Camp bed

probably not, they roll up, but dont fold so its the full width of the mat and then just rolled up

Thanks Bowser, i'll be sticking to my Coleman Airbed comfort mattress for my camping trip up north next month then...

Thanks Bowser, i'll be sticking to my Coleman Airbed comfort mattress for my camping trip up north next month then...

To be honest my anwser is based on the fact that I dont have one for pretty much exactly the same reason, and did all the checking looking at them a while ago.

Hi all,

I've just taken look at the Megamat and it looks great... One question from me for those that have one is can you fold them down smaller than the suggested 70cm pack size? Only asking as i'm not sure if it will fit in my soft luggage?

Many thanks.
In a word, no. I’ve just bought the MegaMat 10 LXW. They stay the full width and not possible to fold it in half. They do however come in their own roll top dry bag. You don’t need to get them into a pannier because they won’t get wet. They are very light and VERY comfy! Mine will sit on a platform where the top box was. You will never be bothered by the size or weight if strapped onto a top box or across the rear seat. HTH. :thumb2

In a word, no. I’ve just bought the MegaMat 10 LXW. They stay the full width and not possible to fold it in half. They do however come in their own roll top dry bag. You don’t need to get them into a pannier because they won’t get wet. They are very light and VERY comfy! Mine will sit on a platform where the top box was. You will never be bothered by the size or weight if strapped onto a top box or across the rear seat. HTH. :thumb2

Cheers Udders,

I've been looking at the Megamat as well as the Thermarest Mondo King 3D and the new Robens Sunstone 80 and eventually decided on the Robens version. It's 2cms thinner than both the Exped and the Thermarest and rolls down smaller. The clincher for me was both the packed sze and the width of the mat. My tent is relatively small so a wider mat will take up more floor space in the tent and leave less space for my other crap...I'm also a fan of Robens gear, great quality and works well so i'm hoping it will work well for me. Should arrive tomorrow so i'll update this thread with some info and pics.

If you want to take a look at them you can find them here:

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter/sleeping-mats/robens-sunstone-80-sleeping-mat__42258

Cheers Udders,

I've been looking at the Megamat as well as the Thermarest Mondo King 3D and the new Robens Sunstone 80 and eventually decided on the Robens version. It's 2cms thinner than both the Exped and the Thermarest and rolls down smaller. The clincher for me was both the packed sze and the width of the mat. My tent is relatively small so a wider mat will take up more floor space in the tent and leave less space for my other crap...I'm also a fan of Robens gear, great quality and works well so i'm hoping it will work well for me. Should arrive tomorrow so i'll update this thread with some info and pics.

If you want to take a look at them you can find them here:

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter/sleeping-mats/robens-sunstone-80-sleeping-mat__42258

I'm not seeing any gains in pack size or price over the 7.5cm Megamat I own. If it's just a brand thing that get's your vote, then crack on.
But I would just replace mine with another Exped as it's proven itself over the years of use.
Fits in an Akto no problem ... and tents don't get much snugger than that.

I'm not seeing any gains in pack size or price over the 7.5cm Megamat I own. If it's just a brand thing that get's your vote, then crack on.
But I would just replace mine with another Exped as it's proven itself over the years of use.
Fits in an Akto no problem ... and tents don't get much snugger than that.

I was looking at the Megamat 10 (the 7.5 is no longer available) which is 11cms wider than the Robens version and when packed down is 25cms x 79 cms whereas the Robens packs down to 68cms x 17cms. The Robens version is also lighter by almost half a kilo and considerably cheaper at £135 as opposed to £170 which is the cheapest i could find it...

I like my comfort at night now. :D If that comes at a slightly bigger pack size then so be it. :thumb2 I’ve had shit nights sleep in tents in the past, not going there again. :D

A mine of information ye are!

Thanks so much folks for all the real life info, a sleeping mat is my next purchase for comfy bike camping.

Previously used a mini camp bed heliox copy and a classic Thermarest pad.
since then the years havent been kind to my size so now am a full sized porker and looking for a supportive sleeping pad..... also a side sleeper as well as being over weight.

Before reading your comments my short list was:

Sea to Summit Comfort plus SI mat regular wide, 63x183x8 open,, 22x34cm closed.

Thermarest Neoair Topo Luxe regular wide, 64x183x10 open 28x15cm closed.

Exped Megamat 10LXW, 77x197x10 open, 79x25cm closed.

Thermarest Mondoking 3D 64x196x11 open, 66x26cm closed.

Would really appreciate any comments that might help me eliminate a few more unsuitables.

Pack size to be considered somewhat, pack weight not an issue, low cost vrs a good nights sleep..... sleep wins.

I look forward and appreciate all comments and the time it took to type them.

Mike

PS Have a good down mix sleeping bag that I'm happy with. Camping is a Spring/Summer activity only.

