach in France by mid morning!

Yep, some shorter but generally I think the arrival on Saturday is popular for those who are looking to maximise weekends and return for work.

Love the comment on longer trip to get more food and drink sold!!

I think that's always been the case.

Portsmouth to St Malo overnight....... ride down the west coast of France... in the Pyrenees for 1800 - decent meal, wine and bed.....bollocks to sitting on that boat for 30 hours..

And you get to enjoy the subtle change in smells and temperature as you had south......

Portsmouth to St Malo overnight....... ride down the west coast of France... in the Pyrenees for 1800 - decent meal, wine and bed.....bollocks to sitting on that boat for 30 hours..

And you get to enjoy the subtle change in smells and temperature as you had south......

I would agree - But it is probably an attractive proposition to a lot of the retirees who jump in their cars.

this is my thinking, sort of, but possibly using the daytime crossing to Caen and then stopping near Tours for the first night. Easy day to get to St Jean de Luz or San Sebastien for some seafood.

My only problem is, whilst there’s no ‘shite’ part of France as such I find the west side the least interesting, much prefer central or even eastern France.

Still agree though with Twizz’s point as a quick way to get south.

Andres

this is my thinking, sort of, but possibly using the daytime crossing to Caen and then stopping near Tours for the first night. Easy day to get to St Jean de Luz or San Sebastien for some seafood.

I always head for St Jean Pied Du Port....lovely place for the first night..

My only problem is, whilst there’s no ‘shite’ part of France as such I find the west side the least interesting, much prefer central or even eastern France.

Still agree though with Twizz’s point.

Andres

It’s a days simple ride to get to the mountains.... I use the day to clear my head and achieve my zen like state ready for Spain..

I used to prefer the crew change ferry, I`d catch it on the Sunday night and land Tuesday morning. This enabled me to set off at noon and bimble down to Portsmouth from Sheffield, stop off at the Toby Carvery in Hillsea for Sunday dinner. Then once on board the ferry I`d have a few beers before heading to the cabin to sleep it off. The added bonus is that it was the only ferry that disembarked in the morning, which allowed me a full days riding, also if the ferry was delayed/late disembarking I wasn`t going to be trying to find accommodation in the dark

The other advantage of the longer crossing is one day's fewer accommodation to pay for and you get a full first day's ride in Spain. The 24hr crossing would just give you an hour or so to get to hotel.

Horses for courses.

Back
Top Bottom