Camp bed

The width is the packed length.
Just measured mine at 70cm x 20cm - This is packed as loosely as possible while not in use.
Mine is the 7.5cm, so the 10cm would add more bulk.
Fits in a Hilleberg Akto with no problem, and has seen plenty of frosty ground in it's time - It just works for me!

Trouble with a camp bed is it's just something else to shuffle onto, off or around in a tent. I'm tall, and the height of a bed just reduces the length of the tent due to the sloping back.

Ok ta. This would negate the need to carry a super strength cot type bed I guess! :D
One of those and a nice big comfy 3 season sleeping bag would do then. I absolutely HATE being cold at night and was thinking a cot bed would get my carcass off the cold ground but thinking about it a bit more it would probably just let the cold air get right round me instead.
I bought one of those neotec air jobbies but it wasn’t man enough for me. Those ones you have look a lot thicker and warmer. :thumb2

I have found that the feet of various camp beds damage the groundsheet of the tent that's why returned to using my Exped mat.

I have found that the feet of various camp beds damage the groundsheet of the tent that's why returned to using my Exped mat.

That's always crossed my mind; there's a lot of weight being concentrated on small points; a bit like a fat burd standing on yer foot in stilletos;:D.
The big double cot me and the Mrs use when we take the grandkids in the big tent has plastic cups to put under the feet to spread the load out more; it would't take much to improvise something for the smaller cots.

If it's warmth underneath and you are spending Helinox money you need an Exped Downmat. They fold down very small. I wouldn't normally spend that sort of money but picked up a Winterlite some years ago in a sale. Being down they mustn't be blown up by mouth the damp breath doesn't do the feathers much good. Mine came with a Schnozzel pumpsack.

They get positive reviews.

Description here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qee9mSBCHWo

tom

I think it’s a choice between the Exped Downmat 9LW and the Exped Megamat 10. I can’t make my mind up! :blast

I think it’s a choice between the Exped Downmat 9LW and the Exped Megamat 10. I can’t make my mind up! :blast

I have both and it's the MegaMat every time unless I'm carrying it.

Aah, that’s interesting then. I was leaning more towards the Downmat purely down to pack size. I’ll only ever be using it on my bike and not carrying it on my person. Could you elaborate on why you’d go for the megamat please? Ta.

Aah, that’s interesting then. I was leaning more towards the Downmat purely down to pack size. I’ll only ever be using it on my bike and not carrying it on my person. Could you elaborate on why you’d go for the megamat please? Ta.

The Downmat 9WL feels very much like an inflatable air bed to me. It's very scrunchy when you move about, this may be down to the tubes down it's length.
Inflating it means giving it CPR for about 10 minutes.
On the plus side, it is warm & can be folded down the middle before being rolled up.
The Megamat is like being in bed at home. It has a soft velour feel, and the way the sides are vertical means you never feel like you're rolling off it.
I have mine so loose it can actually be folded in half. But when you lie down it just spreads your weight perfectly with no lumps, squeaks or rough edges.
The supplied pump is better than the integrated jobbie on the Downmat, but still nothing special. As mentioned earlier, the schnozzel bag would be quicker for both, but I spent the extra on the Exped pillow .... which is also great.

The Megamat I would replace without question (despite the 50% price hike since I got mine 6 or 7 years ago). The Downmat probably not so, due to such infrequent use and stiff competition at a much lower price.

My Downmat doesn't have the built in pump.

The Schnozzel pumpsack is very efficient as can be seen from the video. It does pack small.

tom

My Downmat doesn't have the built in pump.

The Schnozzel pumpsack is very efficient as can be seen from the video. It does pack small.

tom

Is yours the lightweight version?

The Downmat 9WL feels very much like an inflatable air bed to me. It's very scrunchy when you move about, this may be down to the tubes down it's length.
Inflating it means giving it CPR for about 10 minutes.
On the plus side, it is warm & can be folded down the middle before being rolled up.
The Megamat is like being in bed at home. It has a soft velour feel, and the way the sides are vertical means you never feel like you're rolling off it.
I have mine so loose it can actually be folded in half. But when you lie down it just spreads your weight perfectly with no lumps, squeaks or rough edges.
The supplied pump is better than the integrated jobbie on the Downmat, but still nothing special. As mentioned earlier, the schnozzel bag would be quicker for both, but I spent the extra on the Exped pillow .... which is also great.

The Megamat I would replace without question (despite the 50% price hike since I got mine 6 or 7 years ago). The Downmat probably not so, due to such infrequent use and stiff competition at a much lower price.

Brilliant. Thanks for the explanation! :thumb2
I’m gonna order myself a Megamat. And pillow. Did you get the pillow case for yours?

Right, all I need now is a very warm sleeping bag for a bigfatfuck. :D
The search begins.

I’m gonna order myself a Megamat. And pillow. Did you get the pillow case for yours?

The search begins.

Depending on your budget have a look at mountain equipment down sleeping bags.

The search begins.

dont waste your time, they are all massive in size and the bit you sleep on is a waste as there is no air in it to no insulation. The matteres will keep the bottom warm or get one of the marathon runner tin foil blanket things and put that down under the matt you will be surprised how much heat it will bounce back up, then look for a down quilt, I have the thermarest one but there are loads to choose from now, and it is warm as toast, I got a fitted sheet that fits the exped and it has poppers on to attach the quilt and the whole thing is good enough for camping in sub zero tempretures

dont waste your time, they are all massive in size and the bit you sleep on is a waste as there is no air in it to no insulation. The matteres will keep the bottom warm or get one of the marathon runner tin foil blanket things and put that down under the matt you will be surprised how much heat it will bounce back up, then look for a down quilt, I have the thermarest one but there are loads to choose from now, and it is warm as toast, I got a fitted sheet that fits the exped and it has poppers on to attach the quilt and the whole thing is good enough for camping in sub zero tempretures

Down quilt ? Is that a new thing for camping as I have not heard of them before. Although I wouldn't get shut of my sleeping bag as I just had it re furbished.

I already have a “warm” sleeping bag. It’s a Snugpak Softie 12. A superb bag which packs down nice and small. I need a “cold” sleeping bag for Norway and Iceland trips now.
Think I’m deffo gonna get a Megamat 10LW. :thumb2 It’ll only be carried on my GS.

Down quilt ? Is that a new thing for camping as I have not heard of them before. Although I wouldn't get shut of my sleeping bag as I just had it re furbished.

no I have been using it for years, I think they called it a down comforter then, and they did 3 levels, mine was the alpine I think. I have a couple of down bags as well, sungpak down to -20 I even have a selk suit, I use the quilt untill its really really cold and then use the selk suit, and thats almost two warm

no I have been using it for years, I think they called it a down comforter then, and they did 3 levels, mine was the alpine I think. I have a couple of down bags as well, sungpak down to -20 I even have a selk suit, I use the quilt untill its really really cold and then use the selk suit, and thats almost two warm

Thanks. I will take a look at one of those for summer camping.

Hi all,

I've just taken look at the Megamat and it looks great... One question from me for those that have one is can you fold them down smaller than the suggested 70cm pack size? Only asking as i'm not sure if it will fit in my soft luggage?

Many thanks.

Hi all,

I've just taken look at the Megamat and it looks great... One question from me for those that have one is can you fold them down smaller than the suggested 70cm pack size? Only asking as i'm not sure if it will fit in my soft luggage?

Many thanks.

probably not, they roll up, but dont fold so its the full width of the mat and then just rolled up

Back
Top Bottom