2021 V85tt

Two application process.....plasti-dip and 3M 5400 tape

What’s your thinking behind using plastidip, I’ve used plastidip to paint bits, but not sure about using it on wheel rims where the tyre bead sits. Be interested to find out if this works well and how it stands up to Tyre changes and tyre levers.

The plasti-dip is in spray can form and was used to cover the spoke ends. Sprayed several times into the holes over 24 hours so it gets quite thick. It’s sets like a rubber ballon. Then use 3M 5400 around the whole inner rim. Tape Not shown on the pics which were actually the first phase pics. Many YouTube articles refer to 3m tape as sufficient but others advocate sealing the spoke ends first by a sealant. Hence the plasti-dip (others have used boat sealant)

It seems to have worked and time will tell. If not it will be back to tubes and tyre tube sealant and spare tubes etc......but hopefully it has worked

Oh I didn’t paint where the tyre bead sits or put tape there All my works stopped before the inner lip for the tyre bead

The guzzi rims are also designed to take tubeless tyres and have the rim profile for it. Think I would think twice if the rims were not designed that way. The BMW GS800 I think doesn’t have tubeless rims so I would be wary .......but the guzzi is worth a try

Or buy a new one......but expensive to get tubeless when I love my existing bike

Rider Magazine back in 2009 discusses the 4V designation and states,

"The factory’s dithering in deciding if this is four valves per cylinder or an eight-valve motor typifies a lack of organization which still needs to be addressed at Guzzi."

I’ve got a mental picture of a load the MG guys sat in office at lunchtime with a couple of bottles of vino and some antipasti , red wine sloshing out of their glasses as they piss themselves laughing at that article and wondering what they can come up with next to confuse the stupid eeenglish :D

The plasti-dip is in spray can form and was used to cover the spoke ends. Sprayed several times into the holes over 24 hours so it gets quite thick. It’s sets like a rubber ballon. Then use 3M 5400 around the whole inner rim. Tape Not shown on the pics which were actually the first phase pics. Many YouTube articles refer to 3m tape as sufficient but others advocate sealing the spoke ends first by a sealant. Hence the plasti-dip (others have used boat sealant)

It seems to have worked and time will tell. If not it will be back to tubes and tyre tube sealant and spare tubes etc......but hopefully it has worked

I’ve done the tubeless conversion twice now, first time with the outer kit and second time with the 3M tape, both times had no leaks. ref the plasti-dip, I thought you’d sprayed the rim upto the masking tape shown in your photo, now you’ve explained, I perfectly understand what you’ve done and it’s probably a good secondary defence. I also have an internal TPMS fitted which gives me tire temp and pressure whilst riding, it works well, but a 2.15 rim makes for not a lot of room when trying to fit a tyre (i fitted them myself and wouldn’t trust a fitter doing it as they are unlikely to be so careful about damaging the TPMS sensor inside the rim). Nice bike by the way.

Thanks for info. I did originally plan to spray to the masking tape but worried the 3M tape might not stick to it. Also as you say if it went to the bead then fitting tyre might start the damage and possible failure of it being air tight. So used insulation tape to mask a smaller surface strip to the bowl of the rim but wider than the spoke hole area. Sprayed it several times (overall nearly used 2 spray tins £20) and then used 3m tape which was wider than sprayed are. And also made sure the 3M tape didn’t get to the tyre bead. Seems to have worked

Now want Tom’s so any advice greatly appreciated

and if you look closely at the wheel pic i had actually put the insulation tape on as a masking tape and then sprayed the inner bowl of the rim. And then used stanly knife to cut the line edge where the insulation tape was so the plastidip didnt pull off.

I have been looking at tpms but dont want to pay too much....the Michelin one seems ok its just the size of the valve caps !

1 per dealer?

Only Piaggio sole franchise dealers are guaranteed 1 of each bike. Multi franchise will get what the sole dealers don't want, or so I've been informed. Andy has secured 1 V85 and 1 V7. 30 of each bike coming into the country in March.

I haven't read anywhere that they are of limited production, but that they will be only produced during 2021. There may be more come into the country later or you may be able to order one, who knows.
I

Great job. Looks excellent in that colour scheme and sure to be very desirable in future. It’s a small popping but I think the new tubeless rims look better. I’d love another Guzzi.

It would appear that my initial thoughts may be correct. The V85 Centenario is not a limited edition, but a 'special edition' which will only be produced during 2021.
They are initially sending 34 into the uk, but can be ordered after that.

It would appear that my initial thoughts may be correct. The V85 Centenario is not a limited edition, but a 'special edition' which will only be produced during 2021...

Makes sense - it they were a genuine limited production run I'd have expected a numbered plaque or similar. Congrats on your new V85tt, 'tis a good looking thing.

My V85 Centenario is here, well it's at the dealers. Due for delivery next week:aidan. Apparently it looks stunning in the flesh and the pictures don't do it justice.
It's in the window at Teasdales, I'm going to have to show great restraint not to go and have a look.

Teasdales have managed to get two. Mark says he's had about 20 serious enquires, but has been told there are absolutely no more. Time will tell.

My V85 Centenario is here, well it's at the dealers. Due for delivery next week:aidan. Apparently it looks stunning in the flesh and the pictures don't do it justice.
It's in the window at Teasdales, I'm going to have to show great restraint not to go and have a look.

Teasdales have managed to get two. Mark says he's had about 20 serious enquires, but has been told there are absolutely no more. Time will tell.

Teasdales put a pic of yours all over FaceBook at lunchtime, looks nice

Back
Top Bottom