Basecamp + MacOS Big Sur

sanqhar

Reaction score
I know the thread "Basecamp + MacOS Big Sur" is closed. However I still have a question.

peejay1977 posted

"New version of BaseCamp is out with updates to fix issues with Big Sur. Thread can probably be closed "

In view of the different versions which site, Garmin or the App Store, has the latest version?

tom

This from the Garmin downloads page - as above.

Change History

Changes made from version 4.8.10 to 4.8.11:
Fixed compatibility issues with macOS 11 Big Sur

The version on the App Store is still at 4.8.9.

Sadly the AppStore is still ( 24Dec) only offering 4.8.9 . Furthermore , if Basecamp is installed from the AppStore , then it has no ‘check for updates’ facility.
However , go straight to Garmin ( which is not recommended by Apple ) if you want 4.8.11, which works with BigSur and furthermore will have ‘check for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basecamp FIXED with big sur

New update available

fixes 2d map with big sur.

Apple store version 4.8.11

That’s odd.

I have just fired up my big iMac at home, running Big Sur 11.3.1 and BaseCamp 4.8.11 which I think are the latest versions of each?

BaseCamp is now slow to load from the home screen and pretty slow to plot even a simple A to B 5.7 mile route. It’s no faster in 3-D view either.

I have found the only successful work around to the slow point to point calculation, is to use what is thankfully my preferred method of route creation.

Imagine a 200 mile A to B route. Put in the start and end points only and ask BaseCamp to create a route between them. This it will do reasonably quickly, configuring it in line with your personal preference settings. Then just use the route shaping tool to drag and pin the route to take the roads you want to follow. For some reason this calculation seems to be faster than a simple A to B 6 mile route.

That’s odd.

I have just fired up my big iMac at home, running Big Sur 11.3.1 and BaseCamp 4.8.11 which I think are the latest versions of each?

BaseCamp is now slow to load from the home screen and pretty slow to plot even a simple A to B 5.7 mile route. It’s no faster in 3-D view either.

Sorry Wapping I've only just seen your reply. 11.4 of Big Sur is in RC at the moment but for me it still doesn't resolve my issues but it's odd your experience has changed slightly in terms of performance. Unfortunately I'm currently unable to use BaseCamp at all as it still won't calculate any route on my Mac despite me doing a full factory reset and installing 11.3.1 of BigSur and my trusty old Windows 10 machine has now gone pop after 8 years of loyal service.

I've just updated my M1 MacBook to macOS 12 Preview and although the 2D map is still jerky, the route planning/calculation has miraculously started working again.

Is it worth reporting that no issues with Basecamp 4.8.11 on my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4. ?No M1 chip here but 2d and 3d route planning are good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom