Electrical experts...LED's

Decompressing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick question to the floor. Fitted some LED lights recently. Before I installed them, obviously tested them to make sure they worked (which they did). However, when I first tried them, reversed the polarity as I was interested to see if they'd work (they didn't).

Wired them up on the bike and inadvertently reversed the polarity which blew both of them. The only difference is the Optimate was still connected to the bike and switched on.

Any observations, other than than the obvious one of make sure they're connected correctly and without the Optimate connected!

Why would having the Optimate connected cause them to blow? They're dual voltage lights 12/24v too.

TIA

Quick question to the floor. Fitted some LED lights recently. Before I installed them, obviously tested them to make sure they worked (which they did). However, when I first tried them, reversed the polarity as I was interested to see if they'd work (they didn't).

Wired them up on the bike and inadvertently reversed the polarity which blew both of them. The only difference is the Optimate was still connected to the bike and switched on.

Any observations, other than than the obvious one of make sure they're connected correctly and without the Optimate connected!

Why would having the Optimate connected cause them to blow? They're dual voltage lights 12/24v too.

TIA

The reversed polarity would have done the damage to the LEDs but I don't think the optimate would have had any affect at all.

Was there no inline fuses installed when fitting?

Patria o Muerte

No fuse as I’m powering them off a canbus circuit. Just weird the way that reversing the polarity had no negative effect on them before (they just wouldn’t illuminate if the wires were the wrong way round) but when the optimate is connected, both lamps blew.

Have they really blown?

AFAIk if the polarity was wrong they dont work, its as simple as that,

have you taken them off and tried them idividually? it may be there not getting enough power to start, or they have tripped the can circuit and it's shut that circuit down

What bike and what led units ?

Have they really blown?

AFAIk if the polarity was wrong they dont work, its as simple as that,

have you taken them off and tried them idividually? it may be there not getting enough power to start, or they have tripped the can circuit and it's shut that circuit down

What bike and what led units ?

They’re definitely blown, I heard something go pop in the lights when it happened. They’re rear fog lamps. I’ve tested them independently of the bikes power and they’re both dead. I’m convinced that it’s to do with the optimate being connected. Bikes a 2012 K1600.

Back
Top Bottom