Tool kit....

The Belgian feckers don't ship to the UK? That's an outrage and the last time we rescue them in a war! I shall at once pour all my Belgian beers down my neck, by way of protest.

No matter
I have a 1150 or 2
All tools supplied by BMW when new
Good chaps in 2005

I had a very quick play around on the internet, pricing stuff. GBP 120 choosing reasonable tools plus say a tenner for a bag. That’s GBP 130. Add £20 for the sake of it, gives GBP 150 or EUR 170. This includes VAT and postage.

The opening post’s price is EUR 247 PLUS tax. I assume, as it would be a post Brexit import, you’d add 20% VAT ie. EUR 50, let’s call that EUR 300. I am not sure about import duty? Even if we said EUR 300 that is GBP 270 or about GBP 120 more than you could assemble it yourself for.

gifts over £39 and goods over £135

cost of item + cost of shipping + 3% import duty - add all three together then 20% vat on the lot + £10 to post office/courier for them to import it - Should not have to pay vat at source

Probably a good thread - if it left out all the usual sanctimonious shit.

Everything you’ll need for Tesco’s car park.....

travel-tips-toolkit-1-1024x768.jpg

One good thing shown in the picture, is the tyre pump but he made a mistake. He’s bought a £30 Rocky Creek, naked, pump. He should have gone to a motor factor’s, bought the cheapest pump he could find and then removed its case. Inside he’d have found the same thing. Be careful when you run one, as they get very hot. In your excitement, don’t pick it up with bare hands.

Everything you’ll need for Tesco’s car park.....

travel-tips-toolkit-1-1024x768.jpg

One good thing shown in the picture, is the tyre pump but he made a mistake. He’s bought a £30 Rocky Creek, naked, pump. He should have gone to a motor factor’s, bought the cheapest pump he could find and then removed its case. Inside he’d have found the same thing. Be careful when you run one, as they get very hot. In your excitement, don’t pick it up with bare hands.

Do I won a prize for adding something essential ?

A 90 Degree adapter for the valve to airline- much easier when hands are cold and wet.

How many male Torx bolts / 12 point / spline bolts / damaged bolts do you expect to come across on your bike? If a bolt is already damaged, replace it now. Me? I’d replace it with the proper bolt from BMW parts (bugger the expense) whilst wondering how it got chewed-up in the first place.

Just buy a few metric combination spanners and / or a few metric sockets and a half decent ratchet wrench with an extension bar or two.

You’d be better off spending a little bit more on some reasonable quality male Torx drivers. The L-shaped ones are good, for an on-bike tool kit, making then easier to spin. The largest ones are only needed for the rear wheel bolts, the rest of the bolts (mainly) just hold the screen and the panels in place, so you don’t need to be Charles Atlas.

I suppose it depends on the make, harleys now have 12 point double hex all over the damn place, Ktms have a lot of Torx bolts

I suppose it depends on the make, harleys now have 12 point double hex all over the damn place, Ktms have a lot of Torx bolts

Aha, OK.

Buy one.

But do first refer to:
I looked at my motorcycle and at as many of the nuts, bolts and screws as I could see.
If he doesn’t own a HD or KTM, he ain’t gonna need one.

Get one of the rather lovely Facom Nano 1/4" mini ratchet/driver sets with all the drivers/torx/hex and sockets that you might need (and all in a very small case), plus a set of Wera Joker spanners and you are 90% of the way there.

Not cheap, but brilliant.

Add a plug kit and a motopressor and you are 95% and still about the size of a house brick. The rest is up to you.

Arguably, the most useful individual tool in the SBV kit shown in the opening post, is:

3 in 1 Multi-Tool (130mmL): T-handle - 1/4" Dr. Hex bit ratchet (75Nm) - 11mm ratchet (100Nm)

0f8245fda2b8931bd4080faa31f96ab8.png

In that it doubles (in fact, trebles) up.

There again, once you have the basic drivers, the ratchet, sockets and an extension bar, its use / addition is questionable, too.

Do I won a prize for adding something essential ?

A 90 Degree adapter for the valve to airline- much easier when hands are cold and wet.

A very useful addition :thumb2 Win 10 bikermate points.

The odd thing is that my 1600 has ‘horizontal’ valves, sticking out at right angles to the cast wheel spokes already. Many garage / fuel station air lines are (not surprisingly) designed to cater for ‘vertical’ valves, as found on most cars. Mix in that the tip of the airline most often hits the ground, damaging the brass valve clamp, rendering it frustratingly useless. I therefore carry a flexible valve extender.

I learnt this the hard way when I stopped at a garage at the bottom of the A1 in London to top a tyre up. Spent a pound on firing up the garage air line, only to find that the brass tip of the airline was so damaged that it let more air out than it pumped in.

9f89092e9e00d516cc97e5269a687469.png

The Belgian feckers don't ship to the UK? That's an outrage and the last time we rescue them in a war! I shall at once pour all my Belgian beers down my neck, by way of protest.

My selfless protest worked.

They are now shipping to the UK. Fill yer boots.

It just so happens that I received NN’s newsletter today with this little toolkit promoted.

It must be cheap rubbish at that price compared with the quotes on here?

Attachments

• 4B28BB60-5F58-4893-A279-A66180385155.jpg
    4B28BB60-5F58-4893-A279-A66180385155.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 272
It must be cheap rubbish at that price compared with the quotes on here?

It would be better than nothing.

Nippy’s official BMW kit is in a different league, price wise.....

5860226340633b197b3b9ee29c7ab695.png

Though even then bods find something to moan about.....

203ca669acda369026d489ae8e914a7a.png

Easton Hamish (crazy name, crazy guy) would fit right in here.

Essential in any RTW trippers tool kit:

Attachments

• Ties tape wd.jpg
    Ties tape wd.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 229
All wasted on me.

I’m the guy in ‘Zen & the Art....’ who point blank refuses to have a bit of coke can used as a shim on his precision engineered bike.
No chance - nope - not going to happen :D

Instead of taking many spanners of various sizes take two spanners, one that fits any size nuts from 8mm up to 13mm and the other that fits 13mm - 24mm.

Here's my quality 13mm-24mm example, from blue-point. Far far better than any of the awful adjustable type tools.

Attachments

• blue point.JPG
    blue point.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 169
Instead of taking many spanners of various sizes take two spanners, one that fits any size nuts from 8mm up to 13mm and the other that fits 13mm - 24mm.

Here's my quality 13mm-24mm example, from blue-point. Far far better than any of the awful adjustable type tools.

Couldn't find those online, there was a cheap make but worth getting something you can rely on. Knipex pliers work quite well though

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/han...MIhZ2zkYum8gIVCrTtCh1W9AXEEAQYBSABEgKsp_D_BwE

Back
Top Bottom