2021 1290S

When I was considering trading my 1190R for a 1290R a couple of years back I came to a similar conclusion. Never regretted it. Eventually I bought a 701 with the money saved (+ a fair bit more by the time I was finished TBF :rolleyes: ).

ps. What is that bolted onto the front of the oil tank, fixing for an aftermarket bash plate?

Yes - fixing for my Heed bash plate - you would not want to be bashing off rocks with it but fine for my trips to Starbucks :D

When I was considering trading my 1190R for a 1290R a couple of years back I came to a similar conclusion. Never regretted it. Eventually I bought a 701 with the money saved (+ a fair bit more by the time I was finished TBF :rolleyes: ).

New bikes never make any sense do they. But there are plenty of people down the line who're glad that some people bought new.

But reality is I'm really off cars. Never thought I would say that. 'By comparison' bikes are pretty good depreciation wise. Cars though, are utterly shocking! If I told you what I lost on my last company car in 2 years you'd be visiting casualty with a broken jaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New bikes never make any sense do they. But there are plenty of people down the line who're glad that some people bought new.

But reality is I'm really off cars. Never thought I would say that. 'By comparison' bikes are pretty good depreciation wise. Cars though, are utterly shocking! If I told you what I lost on my last company car in 2 years you'd be visiting casualty with a broken jaw!

Tell me about it - hate to think what I have spent on new bikes over the years :D

Depends, I paid £11,600 for my 1190 with a few bits (Heated Grips / Rad Guard / Ergo Seats etc) had it for 4 summers (3 1/2 years) clocked up over 20k on it and still got £7300 back for it, worked out about £100 per month, running costs quite low as it obviously came with new tyres / new chain / new brake pads and only ever needed tyres, plus the peace of mind of a warranty and knowing how it had been looked after.

Had I paid full whack then the losses would of jumped from £4300 - £6400, that would of hurt!

Paid £12,500 for my 1290 bang on 2 years ago, low mileage (as unable to go anywhere this year) means it is probably still worth over £9k on a private sale, and probably still be worth @£9k in a years time making it another £100 per month motorcycle, not bad value IMO.

Someone paying £10k for a 2 year old one in a dealer will still lose a grand as they wheel it out the door and only have a limited warranty for 30 days, plus half worn tyres / brakes / chain.

Smartest thing is to pickup a 3-4 year old bike privately, like my 1190 at £7300 - will still be worth £5k after a few years, and probably another 5 after that would still be a £4k machine - quids in if nothing major goes wrong.

So, KTM have been making some noise about a launch on the 26th Jan - looking now like it’ll be the new 1290 Adv.

Andres

Clear as mud ;)

Mirrors and screen look to be the same

Ah! Well spotted. Definitely the Adv then.

I reckon that it'll be too expensive for what it is to buy new. The new Multi price will no doubt have KTM bean counters rubbing their hands together.

Highlights below maybe? Is it enough?

Huge fuel capacity. Was fine with old bike.
Radar. Great, but prob not a sales grabber.
Ability to carry a car on the back seat.
Obviously the 1290 engine updates.
180bhp?

It's up against the Multi V4

Completely new model
Small fuel tank maybe
Radar - with blind spot indicator
Awesome looking dash
V4 with long service interval
Excellent wind protection
Looks, by comparison
Its a Ducati.
No bad reviews to date
Oh...and a 4 year warranty!

We'll see I guess. It doesn't sound like it's going to be the 'Ultimate' high performance Adv if the power stays the same as the last model. Guess we'll know by the end of the day :D 4pm if I've got my times right.

Attachments

• Kto.JPG
    Kto.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 232
Yup,just been out for a walk with my mate who is also local KTM dealer.
World launch at 4.

5a099821e2fab021f4caef6fc22a8dbd.jpg

I still maintain that it’ll be virtually identical to this, as per the first post in this thread.

ff4bf4d07dfad2acaa640706364bf2b7.jpg

I hope not , as that’s pretty shite.....

This video is better;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LmxtoVU51w

Looks like it may potentially be a good evolution, just wish they did a base model with (quality) conventional suspension and no adaptive cruise bullshit, maybe put a proper ignition back on as well, knock a couple of grand off the price and job done for many of us....

...I think a few more years on my 1290 to see how the dealers cope when folk bring bikes back with Radar Faults.

Seat looks lower, I like the leg room on mine, hoping it is not designed for shorties.

Not sure what to think TBH.

Attachments

• ktm12.JPG
    ktm12.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 207

Back
Top Bottom