Robens green cone 4

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I fancy buying a new tent and looking at the green cone 4. Any of you lads got one ? I know one lad has one but cannot message him.
Always been a khyam man but fancy a change.

Cheers Doc

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Khyam are offering 30 to50% off their range at present.............

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Khyam are offering 30 to50% off their range at present.............

Cheers but i have a khyam biker which i do like. I have decided to call It Covid boredom so i need to buy something.:D

I've got the Luxe megahorn 3 which isn't an affliction but a similar tent to the green cone and find it a bit awkward space and use wise as I can just about stand up in it and I think it's higher than the green cone. Backpacking light offer some good alternatives Tipi wise and are a family business if supporting small shops is any interest to you.

I've got the Luxe megahorn 3 which isn't an affliction but a similar tent to the green cone and find it a bit awkward space and use wise as I can just about stand up in it and I think it's higher than the green cone. Backpacking light offer some good alternatives Tipi wise and are a family business if supporting small shops is any interest to you.

I will have a look thanks.

Cheers

Didn't use my Green Cone this year because of lockdown.
Haven't changed my mind (see my posts in the previous threads). It's more than enough room for two and a positive mansion for one. It is easy to put up and take down.

Couple of old reviews here:
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Robens-Green-Cone/3850
Thoughts here:
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Robens-Green-Cone/3850

tom

Cheers. Does it need a ground sheet ? I always use one with my Khyam.
I was going to pm you but couldn't for some reason.

Hi Doc,
I use a Wickiup 4 by Nigor (Dutch company) you have a selection of different inners, a 2 and a 4 person. To protect the groundsheet I use a 3M sq tarp.
Most of the time I use the 2 person inner which gives me an area under the fly for cooking. All in weight less than 2kg including the pole which gives me 6ft inside.

Not cheap, but worth it.

Cheers

Cheers. Does it need a ground sheet ? I always use one with my Khyam.
I was going to pm you but couldn't for some reason.

I've not used one, only in the porch. You could of course use a large ground sheet to take up space in the porch and under part or all of the tent.

I did contact Robens about a smaller inner tent and did not get a helpful answer. I'm still looking for something that will do the job. It's a great tent but if solo camping, it can get a bit chilly.

my brother in law has one and says its fantastic, but he is a fecking midget and can stand up in one

I've not used one, only in the porch. You could of course use a large ground sheet to take up space in the porch and under part or all of the tent.

I did contact Robens about a smaller inner tent and did not get a helpful answer. I'm still looking for something that will do the job. It's a great tent but if solo camping, it can get a bit chilly.

The inner tent has a sewn in groundsheet. I bought a cheap groundsheet for a footprint. No problem using it. I intended to cut it down to the tent shape this summer but didn't get around it. I also bought a small tarp to use as a porch. The only problem is how to fix it to the tent as there is no external pole to attach to. Not sorted that either.

Like your idea of a smaller inner tent, keep us posted. Must admit that I find September camping a bit chilly. I set it up with the pole on its lower setting with the outer tent close to the ground. This reduces the ventilation between inner and outer. I haven't camped in hot weather yet.

I have read somewhere that the canvas Fairbanks tent has a similar shape footprint, not sure whether it would fit.

Tom

The only problem with the Tipi type tents is if it's raining it needs to be closed because of water getting in through the entrance; if you have no inner ground sheet at the door area it should'nt be a problem because the grass will soak up the water; a couple of mates have them and love their ease of use;:okay

Bought one from a member on here. See how i like it when we can eventually get out.

I bought a Halfords quick-up dome tent last week, which are in their sale for half price, £45.
Didn't intend to, as i went in to buy a headlight bulb.:blast

It doesn't have the smallest packed size but it's not too bad (33"x8"x8"), sits across the panniers.
The trade off being it goes up in one/two minutes which can only be a bonus when on expedition
down the Moselle Valley and stopping at a different campsite each day.
It's sold as a 4 man which is creative advertising to say the least, but great for a bod and his kit in
comfort (I like comfort:D).

Not tried it in anger yet but intend giving it an airing in spring.

(It says in the link it goes up in 10 min's, but I found this was a vast over estimate. Easily done in one/two minutes).
Worth a punt at £45.
https://youtu.be/7wCaMy_PjyY

I bought a Halfords quick-up dome tent last week, which are in their sale for half price, £45.
Didn't intend to, as i went in to buy a headlight bulb.:blast

It doesn't have the smallest packed size but it's not too bad (33"x8"x8" sits across the panniers).
The trade off being it goes up in one/two minutes which can only be a bonus when on expedition
down the Moselle Valley and stopping at a different campsite each day.
It's sold as a 4 man which is creative advertising to say the least, but great for a bod and his kit in
comfort (I like comfort:D).

Not tried it in anger yet but intend giving it an airing in spring.

(It says in the link it goes up in 10 min's, but I found this was a vast over estimate. Easily done in one/two minutes).
Worth a punt at £45.
https://youtu.be/7wCaMy_PjyY

Might have a khyam biker for sale.

Hi, does anyone have a green cone for sale, they don’t want. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom