Low seat question.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been looking at an xr with a low seat, or at least that's what the seller thinks it has fitted.
I don't need it to be lowered so I'm trying to establish what's involved in converting it back to standard height.

Is it simply a case of swapping for a standard seat or are there different seat mounts etc to be considered?

At this stage I'm assuming it's not a factory low chassis version with different suspension components and shortened sidestand etc.

Thanks.

You need to know whether its a factory low or just low seat

There is no such thing as a low chassis - otherwise the engine wont fit, ;) it's a strange way they identify factory low bikes lol

So if its just low seat, swap it for another normal or high seat.

If it is a factory low it will need F&R suspension units & a side / centre stand

normaly any seat they do comes with a +-20mm height adjustment, so you may not need to change anything

Best way is to get the vin number and put it into an online decoder which will list the options fitted to the bike

If i have i'd it correctly the lowered option code is X499A

Thanks Santa. That’s clarified it thanks. I’ve no intention of messing about with suspension units etc. I’ll get the vin and work from there. Cheers.

hello,
i didn't think the seat was adjustable... if it is, how is it done, could do with losing a touch of height

I have just bought an R1200R (here of the forum) which either has the standard seat or the low seat, not sure which. And the seat is non adjustable. For me, Ive had to order a new seat.
I'm pretty sure the XR is the same - non adjustable, just a variety of seat heights. I think the only adjustable seats were in the GS / GSA range where you could flip the mini dumbbell over that lives under the seat to alter its height.

:thumb2

As has been stated, the seat does not have adjustment in itself but the 2 x plastic “support bungs” upon which the front of the seat locates onto can be changed to allow the seat to basically drop / tilt slightly further forward.

The guy who bought my XR a couple of months ago did it as he found the bike a tad too high for him.

Apparently Wunderlich do them for around £30 but I am sure the cheaper Chinese options would suffice for something like this.

Ahh ok didn’t know you could get different sized bungs

Ahh ok didn’t know you could get different sized bungs

They are not different sizes as such, the centre hole is offset, so instead of rotating round the central pin, it is an elliptical rotation which moves the bobbin either 10mm down or 10mm up

Sheesh …. 90p postage … I’ll have to have a think about that one …

when i was looking at the XR, I did a test rid eon standard height- 4 hour riding about no issues, the next day at a different shop on a lowered one, returned bike after 20 mins as f+**ing incompfortable, felt like i was sitting on frame rails
pain as i am slightly vertically challenged

Back
Top Bottom