Austria, north of Salzburg - 300 km circular loop

Wapping

Reaction score
Lifted from Alpentourer magazine 1/2021 and available as a download from their website, as usual:

https://www.alpentourer.eu/alpentourer-tourentipps/gps-2101/

The route downloads OK. Here it is in Pocket Earth Pro, using nothing more than an IPad. Ignore the straight line; sometimes some data leaks through, which would be easy enough to edit out in BaseCamp.

43e7f97efd83870ab6e065bc423e6969.png

Here’s the original article. Yes it’s in foreign but with a little imagination you can work out what the key details are:

7bfec2c6430660c4290e76deab104577.png

And a picture cut from the magazine. You can see the Austrian Alps away in the distance:

48536e645210075e6ee09801b5308fee.png

0aba965847e086e943beabf92b7a552a.png

To show just how far a lilltle imagination can take you, I Googled ‘motorradtouren innviertel’, the second word being the Austrian region around which the magazine article and route are based. I had never heard ‘Innviertel’ used before but a quick Goggle told me all about it.

Google threw up lots of ideas, so I just picked one that looked promising:

e7e68d5b21dfb961a6038f6b485d1cba.png

I then tapped about in the website, which then threw up other motorcycle jaunt suggestions:

a0658aa3297cfb3c4ff311902a85205c.png

Instant holidays, all on an iPad, with no effort at all. If I can do it, anyone can.

Just tapping on the Google suggestion of the Kurvenkoenig website, threw up another:

fcb30b21483c9a42328cbbe3bbdf264a.png

By now you’d need to be pretty dumb not to realise that the area must be packed with decent roads to ride. You’d also be pretty insecure in your nylon socks not to hazard a guess that if there are lots of motorbike-centric websites, there must be lots of motorcycles, which must mean there must be lots of ‘biker friendly’ hotels, pandering to their needs.

After the shite of 2020, 2021 should hopefully be a great year for bods to get out and find stuff for themselves. There are enough threads on UKGSer on how to do it, very easily. Most of the UK and Ireland is currently locked up, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Spend some time finding out what YOU can find out for YOURSELF and not ask UKGSer to do it all for you. After all, it’s why you bought an Adevnture (with a capital A) motorcycle and ride it..... to prove your manly rugged independence.

Indeed it does, Neil. Well worth a look for the Orangemen amongst us.

I remember going to the Sammy Miller bike museum on a day trip with some mates. Ride there and back? Great fun. The museum? Looked at three bikes and then spent two hours in the cafe :D

As orange as I am, I'll give the museum a miss ta .... :D

Every body should experience the Grossglockner .... :thumb

I have HALF experienced the Grossglockner. Riding South to North, from Lienz to Zell, on a Sunday, my R1200GS was hit by the dreaded fuel pump controller failure. Started failing intermittently on the way to the top (and it's not a road where you want any uncertainty whether the bike is going to pick up when you open the throttle). Stopped completely on the way down, necessitating a call to Carole Nash breakdown, an unplanned overnight stay in Kaprun*, and a visit to a ruthlessly efficient BMW dealer in the morning. Fixed in a couple of hours. Mad dash to catch up with touring bikermates who had of course continued without me.

PIC_0067-M.jpg

The bottle of water next to the bike was delivered to me by another member of this forum, Garry H. He was passing, stopped to see if he could help, then returned 20 mins later with a bottle of cold fizzy water (it was a roasting hot day).

Going back to enjoy Grossglockner and more of Austria is on my 'to do' list...

I still like Austria, though! The Tyrol was full of big scenery, empty roads and cheap petrol.

*I did experience what seemed to be the worst overt racism in the B&B that was booked for me in Kaprun. Breakfast in the morning, a black family entered the dining room. Other residents tutted, turned their backs etc, and the owner ushered them through to a separate room! Of course, there may have been a back story of which I wasn't aware...

*I did experience what seemed to be the worst overt racism in the B&B that was booked for me in Kaprun. Breakfast in the morning, a black family entered the dining room. Other residents tutted, turned their backs etc, and the owner ushered them through to a separate room! Of course, there may have been a back story of which I wasn't aware...

Probably Jews.

You could've called her for the 'bike filled with diesel' incident. Though I expect she'd have pissed herself laughing too.

Or for the K1600 broken down within sight of the cafe at the top of the Grossglockner during our Olympics Avoidance Tour. My u-turn across rivers of coolant to pick Rory up and ferry him to the top still gives me nightmares.

Or for the K1600 broken down within sight of the cafe at the top of the Grossglockner during our Olympics Avoidance Tour. My u-turn across rivers of coolant to pick Rory up and ferry him to the top still gives me nightmares.

I was just thinking of the same thing when I read the stout guardian’s post.

386301a13bc0956e604fea7e0b37c82f.jpg

This was it just blowing the last of its coolant after I’d ridden it up to the cafe at the top.

Back
Top Bottom