LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

12k miles later. It's still on their doing it's job. Excellent upgrade for the money View attachment 483017

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Good to hear., let's hope they're all like that.
With hindsight, I'm thinking that I should perhaps have gone for the Version you have.
If for no other reason than there is the Facility to Adjust the entire Unit Up / Down if needed.
The Direct OEM Replacement doesn't have that, which may or may not prove to be an issue - time will tell!

I read somewhere that the early versions of these did not have the locating peg on the bottom of the unit.
Do they all have the locating peg on the bottom?.
Also is there a height adjuster on the back like the OEM unit?.
I have been using quality Led bulbs for a number of years and I am considering this upgrade.

I read somewhere that the early versions of these did not have the locating peg on the bottom of the unit.
I have been using quality Led bulbs for a number of years and I am considering this upgrade.
You've heard right. The version I have (in the pic) sits above the little spigot that locates into the bottom of the OEM unit. That hasn't proved to be a problem actually. I just got it positioned just right for me on the bike.

I have looked to 3D print a little mechanism to adjust the lamp, but it hasn't been needed.

The mkii unit does locate into that spigot, but I'm not sure it has an adjuster mechanism.

The Version I have just bought has the Hole for the Locating Peg Chris, but no Facility for Level Adjustment.
The Version that Slipperyeel has, has neither apparently.

Oops...Pipped to the Post!!

Just taken the Hisky 350 in for MOT this morning

It has aftermarket LED unit fitted from ET Racing (road version, not the race one) so has both high and dipped beam.

Spoke to the guy at the testing station and in his words:

"The ones I can#t pass are the LED or HID that just scatter a beam everywhere. Provided they have a defined beam pattern that can be dipped so not to blind oncoming traffic, then I can pass them!"

Apologies that this isn't specific to Hexhaeads, but thought it would be useful.

It has aftermarket LED unit fitted from ET Racing (road version, not the race one) so has both high and dipped beam.

"The ones I can#t pass are the LED or HID that just scatter a beam everywhere. Provided they have a defined beam pattern that can be dipped so not to blind oncoming traffic, then I can pass them!"

Apologies that this isn't specific to Hexhaeads, but thought it would be useful.

That sounds promising,it would be nice to have a bit of give and take,will find out more at MOT time in the Spring

Kimbo

To be fair, the Debate has been ongoing for a few years now.
I fitted HID to my Valkyrie, LED to my Versys 1000 and the GSA had LED from the P/O.
All three have been through the MOT with no Issues at all and on several Occasions.
I even made a point of telling one Tester about the Install in the Valk and had him Double-Check the Beam Alignment.
He told me the same as your Guy told you.
I think it's down to choice of HID / LED and Type of Reflector you're working with.
If the two are Compatible, no problem.
Still, if nothing else, the new LED Unit has Lifted the Look of the old Beemer!!

The MoT tester that you refer to may be unaware of the recent communication from the authorities to testing stations dated February 2021 which clearly states:

You may be aware of some changes to the MOT regulations regarding HID Headlights which come into effect from the 1st February 2021.
The changes I have copied from the DVSA MOT tester's manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

The regs are unambiguous..... Nowhere is the tester permitted to choose which bulbs he can or can't pass since Feb 2021 and his advice to you is misleading......

The MoT tester that you refer to may be unaware of the recent communication from the authorities to testing stations dated February 2021 which clearly states:

You may be aware of some changes to the MOT regulations regarding HID Headlights which come into effect from the 1st February 2021.
The changes I have copied from the DVSA MOT tester's manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

The regs are unambiguous..... Nowhere is the tester permitted to choose which bulbs he can or can't pass since Feb 2021 and his advice to you is misleading......

But this did happen before the new rules have come in to force. He might act different in a few weeks time.

No, not entirely...... The new rule simply adds LED bulbs to the the original rule which specified only HIDS.....

I didn't add an LED bulb to an existing unit. I changed the whole unit.

So what if you have Hid spots then, what can they be swapped out for? I presume they will fail the mot as well! I wonder if Les wassel is looking at new solutions/recommendations?

So what if you have Hid spots then, what can they be swapped out for? I presume they will fail the mot as well! I wonder if Les wassel is looking at new solutions/recommendations?

The Regulations just mention Headlamps, not Auxiliary Lamps

The Regulations just mention Headlamps, not Auxiliary Lamps

They don't check the spots as part of the MOT test.
I was told by my MOT tester that even the side light bulb is not part of the test on bikes where the headlight is on all the time. My led sidelight bulb wasn't working and he said it didn't matter.

I fitted LED’s to my 1190R.

When I did, I set the beam up at my mate’s MOT place with perfect results.

So, if the beam pattern passes MOT how would a tester even know you’d changed bulbs unless they have an encyclopaedic knowledges of all production motorcycles?

Andres

I was told by my MOT tester that even the side light bulb is not part of the test on bikes where the headlight is on all the time.

I didn't know that.
I've been told to switch out my Blue Tinted S/L Bulbs on a Disco in the past, but I've never had any Issues of any kind with any of my Bikes so the Question has never been raised.

So, if the beam pattern passes MOT how would a tester even know you’d changed bulbs unless they have an encyclopaedic knowledges of all production motorcycles?

Andres
No idea, I've never had Issues with any of my Conversions.
It's the usual Sweeping Generalisation of the Regs designed as a "Catch All" I guess, regardless of the fact that many of us have a perfectly good Set-Up.

I didn't know that.
I've been told to switch out my Blue Tinted S/L Bulbs on a Disco in the past, but I've never had any Issues of any kind with any of my Bikes so the Question has never been raised.
Well. Very true. But...if it was an older (not instant-on) HID the warm up would be a giveaway... But apart from that, yes, a good break pattern would seem to be the issue.

I did have an LED 'bulb' in my OEM headlamp. After some overheating issues I designed and later 3D printed a vent to direct air over the coming fins at the back of the 'bulb'. But then I saw three purpose made LED headlamp unit and saw it as the answer. Which it was!

Back
Top Bottom