If it’s purely comfort you’re after and not worried about pack size the the MegaMat 10 LXW is the only one! :thumb2 Get it out of its own roll top dry bag, unroll it, leave it for 15 mins to self inflate then top it off with the sponge pump thing. Perfection! :thumb2

Having recently purchased the Robens Sunstone 80 I'd also recommend taking a look at it.. Less than an inch smaller (in depth) than the Exped, 3cms longer but 7 cms narrower but for using on a bike it packs down considerable smaller (17cms dia over 25cms) and is just under half a kilo lighter..

Now down to three,

Robens sunstone 80.

Thermarest Mondoking 3d

Exped Megamat 10 xlw.

The exped is sofar first choice but its pack size on the bike is concerning me a little. This is alieviated by the drysac bag it comes in tbh.
Is this bag waterproof?
Will it be too big across the back of a 2017 GS with Metal side panniers, space also needed for sleeping bag and tent, also in drysacs?

Reports say the Mondo is a little noisy when moving around but very supportive for the heavier frame, bag not waterproof but smaller than the Exped.

The Robens is the better size both open and closed, but theres not much in it. Is the robens as supportive as the Exped?
Robens is a good brand so quality wouldnt bother me here. Is it as supportive as the Exped?

Thanks.

Now down to three,

Robens sunstone 80.

Thermarest Mondoking 3d

Exped Megamat 10 xlw.

The exped is sofar first choice but its pack size on the bike is concerning me a little. This is alieviated by the drysac bag it comes in tbh.
Is this bag waterproof?
Will it be too big across the back of a 2017 GS with Metal side panniers, space also needed for sleeping bag and tent, also in drysacs?

Reports say the Mondo is a little noisy when moving around but very supportive for the heavier frame, bag not waterproof but smaller than the Exped.

The Robens is the better size both open and closed, but theres not much in it. Is the robens as supportive as the Exped?
Robens is a good brand so quality wouldnt bother me here. Is it as supportive as the Exped?

Thanks.

Thats the same 3 that i was down to:D

Can't comment on whether or not the Robens is as supportive as the Exped as i haven't tried the Exped. What i can say is that i called a company that were selling both of them (Trekkit.co.uk) and spoke to Tim in their service centre who advised that in terms of comfort the 2cms difference in height wouldn't make a lot of difference as they are both structured the same. He did, however advise that the Exped is considerably bigger than the Robens when packed and that was the clincher for me...:thumb2

Thats the same 3 that i was down to:D

Can't comment on whether or not the Robens is as supportive as the Exped as i haven't tried the Exped. What i can say is that i called a company that were selling both of them (Trekkit.co.uk) and spoke to Tim in their service centre who advised that in terms of comfort the 2cms difference in height wouldn't make a lot of difference as they are both structured the same. He did, however advise that the Exped is considerably bigger than the Robens when packed and that was the clincher for me...:thumb2

Thank you..... Great minds think alike on mat choice.

I think we have solved the problem...... I hope! Looked on the Exped website, they do sell other sizes as well as the LXW megamat 10. They have a Exped Megamat 10MW @ 183x65x10 open and 67x20cm wrapped up.
Their site says the side loading stuff sac is waterproof.
This to me is ticking all my boxes for the most part.
The width is the same as most other mats and wider than my current Thermarest Classic.
It has the thickness/support that my size needs and is ideally suited to a side sleeper.
Its wrapped up size is nearly identical to the Robens which appealed to me.
The shorter length is my only comprimise at 183cm but as I am only 178cm it should still do the job.
Had a look online and best price delivered to Ireland from a Dutch site is €182.00 incl all charges and its confirmed as in stock.

I think I may push the big red button on this .... unless there is something else ye can see that I'm missing out on?

Thanks for all the help again..... A mine of info and not just for BMW motorcycles.

Pressed the Big Red Button seeing as I didnt hear any negative comments back from ye.

Bought the Exped Megamat 10MW.

Will report back here when I get it and use it a little so the info may be of use to others.

Thanks again folks.

Pressed the Big Red Button seeing as I didnt hear any negative comments back from ye.

Bought the Exped Megamat 10MW.

Will report back here when I get it and use it a little so the info may be of use to others.

Thanks again folks.

Funny you should say that!

Last trip away, I noticed my megamat was losing a tiny bit of air each night.
So, earlier I pumped it up hard & hosed it down. I found a tiny air leak of a pin head bubble every couple of seconds.
Now this is no puncture caused by penetration, and woner if it's the porous issue Timolgra has spoken of?

It is presently drying in the sun, and once dry I will apply 3 coats of the provided solution to see if it seals it back up.

The mat is 7 or 8 years old, so can't complain about the hundred quid it cost back then.

I only thought about it as I just put an order in with AllOutdoor, with a 10% discount code, and noticed they still sell them.

ALLEXPLORE10OFF

...... if it's of any use to someone!

Back
Top Bottom