Should I let my 1150 ADV go?

Sell it - move on......

As soon as I stop using anything I get rid......

If you haven't already,upgrade the shocks (greater comfort and just feels better), service it and use it! Clearly you know the bike and it's foibles, had mine for near on 20 years now and it's like an old friend, don't do so many miles now, but would go anywhere on it without hesitation. Cheers:beerjug:John B

It’s a lovely, comfortable, fast and easy bike, and I have no emotional connection to it whatever.

I have no time for emotional relationships with my bike. My wife and offspring see to that.

I do have a big emotional feelings and connections when I think about the places I have been and the people I have met on my various bikes.

I stopped riding motorcycles and started motorcycling many years ago. (Riding a motorcycling = twiddling levers and twisting grips and leaning in corners. Motorcycling = the art of travelling on two wheels)

I'm not sad, I'm happy.

I have no time for emotional relationships with my bike. My wife and offspring see to that.

I do have a big emotional feelings and connections when I think about the places I have been and the people I have met on my various bikes.

I stopped riding motorcycles and started motorcycling many years ago. (Riding a motorcycling = twiddling levers and twisting grips and leaning in corners. Motorcycling = the art of travelling on two wheels)

I'm not sad, I'm happy.

I recommend eating less cheese at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have owned about thirty bikes with the R1150 engine. Good mixture of R1150GSA. R1150GS. R1150R and the Rockster.
So must say I quite like them. Or did I just buy them out of habit.
Not going to knock them.

Now own a R1250R Sport.

What a revelation.
Quick when you need it to be.
Fun to ride.
Good mpg.
TFT is fantastic.
Speedo is so clear.

Shoot me if I ever go back to another 1150.

I don’t own a bike right now so no bias. However, imo two and esp two similar bikes is a waste of time. I’ve had 3 1150s. 3 1200 wcs. Adv and non adv. over the years.

I have a fondness for the 1150 but my fave bmw was the R1200GS TE 2014. Before the crankshaft change. I had a graphitan R1150 at same time and it felt like a soggy old chugger versus a sharp as a tack athlete. One got ridden, one didn’t. One got sold.

If it helps, I have a '97 R1100GS which I bought to get back into biking after a period of not really feeling like riding. So a few years on, and a fair few miles on the 1100, I think to myself.... right, the you're in a position to treat yourself to a new bike - you use the one you have a fair bit, so you can justify that new R9T Urban GS that you like the look of. So I start looking... and in the meanwhile, my mate buys an R9T Pure, and my brother inlaw buys a R1200GS. So a few more rides out happen, and I keep looking in the for sale section for something new... and autotrader...I even look on ebay :eek: Few more ride-outs happen, and plans for a trip to Germany (then Covid happened and put paid to that for now).
Then the penny dropped. Not once had I thought I needed more than the bike I had. I got home having enjoyed the ride out. The bike was quick enough, comfy enough and set up well enough for everything we were doing. I reckon my 1100 is worth £3k probably. I'd need probably another £5-6k to 'upgrade' to the R9T I was looking at. I'd be doing exactly the same sort of riding on the the 'new' bike as I am on the one I have. Same sort of places, with the same people. And my bike's already doing these things with no issues. The £5-6k is still in the bank and will buy me a lot of fuel, insurance, hotels, repairs, tyres etc etc...

I think if you can separate the 'want' from the 'need', and still 'want' it, then go for it and enjoy it if you're in a position to do so. If you think that you 'need' it, ask what your 1150 has failed to do, or what it can't do that you realistically see yourself doing. For me the new bike was a 'want' not a 'need', and once I'd realised that, I didn't want it enough. I think I just wanted a new shiny bike to do the same old things that my older, less shiny bike was doing just fine. For me that wasn't enough justification any more. It has to be in the 'need' category.

Either way, good look and enjoy the new/old bike whichever you decide.
:thumb2

Also, I did the two bikes thing for a while (XT660 and Duc Monster)... only one ever got ridden. The other, pretty as it was, was just an expensive ornament, so the Ducati was sold on. Buy the bike you think you'll use (or just keep the one you have and use it). Having 2 bikes, one unused, where one will do it all results in more time in the boardroom to pay for it ;)

I've got an 1150 and a 1200... both get ridden and I'm not sure which would go if pushed. Fortunately I don't have to make that decision at the moment.

Your 1150 is a great bike and you have had fun on it . The 1250 is also a great bike despite what some may say . Is it better than an1150 ? to me yes , Love mine . Wil I keep it forever , no . But for now I really like it . I also have a Evo Scooter and a HD Fat boy . All 3 bikes are very different , and I love that choice when I look in the garage . Try an 1250 , if you don't like it keep the 1150 otherwise move on , there's a lot of miles to be done on a 1250:thumb2

Sell it - move on......

As soon as I stop using anything I get rid......

You still got the wife ?...................... :D

I'm not sad, I'm happy.

Feck me, for a minute there I thought i was reading one of those inane navel gazing ramblings so beloved by Americans.

Back
Top Bottom