New SW Motech Pro Tank Bags

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had an email telling me SW Motech have launched a new range of Pro tank bags, with upgrades such as molle webbing etc

ec194b198036fe8403e7329fd52340c8.jpg

e0f05926f36df067bebc58d8bce146d2.jpg

1006ff19aefd8d5fbf025964ac1c0274.jpg

29c35e79bc7de0849c1be7c5da8f308c.jpg

Thank you for posting that Mr Arsey ... have 19 days to Nordkap next September and have already looked at these Motech bags ... only had good reports :)

I have the older generation with the same system but it''s not magnetic and I can't speak highly enough. Only reason I won't be getting the new ones is it'll mean changing the tank ring and also will make my current bag obsolete. But if these are anything like the slightly older ones they'll be fantastic.

Have had one of the micros for several months now. The magnets are a good addition, you can almost throw the tankbag on and it self locates and locks in. I added a molle phone holder to the top panel for when we're on alpine roads stopping taking photos every 1/2 mile and I can't be arsed using the quadlock.

I have the older generation with the same system but it''s not magnetic and I can't speak highly enough. Only reason I won't be getting the new ones is it'll mean changing the tank ring and also will make my current bag obsolete. But if these are anything like the slightly older ones they'll be fantastic.

That's good to read !

Have had one of the micros for several months now. The magnets are a good addition, you can almost throw the tankbag on and it self locates and locks in. I added a molle phone holder to the top panel for when we're on alpine roads stopping taking photos every 1/2 mile and I can't be arsed using the quadlock.

Sounds excellent. Everyone seems to give them a 5* rating so I shall get one soon and start using ... just to get used to it before our trip .. COVID permitting !

Have used the old style for years. very well made ...

Is this system better than the Givi tank ring system ?

Is this system better than the Givi tank ring system ?

Yes and no. The Givi are unlocked by a rotating triangular latch / lever kinda thing on the tank ring area of the bag, or at least my last one was. The bigger bags might be different. The Sw-Motech (in my case the new Pro version with Micro bag) has a pull strap located at the front of the tank bag. For me with an Africa twin, which has a curiously short gap between headstock and tank filler, this means inserting your hand into that gap and doing a kind of Masonic handshake with the damn thing. So, in a nutshell, the Givi is easier to remove in my experience. That said, my tank bag lives on the bike and is rarely removed, and on other bikes than the Africa twin it will likely not be such a faff. It also means if the bike is parked up and someone tries to casually make off with my tank bag, I will likely have returned and beaten them to a bloody pulp before they remove the Sw-Motech. So that’s a plus.

Givi seems to be a bit cheaper too. I did wince a bit when I added the SW-Motech to my basket and hit Continue. When it landed and I started using it, I forgot all about the expense so the quality does shine through.

The sw-motech is better built, both the tank ring which is solid, and the bag which is really well made. Not that the Givi aren’t well made but this does seem better still. It’s been superb and I would definitely buy another. It’s just a shame that the Africa twin is so limited for space ruling out most of the range otherwise I would buy another larger one for touring.

Yes and no. The Givi are unlocked by a rotating triangular latch / lever kinda thing on the tank ring area of the bag, or at least my last one was. The bigger bags might be different. The Sw-Motech (in my case the new Pro version with Micro bag) has a pull strap located at the front of the tank bag. For me with an Africa twin, which has a curiously short gap between headstock and tank filler, this means inserting your hand into that gap and doing a kind of Masonic handshake with the damn thing. So, in a nutshell, the Givi is easier to remove in my experience. That said, my tank bag lives on the bike and is rarely removed, and on other bikes than the Africa twin it will likely not be such a faff. It also means if the bike is parked up and someone tries to casually make off with my tank bag, I will likely have returned and beaten them to a bloody pulp before they remove the Sw-Motech. So that’s a plus.

Givi seems to be a bit cheaper too. I did wince a bit when I added the SW-Motech to my basket and hit Continue. When it landed and I started using it, I forgot all about the expense so the quality does shine through.

The sw-motech is better built, both the tank ring which is solid, and the bag which is really well made. Not that the Givi aren’t well made but this does seem better still. It’s been superb and I would definitely buy another. It’s just a shame that the Africa twin is so limited for space ruling out most of the range otherwise I would buy another larger one for touring.

Thanks pal. I do have the Givi system but I'm not happy about it touching the tank.

I have the Day Pack and rate SW Moto stuff, but the rain cover remains a bit 1980's.

They are 100% not waterproof and the cover takes up quite a bit of space.

Very happy with the new Pro range.

Attachments

• 20210324_102904.jpg
    20210324_102904.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 238
They are fantastic, easy on and off, secure fitting and the addition of molle webs is great. It was Neilo aka FS96 who put me onto them, so thanks for that mate :)

Here’s a “micro” fitted to my Monkey, also have the pro ring on my GSA and use it regularly on that.

Seems much more secure, and easier “on and off” than my previous Givi tanklock.

b6159923315b18d82eb48c7d479b0f6c.jpg

a5965823b150e94c5f3c228b7b57c9a4.jpg

This has the Molle Phone pouch fitted in this pic, which is quick release.

a014c2b665603224636c9e2dc5ac4c43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom