Norwegian Ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Capitano

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m well into the planning of a Baltic Loop tour this September and I’m struggling to understand exactly how we pay for the short ferry crossings these days?

I understand that things are becoming more and more automated but the Autopass for ferries system doesn’t seem to be geared for tourists so can anyone tell me if it’s still possible just to pay for each ferry using cards or cash? Or indeed if the Autopass for roads system will automatically bill us?

Many thanks, Colin

The short ferry trips across fjords etc. can be paid for by cash or card when you arrive.

When you rock up at the port there’s a large car park with a young lad / girl in a red jacket and a ticket machine handing around their neck . Their English and efficiency is very good . They take cash or card

I was there last year. I used a Revolut card. Money deducted in local currency so minimum loss on exchange. Easy Peasy.
I'm sure somebody will be along soon with an even thriftier solution. :)

Great, thanks for your replies, cash or card it is then!

I use a Halifax Clarity card which doesn’t charge any fees just converts it at what is usually a very good exchange rate although I will look into who charges what before we go in case anything changed now we are no longer in the club.

Fingers crossed we’ll be able to go - I’m quite optimistic!

Update:
With a few exceptions (1%), the ferries do no longer accept direct payment for the fares.

As a local, you may purchase an electronic token where they charge you from a prepaid account. For MC and tourists in general, this does not work.
What they do now is that they take a photo of your license plate, and then you will get a bill in the mail.
This is also the case for non-domestic bikes. Most European countries now practice a cooperation when it comes to distribute payments, such as tickets and speeding traps etc. For domestic riders there is no additional charge beyond the fare, so I would not surprised if the handlers just ignore foreign bikes (too much bother).
Anyway, don't worry about it. If they want your money (in extremely rare cases) they will let you know. If a bill is mailed, you may expect 3 - 6 months delay.

Also, when arriving to the ferry terminal, waiting for the ferry. Don't bother to line up in the car line, or at least, move up front in the next, not yet used line, or drive up to the gate and park on the side of the gate where you do not block for arriving/departing vehicles .
This is generally accepted by the public, and the ferry staff do appreciate it since they like to know how many bikes will be boarding. They strive to put bikes into space that can not be used by cars.

Update:
With a few exceptions (1%), the ferries do no longer accept direct payment for the fares.

As a local, you may purchase an electronic token where they charge you from a prepaid account. For MC and tourists in general, this does not work.
What they do now is that they take a photo of your license plate, and then you will get a bill in the mail.
This is also the case for non-domestic bikes. Most European countries now practice a cooperation when it comes to distribute payments, such as tickets and speeding traps etc. For domestic riders there is no additional charge beyond the fare, so I would not surprised if the handlers just ignore foreign bikes (too much bother).
Anyway, don't worry about it. If they want your money (in extremely rare cases) they will let you know. If a bill is mailed, you may expect 3 - 6 months delay.

Also, when arriving to the ferry terminal, waiting for the ferry. Don't bother to line up in the car line, or at least, move up front in the next, not yet used line, or drive up to the gate and park on the side of the gate where you do not block for arriving/departing vehicles .
This is generally accepted by the public, and the ferry staff do appreciate it since they like to know how many bikes will be boarding. They strive to put bikes into space that can not be used by cars.

To be clear Knut? If you turn up and offer a credit card (which is what I did in 2014) they will NOT take your money?

To be clear Knut? If you turn up and offer a credit card (which is what I did in 2014) they will NOT take your money?

That is correct.

The exception may be on ferries that are operated during the summer season only (meant to serve tourists), as these ferries may have decided to participate in the program, even though most of the summer-ferries only do participate since they are operated mainly by larger carriers.

The idea behind this new system is to decrease turn-around time. But since the tickets are now connected to the vehicle, this means that passengers are not paying either (again, with a few exceptions)

For us as riders it's quite simple: If they want you to pay, they will tell you. If you hear nothing, no worries, the charge will show up in the mail box (at least for domestic riders). If nothing shows up, don't worry. :aidan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom