LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08J6TRTP2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A16YFHDVIZV0EA&psc=1

It's a completely different Shape to the other one.
Worth Noting that Motea are also listing the other Unit as the correct Fitment but it can't be.
Is the TC Unit different to the SC?
This one is designed to look more like the OEM unit - LEDs are otherwise identical. I think this version also makes use of the headlamps adjuster mechanism - unlike the other more 'radical' looking design.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that the AliExpress Unit behaves in the same way as the Amazon one?
It seems to Illuminate each Light individually whereas the Amazon one links them all together.
Maybe it's just the way they've Demonstrated the one on AliExpress?
They're the same. It's just how they're presenting it.

This one will actually cost you £145.95 incl. Delivery AND Vat (since December 2020):

From 11PM 31 December 2020, AliExpress is required by law to collect UK Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the applicable rate and remit to the UK tax authority when goods are sold to UK customers (i) where the goods are located outside the UK at the point of sale with a consignment value of GBP135 or less, or (ii) where the goods are in the UK at the point of sale, but sold by an overseas seller. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and...using-online-marketplaces-from-1-january-2021
Haha. I've got to laugh. Don't get me started

There's no wiring moulded into the caps on mine. With the hid fitted I have four wires coming through a rubber grommet fitted into the hole drilled in the rear of the cap.
Could always get a same sized grommet to fill the hole. Should be available.

1150 there is

Proper bikes

Thanks Slipperyeel for all your Responses, very helpful :bow.
I've Ordered the one from Amazon now.
It worked out quite a bit more expensive (£87 :eek:), but I know I can Return it for a Full Refund with no dramas if something isn't right.
Looking forward to getting it fitted :thumby:.

Thanks Slipperyeel for all your Responses, very helpful :bow.
I've Ordered the one from Amazon now.
It worked out quite a bit more expensive (£87 :eek:), but I know I can Return it for a Full Refund with no dramas if something isn't right.
Looking forward to getting it fitted :thumby:.

I reckon you'll never look back and forever be wondering how the OEM set up was ever approved! Very definitely an upgrade!

Note that when you fit it, the beam is a horizontal line, it doesn't have a left/right bias. After a fair bit of research it seems this is becoming the new norm. I have set mine a tad below the MOT height, which is all a combination of distance from the wall, height of lamp on the bike etc. I don't get flashed, don't get comments, and I can see the beam in the back of trucks/buses etc and it's all good. High beam is excellent.

I reckon you'll never look back and forever be wondering how the OEM set up was ever approved! Very definitely an upgrade!

Note that when you fit it, the beam is a horizontal line, it doesn't have a left/right bias. After a fair bit of research it seems this is becoming the new norm. I have set mine a tad below the MOT height, which is all a combination of distance from the wall, height of lamp on the bike etc. I don't get flashed, don't get comments, and I can see the beam in the back of trucks/buses etc and it's all good. High beam is excellent.

This is my second GSA, the first was a 2008 MU.
Both OEM Headlights were sh1te.
This one has LED Bulbs that the PO installed and it's pretty good.
I just don't want the aggro at MOT Time, or (as someone else has mentioned) any Insurance Complications.
Anyway, I like Farkly Bits!!!

Very interested in the fitment and performance of the Amazon unit. Im in exactly same predicament, HID's fitted but really like the look of the LED units. I await your results and thoughts!

Very interested in the fitment and performance of the Amazon unit. Im in exactly same predicament, HID's fitted but really like the look of the LED units. I await your results and thoughts!

It's due to arrive on Monday and I've already Stripped the OEM Unit out in readiness.
I'll let you know how well it goes in but I don't anticipate too many Issues.
It's a straightforward enough Job as long as the Replacement slots in OK.
As for Performance, God knows when I'll get to Report on that one!!

It's due to arrive on Monday and I've already Stripped the OEM Unit out in readiness.
I'll let you know how well it goes in but I don't anticipate too many Issues.
It's a straightforward enough Job as long as the Replacement slots in OK.
As for Performance, God knows when I'll get to Report on that one!!

Would be good to know what the low beam cast is like. I had an LED bulb but it spilled light everywhere and caused a lot of dazzle for oncoming drivers.

Hi

Little or no adjustment as ver 2 uses all 3 mounting points ( 2 side and one underneath) but seems okay to me and as I said no problems at Mot and also declared to Insurers.
Ver 1 which looks like it is still available only uses the 2 side mounts and therefore you can
Tilt the unit up or down.

With regards to light output not sure you get ‘more’ light but it is obviously whiter like the HID’s than the originals but the big difference is that it the lights do not overpower the reflectors and dazzle on coming vehicles at least that is what I find

Would be good to know what the low beam cast is like. I had an LED bulb but it spilled light everywhere and caused a lot of dazzle for oncoming drivers.

Hi

Little or no adjustment as ver 2 uses all 3 mounting points ( 2 side and one underneath) but seems okay to me and as I said no problems at Mot and also declared to Insurers.
Ver 1 which looks like it is still available only uses the 2 side mounts and therefore you can
Tilt the unit up or down.

With regards to light output not sure you get ‘more’ light but it is obviously whiter like the HID’s than the originals but the big difference is that it the lights do not overpower the reflectors and dazzle on coming vehicles at least that is what I find

To be honest, the LED Units that the P/O installed have given me no Issues at all so far, either at MOT or from other Road Users.
They were quite expensive as I recall from the Receipt in the History File, and they only have the LED's on either side, as opposed to some which have them all around the Stem. Given that the Reflector on the GSA has Vertical Sections as opposed to being one complete Dish, in theory there ought to be no real difference between the Light emitted from a H7 Bulb and the LED Unit.
The Beam Patterns were alright too.
I'm just erring on the side of (expensive) Caution by Installing the full LED Assembly.

A couple of questions if I may.
When turned on I guess the low beam comes on the same as the standard unit, so what's the point of the bright daytime riding part if you can't turn off the low beam?
I'm sure my clocks are mounted to the top of the standard headlight. Do these units do the same? Difficult to tell from the pictures.

A couple of questions if I may.
When turned on I guess the low beam comes on the same as the standard unit, so what's the point of the bright daytime riding part if you can't turn off the low beam?
I'm sure my clocks are mounted to the top of the standard headlight. Do these units do the same? Difficult to tell from the pictures.

The DRL just replaces the 5W Side Light.
The Clock Mount Bracket has to be switched across to the new Unit.

Unit arrived this afternoon - Speedy Service from Amazon.
Straightforward Install, but be aware that all Rubber Grommets and Captive Mounting Nuts need to be switched across from the old Unit.
Quality seems good with the exception of the very fragile single Wire on the DRL Plug, which was bent straight from the Box.
Also, as with most LED's, the DRL Plug MUST be Connected the correct way, otherwise it will not work.
Looks the Part, time will tell on Performance.

12k miles later. It's still on their doing it's job. Excellent upgrade for the money 20210117_202103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom