2019 R1250 GS Adventure Sat Nav cradle removal

camphair

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on here so I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I've recently purchased my first BMW bike, an R1250 Adventure, and must admit I'm extremely pleased with it so far.
I wish to remove the existing sat nav cradle and fit my own TomTom rider 400. The usual search online showed that the power cable goes to a connector and it's just a case of tracing the cable back and then disconnecting. I also read that there is an additional 12v supply that you can buy a cable for (BMW pt No83 30 0 413 585) that plugs straight into this adaptor and it's just a case of splicing the power cable of what ever you want to charge to it and you're good to go.
So I've started striping things out tonight and this is what I found. The black cable from the sat nav cradle goes to a USB type looking plastic block, from this comes two cables. One goes to a white connector with two wires(brown and white) that appears to be blanked off and isn't connected to anything, I assume that this is the additional 12v power supply the prev mentioned part No will plug into. The other cable goes to another white connector, but larger, with three wires (red, purple and black). This is plugged into a black connector and the cable from this disappears into the surrounding frame work and I guess goes to the main loom. This must be the cable that supplies the sat nav power along with a data cable.
So if I remove the satnav cradle entirely I will be left with one open connector and I don't want to cut the cable as may wish in future to re fit the original cradle.
So does anyone know if I can purchase something similar to the above part No that will plug into the connector coming from the loom that will allow me to splice my own sat nav cable to?
I hope all this makes sense and I cant seem to add pictures which would make things easier.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20201202_194334.jpg
    IMG_20201202_194334.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 3,642
I think this is what you need.
Motorworks BMW can supply these. Main dealers can also supply.
The wires are numbered 1,2,3. Number 2 isn't used for your scenario

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-213852.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-213852.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,924
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I think that cable plugs into the one that is blanked off. So that means Im still left with the cable running to the sat nav cradle.
Im trying to attach pictures to the original post.

On further investigation i think you could be right.
Now i'm faced with the dilemma of finding that other elusive 12v spare supply.

you don t need to find it.....as far as i can see that hella plug go into your black connector ....anyway you want to take out that splitter cable that comes from gps... and you plug that white connector with 3 wires from motorworks and use pin 1+3 to power your new sat nav. Easy

you don t need to find it.....as far as i can see that hella plug go into your black connector ....anyway you want to take out that splitter cable that comes from gps... and you plug that white connector with 3 wires from motorworks and use pin 1+3 to power your new sat nav. Easy

I agree.
Looks like the motorworks connector connects to the small black plug.

I seem to remember these are used in BMW cars and bikes and cost a fiver from the BMW car parts counter.....but £13 from the Motorrad parts counter.

As already suggested, you probably will be ok with the connectors from the disconnected nav-cradle.

However, if you for some other reason needs a switched supply for another project, it's nice to know where to find the other blanked off connector. And it will be found on the left hand side of the bike, strapped to the frame holding the headlight, it's located close to the top bracket holding the upper crashbar. You need to remove the plastics in order to get to it.
Also be aware, connecting anything with built in electronics to any of these connectors may in some cases make it impossible to charge the bike through the auxiliary plug next to the TFT.

When I removed the BMW cradle from my 1250 the data cable wasn't even plugged in, just the power cable.

I just removed the whole cradle and then connected the TomTom cradle via the BMW power cable.

I've ordered the cable and I'll post up pictures of the results.
Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Following this, as looking at doing the same with an XT. Hope its just a straight switch using the same plug.

Update. So the cable from BMW eventually arrived. Part No as per the attached image.
Remove the existing cradle. See images for what the complete removed unit looks like. It may be necessary to adjust the height of the screen to feed the connectors through the frame work depending on how it's routed and it also means the cradle is removed intact without cutting any cables. I also removed some of the surrounding plastics to make access easier but possibly more grief than it's worth.
Splice the cable to the TomTom cable charging unit. In this instance the cable numbered 2 was not used.
Reconnect to the plug from the original satnav and route as necessary.
That's pretty much it. When the ignition is switched on the TomTom powers up, when the ignition is switched off the TomTom goes to sleep.
Possibly not as sexy as the original with a BMW satnav but who wants to spend £500/600 when you've already got a decent satnav?
I doubt that'll need the other power connecter but thanks for the heads up on location and comments about fitting anything with built in electronics and charging.
Thanks for all the comments and info and please feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_182152.jpg
    IMG_20201208_182152.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 2,688
  • IMG_20201208_213340.jpg
    IMG_20201208_213340.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 2,754
  • IMG_20201208_212904.jpg
    IMG_20201208_212904.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 3,086
  • IMG_20201208_212810.jpg
    IMG_20201208_212810.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 2,588
  • IMG_20201208_213310.jpg
    IMG_20201208_213310.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,782
To mount the TomTom charger on the existing mounting bar I used this. Available via Ebay from around £15. The one I bought doesn't fit on the mounting bar tightly and had to use duct tape to pack it out. I haven't taken the time to measure any of yet to find correct sizes but the unit I bought was to fit 12.7mm dia and suspect the BMW mounting bar is 12mm.
There's also an aftermarket bracket you can buy that fits into the original BMW cradle but does not provide any means of charging. I also fond that it made the TomTom unit sit too far forward, but that's just a personal choice/preference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201208_220830_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208_220830_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,600
Are you by any chance selling the original Navigator 6 cradle mount ( full as shown on the picture ) ?
tu.seaman@gmail.com

For whats its worth the cradle is available on-line for €120 give or take. I have just removed mine in preparation for a Garmin XT. I intend to keep it and refit when I move the bike on, taking the XT and its Touratech Cradle with me.

Back
Top Bottom