Should I let my 1150 ADV go?

Paulbde

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being sentimental but I find myself with a quandary that I cannot seem to resolve.

I have had my 1150ADV for 15 years, during which time she has carried me 48000 miles throughout Central and Eastern Europe, but due to work I have not really ridden her much in the last 5.

Next year I have decided to spend more time enjoying myself and less time in the board room, and want to get back out on my bike again and where possible travel and chill.

However the quandary is this, as I am a bit older than I used to be I have gotten used to the creature comforts in life and as such I think a new 1250 ADV with its better power, riding modes, connectivity, more comfort etc would be perfect, however I don't really want to say goodbye to my 1150.

I still think the 1150adv in sexy silver is one of the best looking and most iconic bikes ever made, and I love her.

Its not about the garage space, becoming a classic, appreciating value etc etc, its just I don't think I will ride her much and its such a shame.

Should I let her go or just be selfish and keep her even though a newer sibling will be arriving?

What would you do?

Cheers

PaulBDE

(The pic is Sarajevo and if you look closely you can still see bullet holes in the hotel walls)

Attachments

• Sarajevo.JPG
    Sarajevo.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 695
Sell it. Why fart about with two bikes

1250 GSA. ����

Why do you believe the 1250 will be better, I must admit I don't like the look of them but, do you really need more power, is it any lighter, since when do you need riding modes FFS, keep the 1150 and all the money saved stay in better hotels or give it to charity...

I’m in exactly the same quandary. No reason to sell, no reason to keep.

Creature comforts? Isn't it a case of once it is set up as you like, you won't alter stuff so for me, all the tech is pretty meaningless. Unless you're a californian riding god, an extra 50 HP won't be used that much. The connectivity does not enhance the feel of riding a motorbike. Loads of it is pointless...IMHO
I'd keep the 1150, it obviously brings back fond memories of trips, just make some more memories doing some more trips on it

Keep the 1150 and with the money you've saved, send the bike to Micky for a total nut and bolt rebuild, you'll end up with a better than new bike that still holds the memories.

If it helps, I owned a 1200 LC GS and it ride fantastic, had tons of power, couldn't think of a better touring bike, ace two up, handled brilliantly yet despite all of that, it was the most soulless bike I've ever owned.

The trick that I and many others on the forum have is to own two very different bikes e.g. one heavy- + one lightweight.

I have an RT (300kg-ish with options) and an old Yamaha MT-09 (200 kg with options) that was used for commuting. The MT-09 cannot realistically carry a pillion so all two-up work is done on the RT. The naked bike has no weather protection to speak of.

I would sell the 1150GS and get say a little Guzzi 750, Kawasaki 400/Z650, KTM 390 (the machine should weigh at least 80 kg less than the 1250GS with luggage) or similar to have some new, different adventures with and keep the 1250 for touring/weather protection. There is plenty of fun to be had riding a smaller bike hard.

I don't see the point of having two tools doing the same job.

Hope this helps.

John

Agree with beemerboy

Too close to keep. A good mix if you want a couple of bikes. Ie Africa Twin (soon to be 1250gsa) Ducati Paul Smart and monkey bike,

Plus imho if you fancy a change and can afford it - just go for it!

If you are getting more time to yourself next year, why not get her serviced and then ride it. Worst case, you can go pick up a new bike pretty quick it it doesn't press the buttons. I've kept all my bikes over the years, having a change is exciting but if you have an attachment to this bike you may be kicking yourself next year having spent a lot of money on the new one when the one you love now could of done the job.

ride safe.

Keep it

I have 2 1150 Adv’s

They are superb all round bikes

You can look at the 1250 by all means, I have had a ride on a new one and as said, once the glitz has worn off (and the glitches start) the honeymoon period will tarnish

Both the 1150 & 1250 have an engine, 2 wheels and a chassis - it’s a bike and both will do the same job

I couldn’t see £15000 (cost to swap) more value in a 1250, than my 1150

Depreciation on a 1250 will be horrible in the first 2 years

I nearly did the same thing as you are contemplating, back in 2008

I had a 1150 Adv bought new in 2005 (still got it luckily) and was seduced by a new 1200 GS Adv with ESA etc
I bought the 1200 and was supposed to p/ex the 1150
On the Saturday collection day I couldn’t bear to part with the 1150 (6th sense and something told me) so got a lift in the car and took a cheque for the new bike instead
When I arrived at the dealers they said, where’s the 1150?
I said I have a cheque instead
That spring and summer I parked the 1150 at the back of the garage with a sheet over it and didn’t use it for 4-5 months
I was riding the 1200 and once I had set all the trickery up I never adjusted it again
Ultimately I didn’t gel with the 1200 and sold it
So glad I kept the 1150 that I had bought new and never p/ex’d it

Service the 1150 and use it for next year, ask yourself the same question this time next year.

I really bonded with my last bike and did around 34K miles on it (Ducati 899), it was a pre-euro 4 bike, and pretty much my perfect sportsbike. I could have kept it from a space/financial point of view when I changed to an adv bike (Tiger 900) but I like things simple and tidy. I didnt want to be wondering about which bike to use, and I also didnt want to give myself an excuse to default back to the 899 rather than use my new bike (Tiger 900). I like the fact I dont need to worry about valve services on two bikes and all the faff that goes with multiple bikes, although this is a false argument to a degree as generally valve clearances will be based on mileage.

I may still buy a scoot or small dual sport bike, but Im happier just having one main bike in the garage for the moment that gets 100% of my attention. It also (in my mind) justifies me spending whatever I want on it as my only bike. I would be happier if my second bike is self maintainable as well (there is no way I would attempt valve clearances on my 899 - dealer labour is 11 hours), which I assume the 1150 is.

RBW.

I did what you described, and went through half a dozen different new bikes - KTM, GSA, k1600, Triumph, trying to find “the one”. And ended up with a 1250RT. It’s a lovely, comfortable, fast and easy bike, and I have no emotional connection to it whatever. I call it my car. You’re welcome to come and try it and buy it if you like!

So I’m going back to an air head for my touring and travel bike, and I’m building it to fit me. It’ll cost about the same as a 1250GSA, but in 5 years time it’ll be worth more than when I started, not less.

The TFT is overrated in my opinion. But if you want the “glass cockpit” there are companies that can provide it for you 1150 based on rugged tablets - take a look here for example: https://carpe-iter.com

Fresh suspension and tyres and a Steptoe fettle with John’s chip and you’ll have an outstanding bike in the 1150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom