Chinese TPMS Sensor on ’14 plate GS

philbuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone fitted these successfully?
My OEM sensor developed an intermittent fault which I initially attributed to a failing battery. I dug it out and put a new battery in and it worked for a while…………intermittently, then died!!

Put in a cheapo Chinese one.
Paired it to the bike prior to fitting (using GS911 and wake-up tool), and it correctly read 0 psi.
Put in on the wheel and then put the tyre on. Then it wouldn’t wake up. Rode the bike, still nothing.
There was an issue fitting the new tyre which involved a lot of banging, so I suspect I may have f**ked up the sensor.

Got another sensor and successfully paired it after waking it up. Tested ok reading 0 psi.
Fitted it to the bike, but very carefully this time. This one now also won’t wake up!!
My next step is to ride the bike but the weather is against me at this point.

Am I missing something here? I’ve tested two (what appeared to be) good sensors, then after fitting both of them, they refuse to read, or even acknowledge that they’re even fitted.

Regards
Phil

Following as I have an intermittent fault on my sensor too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got the bike out for an essential run, in the hope of seeing if the 2nd chinese sensor would kick into life with rotational activation.

Rode 2 miles to petrol station. Nothing!

Within 100 yds of leaving the petrol station, it was reading the pressure, on both instrument cluster and sat nav (as it should).
Within 5 miles it had stopped, and didn't read for the rest of the journey.

Took it out the next day for another essential tool pickup run, and it didn't read at all!

Inspected where the RDC is mounted (the bit that collects the sensor transmissions), and decided to clean up the plug and socket to the unit, and then ACF50 it.
To my surprise, the unit (upon prompting with the wake up tool), then started reading the tyre pressure.
I then repeated this excercise 3 more times, each time getting readings.

Next day (today) essential ride to test the unit, and with 100yds of leaving home, both sensors were reading correctly.
Stopped for fuel and they came on straight away after leaving the filling station, and stayed on for the return journey home. RESULT

Conclusion:- After chasing my tail with the sensor units, I fully suspect that it was either a dirty connection on the RDC, or else that unit has an intermittent fault, but it just had a "good day" today. My money's on the former reasoning.

Either way, more testing is required.
Hope this info helps someone

Maybe some of this will help.
Other than how many sensors the RT vs GS can keep in the RDC memory, it's the same principal.

https://youtu.be/4HAnT58b2DY
R1200RTW%20TPMS%20Programing%20with%20the%20GS-911-M.jpg

.................well the saga continued with the TPMS sensors.

In all, I tried 3 chinese ones, and they all showed different faults, such as being able to be bluetooth bound, and being identifiable, but then either reading zero psi when not in the tyre, and then not working when in the tyre, or intermittently working when they felt like it, or just packing up after so long (15 miles).
Changed batteries which made no difference at all!

Bit the bullet and bought the OEM sensor yesterday, and after yet another faff trying to re-bead the tyre, it all went together and has worked faultlessly on it's maiden voyage through Shropshire today. Didn't switch off once. There's a moral there !!

Handy information, which should save someone else the expense and pain of trying cheap ones :beerjug:

I bought some Chinese ones but never fit them. All three of them do produce a code when I scan them with my tool

I recently converted my spoke wheels to the same new style Schrader sensors and right angle valve stems for 50% the price BMW sell them for
You need the following:
Sensor https://www.cdfgroup.de/onlineshop/en/home/453-schrader-3141m-bmw-motorcycle-5054208007526.html
Silver right angle valve stem https://www.cdfgroup.de/onlineshop/en/home/455-schrader-5078m-valvekit-motorcycle-5054208007823.html
Black right angle valve stem https://www.cdfgroup.de/onlineshop/en/home/456-schrader-5082m-valvekit-motorcycle-5054208007861.html

ACtC-3e9y452k-mKJLB5UE0s1SCp5CzTZd7jw6yQ_Wu3qnyNtVOqGfZp-0zhX2KiZehOq0MymEcAUoF4afFIn8cTAkq7qlJwdjl4xhFx0d2isk5t98hqNTkUuSF7J05DHUXfJoJXOomMQ6fWxB4-h3u_59zuzA=w1146-h1528-no

ACtC-3cWInJxaXeK4O4N6Ek3PLIoIB1bCSUZC5XM705nUfh1vAbSHv50GIMJkBoK-6m7gOLaoMI33u3XjBfNzQ4slCvcDsu8cICSHY7StS12Y4fZtPEnV8Nrwm0nwnW5bD1lUZhnj1BeXLjwnHrubTGfsZKsRQ=w2038-h1530-no

I replaced my rear(spoked wheel) sensor with a chinese one... 13 pounds... i didnt even bother to code.. just rode the bike and after 5-10 miles...few stops(off ignition...back on) it start working and is flawless since then .And is showing the right pressure as well as my tyre inflator. Fitted in April last year. Very happy .

Hi chaps,
I had the battery go flat in my rear sensor last year, so i followed the video on YouTube to replace the battery which worked at first then gave up again. Ive ridden till now with the yellow warning triangle, but decided to sort it.
I ordered a sensor from china, but went for one which looked like it had number molded into the bottom like the OEM, rather than some of the cheaper ones which looked to be plain. I dont know if there is any difference in the actual unit, but the cost wasnt massive so i bought this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Black-TPMS-Wheels-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-For-BMW-R-1200-GS-GSA-RT-S-R-STOCK/383760461170?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I also bought a wake up tool, which was about £4.
I went out earlier tonight, and before i left home zapped the wheel with the tool---nothing.
Stopped about 5 miles from home, ingition off the rode on---nothing.
Stopped for fuel and before setting off again, zapped the wheel but without the bike running---nothing.
Rode on, and about 15 miles later the yellow warning disappeared and the correct reading came onto the display.

So whether you need a wake up tool, I dont know. I'm thinking the bike might just submit and after so long just decide that the signal its getting must be from its own sensors, so it stores them??:nenau
Anyhow, I'm a happy bunny.

Stu

Inspected where the RDC is mounted (the bit that collects the sensor transmissions), and decided to clean up the plug and socket to the unit, and then ACF50 it.
To my surprise, the unit (upon prompting with the wake up tool), then started reading the tyre pressure.

Hope this info helps someone

I am having an intermittent fault with displaying the rear pressure. Could you please tell me where on the bike (GS LC) the RDC is mounted. It looks like it might be worth a look.

Thanks

Lift off the rear seat and it's the oblong object (about 10cm x 4cm) you're looking at, with a plug at one end. Couldn't be easier to get to.
It'll be the battery in the sensor though...........IMHO

Back
Top Bottom