750GS DEAD

Tam22

Reaction score
Just went out to garage to run engine for half an hour and no sign of life at all!

I think it has the alarm has been triggered due to drop in voltage and battery now dead, don't have a battery charge for a bike, any recommendations?

Should I take it off to charge.

Many thanks

Tam

Disconnect the earth and then put a battery charger across it. Someone living nearby might have a charger they could lend you. Or have a look at your local Lidl and Aldi. They often sell chargers in their weekly promotions. I've used them for years. :thumb2

I am no closer either, in EH, otherwise would happily lend you my Optimate or BWM charger.

If you have jump-leads, you could try charging the battery off a car battery. Not while either is running, just "passive". Connect for a while and see if you have enough voltage to start the bike. Actually, i'd probably take it off the bike altogether to charge. Too many electronics to worry about. I am not sure that you'd be able to push-start it, it needs some lecky for the ECU to power up, send pulse to the ring antenna and read the key/disable EWS. And the fuel pump too.

Good luck.

Thanks Pete, would they be for motorbikes? I've got an old car charger, but thought you couldn't use on bikes?

Thanks Pete, would they be for motorbikes? I've got an old car charger, but thought you couldn't use on bikes?

Anything that charges a 12v battery will do. If the battery is totally flat then a modern charger will probably not do the job so your old car charger may well be preferable. Just disconnect the earth and then clip the leads across the pos and neg poles and keep an eye on it. Once the battery is charged, you can reconnect the earth and clip on a modern "intelligent" charger. If you can disconnect, the alarm. I'd do that too. Alarms are a pita.

Will do, it has trickle charge, so maybe some time on full, then trickle, its a good 20 year old, but has worked on the car fine during lockdown.

I just hope the alarm doesn't start sounding when it gets going.:thumb2

Will do, it has trickle charge, so maybe some time on full, then trickle, its a good 20 year old, but has worked on the car fine during lockdown.

I just hope the alarm doesn't start sounding when it gets going.:thumb2

Trickle charging overnight would be kinder.

I would connect another 12v battery for a while then connect the charger to the "spare" battery so to charge um both while they are connected together. Better give mine a start and charge now.
HTHY

Charged it for a couple of hours and used multi-meter to watch progress up to 12v, reconnected positive and started fine:thumb

Thanks all.

I think I need to buy an optimate, as I can't figure out how to deactivate the alarm with TFT screen. I had a v-strom 650 from new for 3 years and had no issues with battery in winter, but it didn't have an alarm.

Cheers, Tam

I had an F850 with both alarm and tracker - battery went from fully-charged to totally flat in 8 days, and it was in late spring and kept in a garage. Don’t ask me how I know :blast
Removing the battery and connected to Optimate overnight and all good. Get thee a bike battery charger :thumb

Possibly too late but don’t leave it on charge for too long, eg overnight, a car battery charger can typically deliver 3 x the Amps of a motorcycle charger and can kill the battery.

Starting the bike for 1/2 an hour regularly over winter isn’t great for the bike either, just invest in a charger with a fly lead ...they aren’t expensive :thumb2

A couple of hrs did it on the car charger. Optimate 4 arrived yesterday and seems to have done the business.

The alarm wasn't even activated, so surprised by the drain over a couple of months, suppose it still draws some charge.

Back
Top Bottom