Carcassonne, Pyrenees, down to Madrid and across to Santiago de Compostelo

Wapping

Reaction score
Lifted from Tourenfahrer 2/21 and downloadable as a GPX route from their website, a possibly nice jaunt across and into Spain. There is even some gravelly bits for the rufty-tufty crew, some nice smooth straight bits for the bimblers and the obligatory curves for “Scraping me panniers, I were, mate” brigade

91cb2b888cd1e7bf3f586d91a6002de2.png

3e256a0346d8861e6257d1ed4e7be3f0.png

d297e0f27b3852e8b918aa7057a0744d.png

e1e2c5b8de9e6b470b9e8533b6285063.png

de317d329d0430de4a5eec12c1d92340.png

bc780920009c406d8454178382b81950.png

f772d285c1eea0127b98fff4d74d4580.png

Clearly he’s a real bikermate, up on his pegs and making an heroic entry into town......

84b5daf148ce5a58c5226880a06c27de.png

Looks a brilliant route.
I’ve done most of that apart from the bit in between Salamanca and Madrid, though not necessarily on the same roads/tracks.
It seems to take in the N260 across the breadth of the Pyrenees and then the bit from Salamanca to Santiago is cracking !!

Wapping - will you ‘bugger off’ with these stunning jaunts before I burst into tears :D

Thank you though - noted.

Wapping - will you ‘bugger off’ with these stunning jaunts before I burst into tears :D

Thank you though - noted.

I might post my planned Spanish Extravaganza summer trip later, with reviews of the Paradores we've booked.

Oh that’s nice, as much as I love Madrid as a town I’d probably detour around it. Although good for a bit of culture. Couldn’t find how to change language. Thanks Richard.

It might be an idea to wait until Madrid thaws out a bit though, it was a record -35'C recently....lol
Very good route all the same.

Oh that’s nice, as much as I love Madrid as a town I’d probably detour around it. Although good for a bit of culture. Couldn’t find how to change language. Thanks Richard.

Hi Brian,

I don’t speak German, so I just look at the pictures. That being said, I am now able to pick out some of the words. If I want to translate anything in particular, I highlight the words on my iPad, then copy and paste them into Google translate.

I do like the German motorcycle touring magazines, as (unlike the British magazines) at least they make an effort to give some good ideas, backed by very good downloads and maps of the routes. I don’t buy into the “Anyone can do it themselves with a map” somewhat trite responses we sometimes see. Yes, anyone can. Indeed, I am all in favour of those that make no effort at all to create their own holiday, at least trying to do just that. However, that is to miss the point of the magazines’ articles, which are to present ideas, no different to guide books doing the same. Guide books have, after all, been around for hundreds of years.

I post the articles into UKGSer in the hope that:

A. It might encourage people to look a bit beyond: “Do the Pyrenees and the Alps, mate” as if the world ends there. Yes, they are great destinations, nobody denies that, but think about doing a bit more.

B. It might encourage people who get to the “Must do” town of Carcassonne and want to then “Do the Pyrenees” an idea on how it might be done.

C. It might, as in this example, encourage people to think as to how they might join ‘Santiago de Compost’ to their return ferry from Spain back to home. Though there are plenty of posts and threads on how that might be done.

Those three hopes do though require some effort and imagination on behalf of some others. They have bought the ‘Adventure’ motorbike (or bought into the sales blurb) but want to be spoon fed everything else. Laziness, almost beyond belief. I was lucky enough to go to a boys boarding school in the late 60’s thro’ mid-70’s that forced you to find ‘stuff’ out for yourself, way before the internet or PC’s had even been invented. Not least, it taught, some of us at least, imagination and allowed us to daydream through Latin lessons.

My advice to anyone is always: Give it a go, mate. What is the worse thing that can happen in civilised Western Europe..... that you might end up in Madrid *

* If you are with Nutty, heading for Luxembourg, that is a distinct possibility. But think of the ‘Adventure’ you’ll have.

It might be an idea to wait until Madrid thaws out a bit though, it was a record -35'C recently....lol
Very good route all the same.

-2 C today and it’ll be scorchio, come August. Prompting all sorts of dire warnings on these pages, not to go there or you’ll die.

