Robens green cone 4

Not for sale but Yes!, I have one and used it last year when we were allowed out between lockdowns.
I had 5 nights at the Lower Lode Inn on the banks of the River Severn at Tewkesbury in August.

Rode down there in the pissing rain - all the way! Still chucking it down when I arrived.
I waited an hour or so for a few other guys to arrive and by then the rain had stopped. We pitched our tents to the side of the pub who provided all our breakfasts and evening meals.

This was the third time I had used this tent. The first was at Squire's up at Leeds in July 2019. The tent's biggest advantage is the ease and speed of erection.
I leave the inner tent connected at all points and it really is quick.

In our group the only tent to go up quicker, including the Kyham one touch tents was the single skin teepee next to mine that cost the guy about a fifth of the Green Cone. Not only that but his stood up to the gale as well as mine did.
Yet a few of the other guys tents were very close to collapse and being blown away.

We had one night of non stop steady rain, one night where it blew a Hooley and I put out all the tie downs on the tent, one night where it softly rained from early morning to dawn and the last two nights were dry.

I was using my 03 RT, and had no issues with it packed across the rear seat.

The tent has lots of room in it and that I like.
With the pole angled to outside the inner tent there is no obstruction to whatever way you what to sleep.
I have a 3mx3m thick tarp that I used under the tent which gives me a floor to the porch area although you have to make sure you fold up and tuck in the sticking out bits else you get puddles inside the porch area.
I am a fat bastard and about 5'10'' and I like plenty of room.
The porch is big enough to take all 3 boxes off the RT, a small 2ft square table with burner and brew kit, bike boots and a folding stool.
With the door open you have shelter from the wind to cook and brew. If it is raining the shape of the tent will allow the rain into the porch area when the door is open.

I also carry 2 telescopic poles, guy ropes and a lightweight 3x3m fly sheet to make an extension over the doorway if I want to keep off the rain and provide a sun shade if needed. As yet I have not put it up.
Similar to this....

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/robens-tarp---superb-quality-tarp-51169-p.asp

But mine was a cheaper product.

I think it could be improved and made miles better if it incorporated this....

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/robens-front-porch-53292-p.asp

But with smaller fibre poles and sewn onto the tent.

i think with tents my biggest gripe is that all tents small enough to take on a bike and let me stand up do not have a built on "lean-too" type porch area that is either straight from top to bottom or projected out. They all lean back towards the tent creating an area where rain can get to the ground sheet or inner porch area.
can it be that difficult?

I find that with my kyam biker when it's raining.
Presume you can't buy a proper ground sheet for the green cone ?

50975089263_c5d8362cbf_k.jpg
[/url]40369190-B559-415B-9419-382CE2BC50F2 by sanqhar, on Flickr[/IMG]

Agree with what's said above, great tent. More than enough room for two, simply palatial for one.
I was going to make/fit a small porch last year but lockdown got in the way. I also have a cheap tarp to use as a footprint, This year I mean to cut it to size so no tucking in.

No worries about carrying it. It fits across the seat on my little GP450 no problem.

Picture shows it pitched without the guys, perfectly stable. I only use the guys in windy conditions.

Another good point is that the pole can be adjusted up to get the tent a bit higher and improve ventilation/airflow in warm weather.

tom

Do you find it needs a ground sheet ? My Kyham def required one.
If so i will purchase one before i use it.
Cheers

Do you find it needs a ground sheet ? My Kyham def required one.
If so i will purchase one before i use it.
Cheers

"Need" is debatable. In my photo, the first time I used the tent, I didn't have a groundsheet/footprint. I don't think the tent "needs" one.

However, I prefer to use one for two main reasons.

1. The off chance of stone damage.

2. When packing up all the folding etc. is done on the groundsheet not the dirty/muddy ground. You keep the tent clean(er). Packing a dirty groundsheet is easier than a dirty tent, with less work when you get home.

I still have one of the original (heavy) Khyam Biker tents from the 1990's. It's was too heavy for solo camping on a small bike which is how I ended up with the Green Cone. It's easy to put up, basically peg it out and insert pole. As I said in my post above you don't have to use the guys.

tom

50975089263_c5d8362cbf_k.jpg
[/url]40369190-B559-415B-9419-382CE2BC50F2 by sanqhar, on Flickr[/IMG]

Agree with what's said above, great tent. More than enough room for two, simply palatial for one.
I was going to make/fit a small porch last year but lockdown got in the way. I also have a cheap tarp to use as a footprint, This year I mean to cut it to size so no tucking in.

No worries about carrying it. It fits across the seat on my little GP450 no problem.

Picture shows it pitched without the guys, perfectly stable. I only use the guys in windy conditions.

Another good point is that the pole can be adjusted up to get the tent a bit higher and improve ventilation/airflow in warm weather.

tom

I think the cheaper ones have a sew in ground sheet.

One of the advantages of the cone/tipi design is that when it warms up in the sun the hot air leaving the top vent draws in cooler air at ground level; a sewn in groundsheet would negate this.

The Robens Green Cone has always had a sewn in groundsheet.
In my posts above I have been talking about a footprint to go under the sewn in groundsheet.

The inner tent has mesh air vents with zipped covers at the bottom and mesh at the top of the cone. With the tent on its higher setting and the vents open the airflow is better compared to the inner vents closed and the outer close to the ground on its low setting.

Tom

I might if I don't like mine but need to use it first.

Always happy to take an unused one at reasonable price ����

What are people paying for a new one of these. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom