Lockdown Therapy - New Clutch for the K1100LT

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having developed the slightest of clutch slip under heavy acceleration and being bored out of my mind not being able to ride I decided to fill a few days in fitting a new heavy duty clutch to the K1100LT

I had the usual tell tale misting of oil around the joint face between the gearbox and engine bell housing but not enough to weep out of the hole in the bottom of the gearbox

I will change both the rear main seal and the output shaft O ring plus check the gearbox seals as well

Got quite a bit done today and should get the gearbox and old clutch out tomorrow

Good stuff, I’ll be interested to see how you get on. Mine has 95k miles on it, clutch seems fine at the moment, unfortunately I don’t have any history prior to about 80k so I’ve no idea whether it has been changed before or if the splines have been greased at any point in it’s life so I think I’ll have to pull it apart for a looksee - lots of dismantling and concerns about keeping track of all the electrics!

A bit more progress today , built a wooden frame to support the bike so i could remove the centre stand

Removed the gearbox to get access to clutch

Old clutch friction plate was worn down to 4.9mm (service limit is 4.5mm and new one measure 6mm) but was glazed and clearly had oil impregnation

Removed old main seal and fitted new one , went for a double lipped viton one rather than the OEM one

Pushrod seal was also leaking so removed that ready to fit new one

Removed Clutch Arm and fitted new needle roller bearings to the pivot

Decided to fit new input and output seals so need to remove the old ones , new ones on order hopefully get them Wednesday

Very impressive spanner and engineering skills:okay
Will follow as I have a 1998 k1200rs myself

Two steps forward and one step back today

Fitted the new pushrod seal no issues however the output shaft seal went it much easier than i had anticipated and ended up seated lower than the original position - see picture below

After consulting with DrFarkoff I removed the newly installed seal

Jay's advice was spot on , there is a slight gap between the bearing face and casing as well as an oil groove to allow oil to circulate and the seal had gone in deep enough to block it

I'm now on hold waiting on the new seal as well as the clutch retaining nut and the input shaft seal , hopefully they will come tomorrow

In the meantime I will give everything I have removed a good clean and check over

Still no sign of Royal Mail delivering my gearbox seals but thankfully I got my powder coating back including the K1100RS wheels that I am going to fit to the LT

I already have the bearings for the front wheel and new front brake disc bobbins so that will keep me entertained in the morning

Gearbox seals arrived today and were fitted without any issues

New heavy duty oil proof clutch friction plate fitted and gearbox back in the bike with clutch free play correctly adjusted

Also fitted the discs to the front wheel after installing new wheel bearings

Good progress today : swinging arm , driveshaft , final drive , centre stand and rear shock all back on . Alternator , starter motor , battery and ABS pump all fitted and brakes bled

Rear fairing , pannier frames and exhaust back on but I need a new exhaust rubber mount as it has came apart

Fresh engine oil & filter , final drive and gearbox oil

Seat and side panels on tomorrow and then if Royal Mail deliver the exhaust mount I should get it finished Tuesday

It's then into the storage garage until we get out of lockdown as I need to clear the lift ready for the new to me R80GS

Once out of lockdown I will get the new tyres fitted to the RS wheels and get then onto the LT

Nice work John - especially the frame support !
Gearbox out on a K is not a quick job.
At least easier than the K1200 though.........
The K1100 was a great & durable bike with no issues, I've had three.

Still no sign of Royal Mail delivering my gearbox seals but thankfully I got my powder coating back including the K1100RS wheels that I am going to fit to the LT

I had RS wheels on my LT back in the day. As i mentioned back in 2006, post 5 and here post 41 ...... transforms the bike, handles much better, lower to the ground, doesn't lean over at a ridiculous angle when on the side stand. I've no idea why BMW fitted the LT with the awful sized original wheels.

Hi Neil

I’ve just had a set of RS wheels powder coated and new disks and bearings fitted to the front , I’ll get them fitted to the bike soon so looking forward to seeing the difference

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
91cc3794b3071c3b0e065785f55b1717.jpg

Hi Neil

I’ve just had a set of RS wheels powder coated and new disks and bearings fitted to the front , I’ll get them fitted to the bike soon so looking forward to seeing the difference

John

I also fitted an RS two piece mudguard instead of that awful LT version. If i remember correctly i had to fit a different brake line connection between the two front calipers.

I did help my mate replace a leaking rear main oil seal on his K1200LT. what a bloody job.
wish I never offered now.

Back
Top Bottom