Britanny Ferries 2021

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
Like many, we had to cancel our planned trip to Spain this Summer. Because our ferry was cancelled, we (eventually) got a full refund from Brittany Ferries. They tried hard to get us to accept a credit voucher, but I was reluctant to do this in case (a) we couldn't get a crossing in 2021 because of increased demand (b) covid-19 was still doing its thing well into the 2021 and (c) the prices might shoot up.

As it looks as though things should be OK for travel next summer, I booked a crossing a couple of days ago - out late June, back middle of July. If we'd booked the same crossings as the previous year (outside 2-berth cabin, non-flexible ticket etc) the price would have been less than £600. Only slightly more than 2020's aborted crossing, which wasn't too bad. They have to make a profit. However, I read on a Facebook group that some crossings in September are far more expensive. One guy reckoned about £700 EACH for two riders, two bikes, shared inside cabin.

Presumably they work on an airline style booking process with prices increasing as demand grows.

As it turns out, and because there is still some doubt over holidays next year, I chose to book the fully flexible ticket which gives a refund (minus deposit) if we cancel and unlimited amendments. And as I have something to celebrate (and we didn't spend any money on holidays this year), we've upgraded cabin options both ways as well. £880 is a lot of money, and negates the "it's no more expensive than a short channel crossing and riding down through France" argument, but it should make the crossing more enjoyable.

So now it's just fingers crossed we can go ahead. Both Mrs Q and I should get vaccinations as soon as they become slightly more widespread (she because she's an NHS key worker, me because I fall into a vulnerable group for health reasons as well as being a 'key worker.' That was another factor in booking now - I can see lots of service providers placing restrictions on people who have not had vaccinations.

We have a route planned down to Ronda and back, staying in 12 Paradores for 17 nights. Can't wait!

Hope it goes well for you, I’m booked for the end of March, travelling with motorhome , on reflection it may well be too soon!

Booked to go out on 31st August on the new boat (Galicia) Portsmouth to Santander.

It’s now a longer crossing (30 hours) and both breakfasts and evening meals are included.

I’ve got a 4 berth posh outside cabin and the cost breakdown is as follows

2 adults £44.10, bike £218.70 ( that’s with my 10% off)

Cabin £169

Total £431.80

Still cheaper than riding there with ferry to France plus at least 2 overnight stops for 2 people plus meals, fuel, etc.

After 2 weeks touring my missus flies back from Bordeaux (£29) and I stay on for another 5 nights with mates for classic racing at Angouleme, returning Cherbourg to pool on the overnight ferry which is about £100 with my cabin.

I initially thought all meals were included on our booking, but it turns out it's just the Galicia and we're on the Finistere. Never mind.

We're booked on the 30 hour Galicia crossing to Portsmouth Santander late April withe van and the 690's for a bit of a tour around. Bad time to bring in the long crossing really, since I assume we'll be locked in cabin most of the time.

A key worker? You? Tea drinker, more like.

:D

I have a letter from The Boss saying how critical I am to life, the universe and everything. And since March I've only got to drink tea if I've made it myself. On rare work trips out, we're not allowed to make each other a cuppa.

I too am not booked on any crossings next year.

Should that change I shall inform you, via this thread, and we can meet in the piano bar for pre dinner drinkies :)

Andres

Failing that, we can meet for a flask of brew, standing up on the Chunnel. A flask of brew will confirm us as bikermates of the highest order, not prepared to visit the 'Travellers Experience Centre' at Folkestone and be ripped-off for a freshly made coffee and danish.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have urgent business, helping a bod decide if it'll be warm enough for his crotchless panties in May in the bazars and fleshpots of Arabee…

This reminds me...
Why the feck don't they fit folding jump seats (same as aircraft cabin crew use) in the Chunnel trains.

Rant over.

Because most passengers bring their own seats, called a car.

The average bloke on a motorbike can manage to stand up or lean against the wall for 40 minutes. I alone manage several hours standing up in the pub, on a regular basis.

If you can’t manage it. Take yourself to the bog, lock the door and sit down for the duration. Whilst there you can ponder that there is not an awful lot of gangway space between the cars and the wall, nor between the front end of the motorbikes and the wall. Only some demented idiot would fill what space there is with folding jump seats for the convenience of the very few bikermates on the train.

Go in peace.

This reminds me...
Why the feck don't they fit folding jump seats (same as aircraft cabin crew use) in the Chunnel trains.

Rant over.

The average bloke on a motorbike can manage to stand up or lean against the wall for 40 minutes. I alone manage several hours standing up in the pub, on a regular basis.

If you can’t manage it. Take yourself to the bog, lock the door and sit down for the duration. Whilst there you can ponder that there is not an awful lot of gangway space between the cars and the wall, nor between the front end of the motorbikes and the wall. Only some demented idiot would fill what space there is with folding jump seats for the convenience of the very few bikermates on the train.

Go in peace.

And always park with the side stand to the front of the train (despite what they tell you)?

Go in peace.

Each time I've been through the tunnel the bikes have always been parked up well away from the cars, therefore loads
of room for a jump seat to be deployed.
Granted it would be a squeeze if unfolded adjacent to car, but surely common sense could be applied not to squat
down if rubbing up against a car. In such circumstances it would revert to standing room only.

BTW, got no chairs in your pub or is it hemorrhoids?:D

Booked on a North Shields to Ijmuiden in September, we should have gone last September and used the credit note for this booking. When we're closer to the time and if I'm still alive, I'll look at the whole picture and decide what I'm going to do, it was 4 sharing so the losses won't be too great.

Booked on a North Shields to Ijmuiden in September, we should have gone last September and used the credit note for this booking. When we're closer to the time and if I'm still alive, I'll look at the whole picture and decide what I'm going to do, it was 4 sharing so the losses won't be too great.

Has Ijmuiden moved to Spain?

Each time I've been through the tunnel the bikes have always been parked up well away from the cars, therefore loads
of room for a jump seat to be deployed.
Granted it would be a squeeze if unfolded adjacent to car, but surely common sense could be applied not to squat
down if rubbing up against a car. In such circumstances it would revert to standing room only.

BTW, got no chairs in your pub or is it hemorrhoids?:D

Just face it, they ain't after 25 years of running the Chunnel, suddenly fit jump seats to accommodate the fat arses a relatively small handful of bikernates, who (like the ferries) they probably think are a demanding pain in the arse minority, with their stupid two-wheel machines that keep falling over or bods fall off, slowing everyone else down.

Just face it, they ain't after 25 years of running the Chunnel, suddenly fit jump seats to accommodate the fat arses a relatively small handful of bikernates, who (like the ferries) they probably think are a demanding pain in the arse minority, with their stupid two-wheel machines that keep falling over or bods fall off, slowing everyone else down.

Biker Lives Matter.✊

Back
Top Bottom