ICELAND JULY 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this how my participation in trip 1 ended courtesy of a failed clutch. No parts in Iceland and checking with UK dealers no prospect of getting anything shipped in time.

Other than that it was a wonderful trip :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2688.jpeg
    IMG_2688.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 280
Oh shit, that’s not good! What a shame. Do you know what went wrong with it?

Oh shit, that’s not good! What a shame. Do you know what went wrong with it?

I presume something was near a wear limit and having to stop and start on a steep, loose rocky climb pushed it too far, there'd been no sign of clutch slip before. Hydraulics were fine, but without access to any parts there was no point taking the clutch cover off to look. The KTM dealer in Reykjavik reckoned 2-3 weeks to get parts, I called a couple of other possible sources but no joy. Tried a few UK dealers in the hope of getting parts shipped out but again insufficient stock to do anything in a timescale that would save the trip.

I tried to make it back to Reykjavik on the road but a couple of steep (tarmac) hills finally killed the clutch completely. Getting recovered was complicated (and expensive - but that's Iceland), I ended up with a 'man in a van' setup to get the bike back to the docks where it'll sit until the rest of the bikes get shipped back.

Real bad luck Andy, clutch is another real weak point of the 690 when slipped excessively, shame they haven't sorted it.
I'll be in touch soon.
Meanwhile....

Attachments

• 20210712_230914-01-01.jpg
    20210712_230914-01-01.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 251
Real bad luck Andy, clutch is another real weak point of the 690 when slipped excessively, shame they haven't sorted it.
I'll be in touch soon.
Meanwhile....

Nice pics Tim, and shame about that clutch. I hadn’t heard that was an issue with the bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very bad luck Andy, sorry to hear it.

Your misfortune has prompted me to try source a couple of spare cables/levers for trip-2. (mind you, with 3 other 500's I'm sure I need not bother.. erm.)

500s you say.
Drowned two on the 2nd day :D

Attachments

• 20210709_130657.jpg
    20210709_130657.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 248
Oh shit! :eek: Pretty eventful so far then.

Well, this how my participation in trip 1 ended courtesy of a failed clutch. No parts in Iceland and checking with UK dealers no prospect of getting anything shipped in time.

Other than that it was a wonderful trip :rolleyes:

Well that’s a pisser!

Sorry to hear about this Andy, just hope you can find a way to enjoy a bit of a holiday whilst you are over there.

I'll be in touch soon.
Meanwhile....

I’m guessing that Vince on the other 690 is having no such problems then ;)

I didn't drown my bike in Iceland though :D

These guys on 500s can ride the wheels off them and the bikes flooded due to the depth of water and the air box design, nothing else.
You haven't been within 200 miles of where we are so of course you didn't drown your bike :)

These guys on 500s can ride the wheels off them and the bikes flooded due to the depth of water and the air box design, nothing else.
You haven't been within 200 miles of where we are so of course you didn't drown your bike :)

ffs Tim, I thought you'd have been able to see through my post :blast

Well I was saved the embarrassment of dropping my bike in the rivers thanks to my good Geordie friends helping me across. :thumb2

The prized moment for me was my friend John Tilley - after dropping his 990 in the deep volcanic sand numerous times - ranting about ...

"What's all this for .... just to see another fucking volcano"

Priceless :D:D:D

I don't know if you'll remember it Tim.

I remember every moment Bill.
From the moment we all first met I haven't laughed so much in a bike trip....then when they phoned Cabby with a Pakistani accent pretending to be from the bank and he was being charged the full amount at every fuel station :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom