LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

Just fitted one of these LED headlights. I'm getting a lampf warning now and the horseshoe shaped running light isn't coming on. Is it a bad connection on one old sidelight wire? It all seems to be in place.

The horseshoe shaped lamp plugs into the sidelight connection, it needs to be plugged in the correct way around, try unplugging and turning it the opposite way and re fitting :thumb (rotate it)

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=483639&stc=1&d=1611413156
attachment.php

I'll try this.

Think I’ve sussed why yours fits and mine doesn’t, your headlight protector is an original BMW one that came with a black plastic replacement surround to go on the headlight with holes in it, mine must have the same spacing as that one, but not for aftermarket protectors.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...or-for-bmw-r1200gs-k25-and-adventure-k25.html

Great news, thanks for putting that up. So far.my mot man has been passing my 1100 but I was worried that this year I would have to change back to the original bulbs.
As you say common sense has prevailed...

I purchased an A3 size piece of 3mm Plexiglass from Ebay £8.11 Delivered which I cut 3 protectors from Used M5 expanding rubber bushes, 20mm long 12mm dia black nylon spacers, M5 X35 Torx screws and 5mm black nylon washers to go between the screw heads and the perspex.
I cut 3 protectors from the A3 sheet, So I made a spare setup so that I can swap them over in seconds while the dirty one soaks.
Total cost of 2 complete sets + 1 spare lens aprrox £15.
If the one you have purchased has the fitting kit just buy the perspex / plexiglass, I found it easy to cut with a 1mm slitting disc in an angle grinder.

WMBeTZP.jpg

Thanks for that, it looks like the way forward for this, I have ordered the bits and bobs and sent Kev from this site who makes the protectors a template of the surround, I just took it off, drew around and made some measurement, I’ll post up some pics when sorted :thumb

So, the original decision was that if the headlamp was converted for HID or LED it was an instant fail....

Guess what....

all change and carry on using the conversions...

News here...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t3SL9Ovzy34dXUkr0_35uAKoLippr1EW5mWORALy77Phw

Roger.

Another case of a Sweeping Change instead of addressing the Obvious.
Why WOULD you Fail a Headlamp Unit if (as mine have so far been in all my Converted Bikes) the Beam proves Passable on the Beam Alignment Tool?
Feckin Idiots!
I wouldn't have spent the money on Upgrading to Full LED if I hadn't thought I needed to for MOT, but I do like the Face Lifted Effect so no real harm done eh....?

Just pulled the headlight a bit so that I could get to measure the bottom.

Here are some dimensions to be getting on with.

1emPw1Q.jpg
[/IMG]
Ok gents. This mechanism is just about done. Last parts on a printer right now

Mistacat. I'm going to send you a PM. I want to send this mki version to you - there will definitely need to be some changes as I've used the dims from your photo and guesstimated some others!

But overall, I'm hoping it'll work. The parts in my hands right now are working well. But as we all know, the devil is in the detail!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I purchased an A3 size piece of 3mm Plexiglass from Ebay £8.11 Delivered which I cut 3 protectors from Used M5 expanding rubber bushes, 20mm long 12mm dia black nylon spacers, M5 X35 Torx screws and 5mm black nylon washers to go between the screw heads and the perspex.
I cut 3 protectors from the A3 sheet, So I made a spare setup so that I can swap them over in seconds while the dirty one soaks.
Total cost of 2 complete sets + 1 spare lens aprrox £15.
If the one you have purchased has the fitting kit just buy the perspex / plexiglass, I found it easy to cut with a 1mm slitting disc in an angle grinder.

WMBeTZP.jpg

Chuffed with this Perspex made by Kev/ geesexr from here, many thanks for the bolt measurements etc :thumb

ihYR1Rv.jpg

Well mine went for MOT this morning with HID's in, threw it on beam machine and height /pattern was almost perfect, so bike flew MOT no problem. My dilemma is do i pull all the tucked away ballasts out to change the unit for the LED one sitting in box or do i just leave as is? Has anyone compared the HID light output compared to LED light output and will the beam pattern be any good?

When I changed from Hid to Quality Led`s It was to have a fast acting main beam also the Hid was burning the reflector and sending it yellow.
The reduction in current drain was a bonus as well as tidying up the installation by getting rid of the ballasts.
I don`t think there was a lot of difference in light output.
I have now fitted the Chinese Led headlight unit, the wiring is even tidier and a lot more wattage on dip beam , the cut off is a lot sharper , but I have not been out at night yet so time will tell.

I have not been out at night yet so time will tell.

Just make sure the aim ain't too low before you venture out at night.

Honestly with the light too low and the sharp cut off it was near impossible to ride above 10mph in the dark.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Just make sure the aim ain't too low before you venture out at night.

Honestly with the light too low and the sharp cut off it was near impossible to ride above 10mph in the dark.

Thank you for the warning on this, I will go out at night to get a feel of it.
I have altered my headlight adjuster so that it now has a thumbwheel to make adjustment even easier.
I can now pull over and adjust it without getting off the bike.

APHVl5D.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello Gents.

After quite some back and forth getting things right. The headlamp adjuster is now ready!

I will make a separate post with the details, but AndyL from in here has been a saint. Mistacat has also been extremely useful with feedback (Mistacat, I have a little job for you, details to follow!)

But by way of a preview, this adjuster requires no drilling or screws. It will just require a day of no use while they 3M adhesive build its bond. But it's all ABS and stainless steel. It is also modular in so much as it can be reduced to its component parts.

Thank you AndyL!

Keep your eyes open for a fresh post on this.

Hello Gents.

After quite some back and forth getting things right. The headlamp adjuster is now ready!

I will make a separate post with the details, but AndyL from in here has been a saint. Mistacat has also been extremely useful with feedback (Mistacat, I have a little job for you, details to follow!)

But by way of a preview, this adjuster requires no drilling or screws. It will just require a day of no use while they 3M adhesive build its bond. But it's all ABS and stainless steel. It is also modular in so much as it can be reduced to its component parts.

Thank you AndyL!

Excellent!

Hello Gents.

Thank you AndyL!

Good man. People like you make this forum so valuable

Back
Top Bottom