Versys 650 .... refresh or ???????

Well it didn't start first press of the button, however, when I swapped over the connectors to the stick coils it fired up straight away and settled down to a steady tickover and all of the lights and electrics work

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 201
Looking good, really like the Versys very underrated machine, with this much documented history it should return a nice price when selling.

Looking good, really like the Versys very underrated machine.

Yes, I had one that didn’t disappoint. Economical, real world quick enough and the only thing I felt needing improvement were the brakes and I fitted HEL lines to help them feel a bit sharper. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. :okay

Attachments

• F3F3D00C-8192-45D6-96DE-89B8E0738D63.jpeg
    F3F3D00C-8192-45D6-96DE-89B8E0738D63.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 198
Brakes were the first thing I sorted when i bought the bike, its worst point was the bloody rear shock which was sprung to be fine if you weigh in at 20 stones and the front was too soft.

I fitted a nearly new (700 mile) Ducati Monster (Sachs) shock but the spring rate was too soft so I got Faulkner to do a rear spring rated for 13 1/2 stone which made the front feel worse.

So I stripped the front forks and fitted new bushes and seals and slightly heavier weight oil with an altered air gap which made a huge difference.

it really is a nice bike but just too close to my f800gs

Another busy day, got the radiator shrouds painted, the spot light brackets blasted and painted and the spot lights wired up and working . Sidepanels fitted and have had it run up to temperature to check for any leaks .

Bikes electrics all appear to be fine so all need to do now is fit the fairing panels and seat, go around and check all the nuts and bolts and then make sure all the wires are tied up out of the way and it is ready for the road

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 183
Everything buttoned up this morning and running well

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 175
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 179
I think if I'd done all that work and got it so nice, I would be reluctant to sell it.

Whatever, great job...:thumb2

I think if I'd done all that work and got it so nice, I would be reluctant to sell it.

Whatever, great job...:thumb2

No it has to go this year , it is too close to this one.

Also as the workbench (like nature ) abhors a vacuum it is now on the ramp to get the downpipes taken off and polished

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 284
Well ran the bike up to temperature on Friday afternoon and there was an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket ( a pattern on I fitted last winter when I did a valve clearance check), I assumed it would be fine to be reused and it probably would have if it was genuine.

Not messing about so ordered a genuine gasket, plug tunnel gaskets and four washers for the rocker cover bolts from Fowlers on Friday afternoon and they arrived today.

Another 2 hours in a freezing garage and typically the rubber gasket was so inflexible due to the minus temps it wouldn't sit in the groove in the rocker cover, had to bring them into the house to get them warm before I fitted them.

Result no leaks

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 255
Well ran the bike up to temperature on Friday afternoon and there was an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket ( a pattern on I fitted last winter when I did a valve clearance check), I assumed it would be fine to be reused and it probably would have if it was genuine.

Not messing about so ordered a genuine gasket, plug tunnel gaskets and four washers for the rocker cover bolts from Fowlers on Friday afternoon and they arrived today.

Another 2 hours in a freezing garage and typically the rubber gasket was so inflexible due to the minus temps it wouldn't sit in the groove in the rocker cover, had to bring them into the house to get them warm before I fitted them.

Result no leaks

A bike, ready to travel...

I insured and taxed the Versys this morning and went out for a 30 minute run ,did 30 odd miles and nothing broke or fell off ,it is handling better than ever with the new taper roller steering head bearings and the Oxford heated grips remind you just how crap the original ones are on BMW's.

Worst bit , the roads were minging and spent over an hour cleaning the bike when I got home , never mind

latest pics and ready for sale

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 134

Back