end of the k1600

If they can make the oil cooled boxer R9T engine meet the latest euro standards then why not the K16 with it's higher tech engine?

Depends on whether they sell enough to make it worthwhile.

You have to question whether there is really a market for a big 6-cylinder bike. A nice flagship model, definitely, but sales numbers must have been relatively low compared to boxers (esp GSes), F-series twins and now 1000cc fours.

I love my K16 and can't think of another bike I'd rather have for two-up touring. The engine is really special - unbelievably smooth and so flexible. But I've read that the latest models (2017 on) have struggled to maintain smooth throttle response with ever-changing emissions standards.

Does it do anything a 1250RT does? Probably not. And I'm sure there will be a 1000cc plus four-cylinder tourer under development.

I love my K16 and can't think of another bike I'd rather have for two-up touring...

That lack of cognitive imagination lasted under a month :augie

But I've read that the latest models (2017 on) have struggled to maintain smooth throttle response with ever-changing emissions standards. .

Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

Does it do anything a 1250RT does? Probably not. And I'm sure there will be a 1000cc plus four-cylinder tourer under development.

I’ve had both. The 1250RT was basically my car, it’s a tool, does the job of my 200 mile round trip commute brilliantly.

I don’t do that any more so its gone.

K1600 was a hoot, but not quite as useful for me day to day. I’d put it up there with the 1290 SA-T. I may get one or t’other again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

... But I've read that the latest models (2017 on) have struggled to maintain smooth throttle response with ever-changing emissions standards ...

The K1600 has been around for 10 years now and was designed for Euro3. The 2017 facelift model was tweaked for Euro4 and they have made it very smooth which some like and some don't. I have had four Euro3 K16GTs and to Euro4, and the Euro4s have definitely lost something if you are after the sporty side of the bike, the first 5/10% of the throttle now does nothing, and 85% twist only give 50% throttle, and Dynamic mode is now really tame compared to the Euro3 model. I have had my throttle maps tweaked to make it more direct which I love, and if you look at the Bren Tuning website they have an ECU flash that basically puts the Euro3 throttle maps into a Euro4 ECU.

I am sure if it got through Euro5 they would have done it, but like a lot of older designs it was probably a step too far :mad:

The K1600 has been around for 10 years now and was designed for Euro3. The 2017 facelift model was tweaked for Euro4 and they have made it very smooth which some like and some don't. I have had four Euro3 K16GTs and to Euro4, and the Euro4s have definitely lost something if you are after the sporty side of the bike, the first 5/10% of the throttle now does nothing, and 85% twist only give 50% throttle, and Dynamic mode is now really tame compared to the Euro3 model. I have had my throttle maps tweaked to make it more direct which I love, and if you look at the Bren Tuning website they have an ECU flash that basically puts the Euro3 throttle maps into a Euro4 ECU.

I am sure if it got through Euro5 they would have done it, but like a lot of older designs it was probably a step too far :mad:

I've got an original 2011 model. How does the dynamic suspension compare on the newer one? Especially loaded?

You have to question whether there is really a market for a big 6-cylinder bike. A nice flagship model, definitely, but sales numbers must have been relatively low compared to boxers (esp GSes), F-series twins and now 1000cc fours.

Less than 5,000 out of 175,000 bikes sold in 2019 (down from c. 8,300 in 2018 out of 165,000) made them the bottom of the entire range for sales. I liked the ones I tested but to me they replaced the brilliant but slightly fragile K1300GT with a 50Kg heavier bike with more tech and less go. Maybe Euro5, declining sales and probably zero probable sales in 2021 made the decision easy - big tourers seem to be going the way of sports tourers 10 years ago.

I've got an original 2011 model. How does the dynamic suspension compare on the newer one? Especially loaded?

I much prefer the standard ESA2 compared to the Dynamic ESA on the K16GT. It can be quite a harsh ride and jolted my wife's back on our last tour. Seems to work really well on the GS, but not the K?

... but to me they replaced the brilliant but slightly fragile K1300GT with a 50Kg heavier bike with more tech and less go ...

Yeah, I had a K13GT before as well. I wonder how good a bike that would have been if they just updated it with all the new tech. I reckon it would have been fantastic :nenau

Back
Top Bottom