The burgenstrasse (castle route)

This really is a very good website, unusual in that its German creators have gone to a lot of trouble to write it all up in pretty good English.

If you go to the ‘Old car’ section, you can find some reasonably clear maps of routes to join up places, along with nice little excursions:

9bc7b0ccc55e9655533fc263583030c6.png

You will notice that lots of the place names crop up in other threads in the Germany section of travel, so you can be pretty confident that bods on motorcycles have been there before and enjoyed it well enough to think it worth posting something about them.

The GPX routes download well. Here’s the full basic route, downloaded via nothing more than an iPad, opened up in OpenStreetMap in Pocket Earth Pro. If I can do it on an iPad, anyone can do it on their home computer.

28351c4af03a5c14550d10b126b1da2a.png

In the screen shot above, you can see that the website’s suggested route, at its western end links up with other suggested ‘motorbike’ routes from other threads. Join them up and create yourself a great holiday, without too much effort at all.

It’s a pretty safe bet that roads that someone with an old car (frequently referred to in German websites and magazines as ‘Old timer’) will enjoy driving, will suit someone on a motorcycle. Proof (if any were needed) that you can get good ideas on where to go from all sorts of places, not just UKGSer or ‘motorbike friendly’ centric websites or forums. Surf around in Google, you will find your own. When you do, share them here please, as Lee has done.

The routes then breakdown into their own detailed pages, augmented with separate downloadable excursions:

25bba4bba768fa88dd79ecd5634900d9.png

I quite liked the Google map version, so (safe in the belief that you can’t break anything) I clicked on the ‘Learn how to make your own’:

d80a13e8f12ffe8e696022bba955987e.png

Note:

If anyone is maybe thinking of riding any of the routes, I’d suggest downloading the route GPX files and the maps now, or at least taking a good screenshot of them. Why? From experience, websites like these often have a finite lifespan, dying when the sponsorship or entity that created and maintains the website dries up. When they do dry up, the website dies. For example, again using nothing more than an iPad, I took a screen shot of the entire route map (which is certainly good enough as a basic start), converted the picture into a pdf and saved it to iBooks. That way I’ll have it forever.

Here’s a link to German castle route. I have also added the Czech half of the route and put waypoints in for the castles, the waypoints maybe in the carpark to the castles or on an adjacent road very close. The German side of the route I have not bothered as there is plenty of info out there for these, also it will give you something to do (practice).

The route is in GPX format and is a route and not a track, if anyone wants a track I have it. Link for route below. track below that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h5y301sathg3rm/castle route with czech castles.gpx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjrg5h7d64hexyg/castle route track.gpx?dl=0

========

I have copied this post over from a later parallel thread on the same topic.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom