What laptop?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve spent a fair few hours looking at various laptops on several different websites so haven’t been lazy in this...after a windows laptop but I last bought a windows machine 8 years ago and things seem to have moved on a bit since.

I’m after a recommendation for a brand rather than a specific laptop as i just need one for surfing, photo storage and word documents.

Looked at Dell and they seem pretty decent.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5P and it's a really nice bit of kit. Fully reccomend Lenovo.

Get the fastest you can, I once took advice from a workmate on a cheap laptop and the thing was unusable.

HP get my vote have an HP elitebook for work (we probably bought in region of 2k of them) although before that I had a Dell for about 6 years, nowhere near as fast as this new thing though. ‘SSD’ storage seems a bit of a game changer.

Get the fastest you can, I once took advice from a workmate on a cheap laptop and the thing was unusable.

HP get my vote have an HP elitebook for work (we probably bought in region of 2k of them) although before that I had a Dell for about 6 years, nowhere near as fast as this new thing though. ‘SSD’ storage seems a bit of a game changer.

Thanks - good pointers

I just bought a dell ryzen 5, 8gb ram, 256 ssd, 15.6" screen for £429, using a discount (student) there were some discount codes around.
Feels a good machine. Very pleased with it.
That is a decent spec, I would not go lower than similar spec now. Core i3 or ryzen 3 probably borderline. And definitely 8gb ram.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

I just bought a dell ryzen 5, 8gb ram, 256 ssd, 15.6" screen for £429, using a discount (student) there were some discount codes around.
Feels a good machine. Very pleased with it.
That is a decent spec, I would not go lower than similar spec now. Core i3 or ryzen 3 probably borderline. And definitely 8gb ram.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Dell on my shortlist

I have been running a Dell XPS 13 for several years now, high spec nicely made quality piece of kit if it's a compact laptop/notepad that you are looking for. No issues whatsoever. It has a touch screeen that wasn't of interest to me when I bought it but now really like it. They are expensive.

Just bought my wife an Acer Swift 3, 500Gb SSD and Core I5 processor. She only uses it for email and online shopping or the occassional word document. Described in a professional review as most of the spec of a high end machine, including a magnesium/aluminium chassis, for less that half the current price of my Dell. Exceptional value and seems to be well made. I have had Acers in the past and they have been reliable although that is no guarantee that the later models are

I have been running a Dell XPS 13 for several years now, high spec nicely made quality piece of kit if it's a compact laptop/notepad that you are looking for. No issues whatsoever. It has a touch screeen that wasn't of interest to me when I bought it but now really like it. They are expensive.

Just bought my wife an Acer Swift 3, 500Gb SSD and Core I5 processor. She only uses it for email and online shopping or the occassional word document. Described in a professional review as most of the spec of a high end machine, including a magnesium/aluminium chassis, for less that half the current price of my Dell. Exceptional value and seems to be well made. I have had Acers in the past and they have been reliable although that is no guarantee that the later models are

Acer now also on my list - thanks

Another vote for HP. I needed something super powerful for video editing. HP Envy is what I ended up with, from John Lewis with their extra guarantee. 2TB of harddrive, i9 chip, 32GB of RAMs and their top of the range screen. The bottle neck for ability is still in the seat though. I am getting there slowly.

Heard good things about Lenovo - thanks

I recently purchased a Lenovo i7 business laptop with 16gb ram and 512gb SSD. Could not be happier.

Boots up in 7 seconds, really quiet, bright screen, so far nothing to dislike.

Cost was just over £700, with rebate.

I recently purchased a Lenovo i7 business laptop with 16gb ram and 512gb SSD. Could not be happier.

Boots up in 7 seconds, really quiet, bright screen, so far nothing to dislike.

Cost was just over £700, with rebate.

That seems like a good price.

I have never bought anything other than IBM/Lenovo (apart from a disasterous foray to Macbook), but at the other end of the price range,

Whatever laptop you buy around £400-£500, there will be savings made to reach that pricepoint. Battery life/quality, RAM, SSD, graphics etc

I think it is worthwhile paying that little bit extra to get something like the £700 Lenovo above. Lenovo keyboards are generally better than the competition too.

I always bought Dell laptops for home and had no issues until Windows 10 arrived to blight my life so I bit the bullet and bought a MacBook for home as well as work. I’ve just purchased a MacBook Air with the new M1 chip and unless you’re as anti Apple as I am Windows 10 they’re worth a look.

As an update...bought an HP from Currys but struggled to see the keys in poor light as they were the same colour as the casing. Returned it to Currys for a refund.

Ended up buying a new Macbook Air. They just work.

As an update...bought an HP from Currys but struggled to see the keys in poor light as they were the same colour as the casing.

Fair enough, the Lenovo I bought had illuminated keys, makes life so much easier.

Ended up buying a new Macbook Air. They just work.

.....but not with some printers.

Posted elsewhere but....My Mrs recently bought a new MB Air and our (less than a year old) Brother printer didn't want to know 'Big Sur' - works fine with my MB Pro running 'Catalina'. Seems like this is a problem with peinters from other manufacturers too.

Just a heads up, if you're expecting to print from your new MB, see if it works with your printer BEFORE you need it. :)

Back
Top Bottom