It is indeed a good route. Not least as nobody has yet moaned that it misses out the CM123, therefore rendering the whole thing useless.

.....What is the worse thing that can happen in civilised Western Europe..... that you might end up in Madrid *

* If you are with Nutty, heading for Luxembourg, that is a distinct possibility. But think of the ‘Adventure’ you’ll have.

Madrid, Thanet, Bristol, Northampton, the Geneva road network... These are some of my "must avoid" places.

Excellent. Do include pictures. Bods like pictures.

I have a week's leave with nothing else to do, so I may just do that.

Here's a brief summary:

Ferry Portsmouth-Bilbao
One night Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Two nights Parador de Cuenca
One night Parador de Alarcon
Two nights parador de Cazorla
Two nights Parador de Jaen
Two nights Parador de Ronda
One night Parador de Caceres
One night Parador de Plasencia
Two nights Parador de Zamora
One night Parador de Leon
One night Parado de Corias
One night Parador de Limpias
Ferry Bilbao-Portsmouth

This is by far the most extravagant (and expensive) bike trip I've ever planned. A combination of (a) using the money we saved from 2020's cancelled holidays and (b) partial retirement celebration jaunt and (c) I'm not sure how many more long 2-up trips on a big bike I'll have left in me before the temptation of car trips becomes tempting!

The Amigos de Paradores loyalty card provides some savings and we'll rack up enough points on this trip to pay for future jaunts. Have used Paradores for years and the worst experience we've ever had was "merely very good." Several I would rate as "out-bloody-standing." I expect to come back suntanned and at least a stone heavier.

Madrid, Thanet, Bristol, Northampton, the Geneva road network... These are some of my "must avoid" places.

Northampton and Thanet, I can endorse....... though the Saints are OK. It is such a shame, as Northampton used to be a nice town.

Bristol, I can’t say I have ever visited.

Geneva, has the world’s best motor show

Madrid, is a great city

Northampton and Thanet, I can endorse....... though the Saints are OK. It is such a shame, as Northampton used to be a nice town.

Bristol, I can’t say I have ever visited.

Geneva, has the world’s best motor show

Madrid, is a great city

Bristol is a fantastic city with horrendous traffic. Loads to see and do there, often free of charge. Top flight egg-chasing, lower league football and first class/international cricket for the sports fans. Also got a great foody scene from street food to Michelin star.

Clifton suspension bridge and the camera obscura, a walk down to the floating harbour (that's what it's called) and Brunel's Great Britain. Lunch at the Pump House or in St Nicholas' market and dinner at Casa Mia, covid permitting.

Balloon fiesta (even worse traffic. Nightmare!!). Get there early for an early morning mass ascent. Food festival. Great live music scene.

But, expensive housing and did I mention the traffic problems. Minor accidents cause huge jams and gridlock.

I loved living and working in Bristol and I'd highly recommend a visit, but I don't miss it now I've retired and moved to the Dorset coast.

Bristol is a fantastic city with horrendous traffic. Loads to see and do there, often free of charge. Top flight egg-chasing, lower league football and first class/international cricket for the sports fans. Also got a great foody scene from street food to Michelin star.

Clifton suspension bridge and the camera obscura, a walk down to the floating harbour (that's what it's called) and Brunel's Great Britain. Lunch at the Pump House or in St Nicholas' market and dinner at Casa Mia, covid permitting.

Balloon fiesta (even worse traffic. Nightmare!!). Get there early for an early morning mass ascent. Food festival. Great live music scene.

But, expensive housing and did I mention the traffic problems. Minor accidents cause huge jams and gridlock.

I loved living and working in Bristol and I'd highly recommend a visit, but I don't miss it now I've retired and moved to the Dorset coast.

A fine effort on behalf of the Bristol Tourist Board.

As my Mum hails from Bristol and I still have family down there I see regularly (when Covid allows, naturally) I may have to reserve judgement. Too many Bristolians are trying too hard to persuade everyone what a lovely place it is. Like any city, it has lovely bits and horrible bits.

My Aunty lived in Long Ashton for a while and had a cracking view from her back garden of the balloon festival. It is indeed a very impressive sight.

I am sold on Bristol.

If anyone can persuade me that Thanet is anything but a shite hole, step right up.

Back
Top Bottom