Got my E Bike - Now need tow ball carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBKLR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have posted a wanted add in the Items wanted section, I have now received my Kalkhoff Entice after 8 months or so. Bike is awesome and is going to make local lockdown here a lot more fun. I am interested to know if anyone is using a lowball mounted carrier that takes two EMTB's and works on a car with a rear door mounted spare wheel like my Landy.
Also - If you happen to have something you no longer use, please drop a pm to my wanted ad

I have a Thule Easy fold 2. Eye wateringly expensive but cheap carriers just don't cut it when you have the weight (and expense!!) of 2 E bikes on the back. Even though it's rated for the weight of my 2 I still remove the batteries in transit to reduce the load. I can't comment on the spare wheel issue but I suppose it will depend on how far to the rear your tow bar protrudes. The Easy fold umm folds up, so it will easily fit in your boot when you arrive at your destination. Like I said, very expensive so not wise to leave in view on the tow bar when you're away cycling.

I have a Thule like the one below. Carried 4 standard MTBs on it without issue. I'm sure it will cope with 2 eMTBs. I'd pay a little more and get a 3 bike one rather a 2 bike, simply as it allows that bit more space between two bikes. You'd have to look at how far the towbar protrudes and the height of the A frame on the rack to suss out whether it will work or can be made to work. (I'm happy to measure the height of mine but it will be tomorrow now....weather and a pitch black shed)

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/thule-velocompact-3-bike-carrier-927.html

Thanks Davey and SPM - I will measure the offset in the morning and add that in to the thread - hopefully someone on here has run this set up already. Point noted about removing the batteries though - both bikes are 25KG which is fine for the nose weight on the tow bar (even with a heavyish carrier).

Hi, FYI I've been putting bikes on all sorts of cars for years, but not electric ones, which are clearly heavier.

My sixth penny worth is:

The ones which just fasten to the ball, can be dodgy, as they rely on a clamp to the ball, they do however strap back to the vehicle, whether window or spare wheel, which can be very secure. To your advantage I'd rather strap back to a spare wheel.

The better ones have a plate which sits between the two bar plate and the ball fitting, but this does not apply to swan neck set ups. As this way the chassis is taking much of the weight, they are also strapped back to the window or spare wheel. They are usually a pole and arms which slides into the towbar fitting, and can be removed when not in use. Dead strong and very cheap, lots on ebay, new and second hand.

Third issue as you've mentioned is how far the cycle rack can span out to avoid any interference with the spare wheel, this will be your deciding factor. And I think the set up immediately above gives you more strength. You can cut and weld the cheaper ones to either straddle either side of the wheel or span out further.

So food for thought, but which ever way you go, be 100% certain the setup up is solid, attached solidly, and has plenty belt and braces(straps) in place. Also protect any bars with the rubber sleeves, (the bike frame normally sits on them)and I always carry old foam or yoga mats to put between bikes to stop damage but allows with tightening everything against eachother, this way without scratching etc. As electric bikes are fecking expensive, especially when you see them in the rear view mirror cartwheeling down the road into following traffic.

good luck and enjoy the bikes

Ali

[QUOTE both bikes are 25KG which is fine for the nose weight on the tow bar (even with a heavyish carrier).[/QUOTE]

Trust me, once you see 50 kg of expensive E bikes bouncing around at the rear of your vehicle you will want to reduce as much of the weight as you can:D

The ones which just fasten to the ball, can be dodgy, as they rely on a clamp to the ball, they do however strap back to the vehicle, whether window or spare wheel, which can be very secure. To your advantage I'd rather strap back to a spare wheel.

You've me at a loss with this? The very well regarded Thule towball ones clamp onto the towball and you lock it in place. It does not move if done properly. The bikes are held on the rack with a locking arm and two straps on the wheels and that's it. Nothing at all in the way of a strap to the car (or spare wheel). I've done thousands of miles with 2,3 and 4 bikes on it without any issue at all. Thule are right up with the very best. Placed properly and used properly, no matting, padding etc is required.

You've me at a loss with this? The very well regarded Thule towball ones clamp onto the towball and you lock it in place. It does not move if done properly. The bikes are held on the rack with a locking arm and two straps on the wheels and that's it. Nothing at all in the way of a strap to the car (or spare wheel). I've done thousands of miles with 2,3 and 4 bikes on it without any issue at all. Thule are right up with the very best. Placed properly and used properly, no matting, padding etc is required.

Apols, Daveyb correct on all fronts, I was thinking of the older style ones and forgot to mention the Thule style ones in my list.

Thule are top notch, and that's what you pay for. He will have better observations on them than me.

Good luck

Thanks all - lots of great advice. Jasext - that looks great but I don't think it will work with the door mounted spare wheel. If they have a three or four bike version it might - will pop over to Halfords and have a look

This is what the back end looks like
09c950f5f3aa354a8573cc2e149b9f5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How far does the towball protrude, that is the critical factor. Obviously a clamp-on type involves massive leverage when fitted.

I've just bought (but not yet used) a Westfalia BC60 clamp-on one secondhand. I nearly bought a new Buzzrack E-Scorpion 2 from the Roof Box Company. Much cheaper than Thule or Atera. I got the nearly-new Westfalia for under £200 on eBay.

Measure your protrusion (!) then look up the instructions online for likely candidates to see whether they fit.

HTH

A

Measure your protrusion (!) then look up the instructions online for likely candidates to see whether they fit.

HTH

A

This.
If it were me (who uses a bike rack a fair bit) I'd take the wheel off and store it inside the rear of the vehicle so that I don't have to butcher a bike rack or risk having it too far put at the back with a chunk of weight on it.

I have the same problem with my spare wheel on the back of the g wagon. The only solution for me is to remove the spare and put it in the boot. Which is a ball ache.

I think the only solution is to take the spare wheel off, I have an Atera Strada Dl 2 which will take an ebike and an acoustic mtb, they do have bike carriers tha will take 2 Ebike’s though.

Lxe80uW.jpg

would a Maxxraxx suit you? I have one that would take 4 bikes i don't use. I think it is the std one but wouldn't be too difficult to modify to suit

Col

Thanks everyone for inputs - and I wish I had seen your post Col, I ordered a Thule rack and extension piece to fit. Will know next week if it works or not. All the best, Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom