Latest project..........Z1000A1

Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following on from the Commando last year which I was very pleased with,I’m now starting on another bike that has been hanging around in the back of the garage now for a few years.
Now this one is in a bit of a mess, so I’m not sure how this is going to go:blast
It is a 1977 Z1000A1, it’s an original U.K. bike registered in March 77. These U.K. bikes are fairly rare now which is why I chose to give it go at getting it looking good and back on the road.
Sadly, as I said it’s in a bit of a mess and already in bits.Now, it only owes me just over £1k so it’s got to be worthwhile trying to sort it out. Whoever has done work on this previously should never touch a fecking bike again:mad: He obviously had a love of blue hylomar! And didn’t really mind what bolts he used.........:rolleyes:

Anyway, here are some pics as it is now.Can someone tell me how to post a number of pics with text under each pic:blast I can’t seem to work it out........:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 9B4258A5-7DC7-4D89-B4FB-6B83398E6CBF.jpg
    9B4258A5-7DC7-4D89-B4FB-6B83398E6CBF.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 609
  • AA4A0582-BE16-4F28-BF7B-271BF1877A5F.jpg
    AA4A0582-BE16-4F28-BF7B-271BF1877A5F.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 621
  • F36977F4-8344-4894-9035-E1D585B56A92.jpg
    F36977F4-8344-4894-9035-E1D585B56A92.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 3D30F029-D652-4519-BEF3-212BBDC66447.jpg
    3D30F029-D652-4519-BEF3-212BBDC66447.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 614
Here are the cam caps.........:blast note the 4 different bolts used:rolleyes: 1 of which I think is from some self assembly furniture! And one was sheered in two................I would bet he put it back together like this..........

Attachments

• 4467688D-51C4-47A2-89A0-D40B2045AC88.jpg
    4467688D-51C4-47A2-89A0-D40B2045AC88.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 619
Here are the cam caps.........:blast note the 4 different bolts used:rolleyes: 1 of which I think is from some self assembly furniture! And one was sheered in two................I would bet he put it back together like this..........

The previous "mechanic" was clearly with :stupid

I'm absolutely certain you'll appreciate these cam bearing caps are individually line bored and consequently match each individual head.

Here's a link which may be of interest; I anticipate the head will have already been sold, however send him a message; otherwise you'll never know what may materialise in due course. :nenau
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0hGJznslE

Best wishes for the project. :thumb2

Jeezus!

At least my recent KZ1300 strip/rebuild was on a previously untouched engine. :D

Good luck mate. :thumb

You'll probably know anyway, but Zed Power and Zed Parts will have anything you need....and are happy to provide advice, too. :beerjug:

Lovely, I'll watch with interest :thumb - though this is what I call a bit of a mess:

Attachments

• 20181023_170533 - Copy.jpg
    20181023_170533 - Copy.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 570
Johno
I might still have some bits in the garage from when I used to race them.
I'll have a look at the weekend, yours for a pint at Dent

The previous "mechanic" was clearly with :stupid

I'm absolutely certain you'll appreciate these cam bearing caps are individually line bored and consequently match each individual head.

Yes, I had heard that, not really sure what to do about that yet......:nenau

Thanks for the link :thumb

Johno
I might still have some bits in the garage from when I used to race them.
I'll have a look at the weekend, yours for a pint at Dent

Neil,thanks, that would be great:thumb I’m planning on being in Dent so you’re on:beerjug:

Cylinder head......... two buggered threads....... a broken fin and this.........:mad:

Attachments

• 82E1C77F-1FD9-44F0-96B9-D4C139B3E813.jpg
    82E1C77F-1FD9-44F0-96B9-D4C139B3E813.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 558
I'm in,like these bikes a lot...maybe you could get Allen Millyard on speed dial ;)

Good luck with the build Johno

Kimbo

I'm in :thumb2

I think he previous owner was a butcher :blast

Good luck Johno :thumb

:beerjug:

......................Can someone tell me how to post a number of pics with text under each pic:blast I can’t seem to work it out........:rolleyes:

AFAIK the only way to do it is to use an image hosting site and use the HTML embedding codes, I don't think you can do it by attaching images directly :nenau

Oh, and another one that's 'in', nice project :thumb2

Andres

This looks interesting... I'm in... What's the end goal here? To put it back to as standard as possible? Just enough to get it running or maybe some light customising like a newer front end? If it hadn't been butchered I would steer towards as original as possible... Has the frame been hacked at all? Hard to tell from the photo, but appears original, which is a good starting point.

Also regarding vapour blasting... I really like the results, especially on older ally engines. I would invest in a cabinet and compressor set up if a; i had the space, b; had the £... Talk to Mikeyboy - he's invested in a set up and has experience, as well as knowledge.

Good luck anyways and thanks for posting.

This looks like a tougher than usual resto I’m in. You have a proper piece of work on your hands and I wish you the best of luck. ��

That looks like it’s going to be a nightmare!

For some reason I enjoy seeing other people fight their way through rebuilds :D

Yes, I had heard that, not really sure what to do about that yet......:nenau

Thanks for the link :thumb

Re-machining them is an easy job. I’ve line bored both cam bores and main bearing bores on engines ranging from cars through to marine engines and as long as they’re not a real mess it’s remarkably uncomplicated.

Skim the seating faces on both the head and the covers, bolt them together and skim them out. If it’s only a tiny amount then you can ream them but you’d need to make bushes to ensure they remain in line if doing them by hand. You can compensate for the amount skimmed off when setting the valve clearances and you won’t need to make any changes to the cam chain, just adjust it.

Depending on the width of the head I can probably do it for you on my milling machine at home if you want to drive up for a weekend once all this Covid shit has eased off a bit but for what it is a local machine shop will probably do the milling for less than the cost of fuel getting to my place and home again.

Back
Top Bottom