Shetland

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What’s there to see up there then? :nenau. Any local tossers?
I made a very quick visit a couple of years back but that was off the ferry in the morning and back on it in the evening with work and didn’t get to see anything to be honest. :blast
I fancy having a trip up there camping with the bike solo when all this bollocks is over. Are there many campsites and is wild camping allowed? Obviously leaving no trace. :thumb2
Any interesting historical sites and stunning secluded beaches? Weather is very hit and miss I’m guessing being that far up. Are the small ferries connecting the islands regular or one a day sort of thing? Am I missing anything else? :nenau

I lived on Unst for 3 years; inter island ferries are regular and you can go from Lerwick to Unst via Yell within a couple of hours. Watch out for sheep on the roads, camping is usually available in the grounds of the leisure centres but I believe wild camping is an option.

The ride up to the old Saxa Vord radar dome is great for the view as is Burrafirth. Lots of Viking related stuff to see on all the islands. Last time I was up there you could book a basic room in the old RAF base known as Saxa Resort on Unst, not sure if it’s still on the go.

Lots of secluded beaches that look almost Caribbean but obviously freezing.

Great for wildlife, chance of seeing killer whales, seals, puffins, gannets, sea otters etc.

Also great for fishing, take a travel rod if it’s your thing, good for trout in the lochs and plenty of sport from the beaches and piers too.

No doubt Leasky can tell you anything else you need and be more up to date, it’s been a long time since I was there.

I've been most places up here yet Shetland has never been on my to do list, no idea why cause anyone who I've spoke to who has been said it is great.

*Edit to add: Nothing to the topic whatsoever :blast:D

I spotted a motorcycle museum when I was there in December 2019, unfortunately it wasn’t open apparently due to illness of the owner, I enjoyed my time on the islands though.

I've been to Sumburgh airport a few times with work. The Jarlshoff near to the airport is very interesting and I want to get up to Sumburgh head, rather than just flying a few feet above it on the approach to the airport.

These site gives loads of good information https://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/shetland/ and https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areashet/index.html

Simon King is doing a wildlife year in Shetland on the TV and the weather is either stunning or horrendous!

It was his program I was watching which has re sparked my interest in getting up there.
I did a quick price up for the ferry. To get my 9m motorhome over it would cost me just short of £800! :eek:
To get the bike over is about £200. :thumb2. And that’s mid season prices.

If you're heading to Shetland, you might as well take in Orkney on the way there or back.

https://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/

I did most of Orkney last year. :thumb2
Stunning place! I stayed in my motorhome on the campsite at the leisure centre. It was too wet to get the bike out so I hired a little car for a few days. It was out of season and I was the only person at Skara Brae. :thumb2 I spent absolutely ages talking to the lovely lady guide about the place. It’s scary to see how much land the sea has taken in towards it. Could be lost in a decade or two! :eek:

Attachments

• 5F880299-355A-48C6-87CC-9F69C2704375.jpg
    5F880299-355A-48C6-87CC-9F69C2704375.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 402
Go on you bike during the Simmer dim Rally in june and combine that with the visit got to be the way to go

I spoke to somebody in Shetlands today. They have taken holidays there for years and have just moved there from Switzerland.

They love the place!

Go on you bike during the Simmer dim Rally in june and combine that with the visit got to be the way to go

Oof, not a chance! :blast Never been to a rally and never will. Couldn’t think of anything worse to do on a bike. I like to go away in the off season. There’s a lot less people about. I was the only visitor at the Tomb of the Eagles and the Italian Chapel too. Perfect! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom