2021 701s announced

Excellent.

942d79e4efec2f7ee51756429448b19b.jpg

Twizzle will be along to guffaw and hee-haw at this like a donkey shortly.

For an average rider wanting a mid range adventure bike they can do most things on and pick it up easily when the inevitable happens either an FE501 or an EXC500 is the sensible choice 👍

Toddy’s post starts mentioning skill levels so you’re into a different ball game as a skilled off road rider will be good on nearly anything.

I suppose if an average Joe was looking for a middle weight mid range adv style bike then I still think they might consider both.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then :)

For an average rider wanting a mid range adventure bike they can do most things on and pick it up easily when the inevitable happens either an FE501 or an EXC500 is the sensible choice 👍

You would say that wouldn’t you :D

Andres

There's six folk in my TRF group who have 701s (or new variant 690's) as their only off road bikes and they do some pretty gnarly stuff on them no problem at all. A good rider will be able to do most stuff in the UK without too many issues. Less experienced folk might struggle and would be better off with something lighter (e.g. 250 or 350).

Having ridden a similar 650cc class bike for 7 years (xchallenge) on all manner of trails in uk and some gnarley trails, there wasn’t many places you couldn’t take a 650-690 single

I thought hard about a 690/701 last year (we have a KTM road dealer 4 miles away and another dirt KTM dealer 6 mikes away - so spoilt for orange very locally) and decided against it as I’d had a similar bike in the past and on road, a single is a single

I chose a T700 as I wanted a twin this time and one in the 150-200kg range with some decent off-road potential and some better ability on road - for me the T.700 does that

So far, I have taken the T7 on most of the lanes in Yorkshire that I have done on either a KTM 500 or a WR250F
It isn’t too heavy on the lanes I have ridden it and the torquey T700 engine is far more tractable than most similar twins

Looking on YouTube there are some riders that are doing some serious off-road on the T700, equally as gnarley as where you would take a 690

John of Rally Raid has done the 600 mile off-road GWT on a T700 through Dorset/Devon & Cornwall on some fairly extreme single track rocky lanes (ones that Cookie would be familiar with) and the bike did just fine

He’s very familiar with 690/701 as he has ridden 690 since 2008 and developed many parts for 690

He rates the T700 and his view is respected

There isn’t a unicorn bike yet - all are a compromise

Toddy’s post starts mentioning skill levels so you’re into a different ball game as a skilled off road rider will be good on nearly anything.

I suppose if an average Joe was looking for a middle weight mid range adv style bike then I still think they might consider both.

But they can’t both be middle weights when one is 45 ish kgs heavier than the other !

But they can’t both be middle weights when one is 45 ish kgs heavier than the other !

I don’t think there exists a jobsworth in a hi vis jacket and a weighbridge to back you up on that. Sorry.

And listen to JB for once. He is talking sense. :thumb2

Having ridden a similar 650cc class bike for 7 years (xchallenge) on all manner of trails in uk and some gnarley trails, there wasn’t many places you couldn’t take a 650-690 single

I thought hard about a 690/701 last year (we have a KTM road dealer 4 miles away and another dirt KTM dealer 6 mikes away - so spoilt for orange very locally) and decided against it as I’d had a similar bike in the past and on road, a single is a single

I chose a T700 as I wanted a twin this time and one in the 150-200kg range with some decent off-road potential and some better ability on road - for me the T.700 does that

So far, I have taken the T7 on most of the lanes in Yorkshire that I have done on either a KTM 500 or a WR250F
It isn’t too heavy on the lanes I have ridden it and the torquey T700 engine is far more tractable than most similar twins

Looking on YouTube there are some riders that are doing some serious off-road on the T700, equally as gnarley as where you would take a 690

John of Rally Raid has done the 600 mile off-road GWT on a T700 through Dorset/Devon & Cornwall on some fairly extreme single track rocky lanes (ones that Cookie would be familiar with) and the bike did just fine

He’s very familiar with 690/701 as he has ridden 690 since 2008 and developed many parts for 690

He rates the T700 and his view is respected

There isn’t a unicorn bike yet - all are a compromise

Nowt wrong with any of that JB

Which kind of proves that you should just buy the bike you like the most, and can afford, then go ride the feckin thing as much as possible and wherever you can.

Nowt wrong with any of that JB

Which kind of proves that you should just buy the bike you like the most, and can afford, then go ride the feckin thing as much as possible and wherever you can.

Absolutely .
But this thread is in the Husky section for those that might be interested in the new 701s,not to justify why they bought something else instead. :)

The only thing I have to add to this discussion,
I’ve ridden arseys 950 se.
A good mate now owns it.
If I could only have one bike,
It would be that one.
I’ve not got him to sell me it yet,,,

Edit,
I’d take a 950 se over a hp2 e every day of the week:D

Absolutely .
But this thread is in the Husky section for those that might be interested in the new 701s,not to justify why they bought something else instead. :)

You & only you ....brought the Tenere into this 701 thread in post #5

Nobody else mentioned it....Only YOU

You alone .....chose to denigrate (thinking you are clever and funny, but a bit like name calling in a kindergarten) it in post #5, so I responded

Sometimes you should think before you post

You & only you ....brought the Tenere into this 701 thread in post #5

Nobody else mentioned it....Only YOU

You alone chose to denigrate it in post #5, so I responded

Sometimes you should think before you post

Which was a tic response to your childish post #3, slagging off the 701LR.
Now please go troll elsewhere.You’re getting a tad boring now.

Which was a tic response to your childish post #3, slagging off the 701LR.
Now please go troll elsewhere.You’re getting a tad boring now.

TIC - yeah but twist the knife like you always do, make it personal and put down another forum member in a childish manner

I was asking a genuine question in post 3 - no trolling (I leave that to you)

Have LR sales been good or not?

If they can get Euro 5 for the 701 enduro then it’s a cinch for the 701 LR, surely ?

We have four children under the age of 7 in our house and none of them act like you two so can you both please kiss and make up.

I had actually never considered the 701 as an Adventure Bike. I've always thought it was a Trail Bike like wot we used to have.

I suppose the 701LR is more of an Adventure Bike though, and the T7 definitely is one.

At the end of Q3 2020, only 16 were on UK roads, so it’ll always be rare.

I was looking for the site that says how many vehicles are registered per year, by model. I've used it before but couldn't find it. Is that the site you found the above info?

I suppose the 701LR is more of an Adventure Bike though, and the T7 definitely is one.

Andres laughed at me when I suggested the 701 might be considered an adv bike.

Bet he doesn’t laugh at you. :D

Couple of lads I know in TRF, use their 690/701's as longer distance trail/adv bikes for TET and load up with camping gear

For trail and enduro they use their 2 stroke EXC 300's

That’s ‘cos Cookie didn’t say the 701 may be considered an ‘adventure’ bike. In fact he said quite the opposite, he said it was a trail bike.

Read the posts more carefully smelly poo :D

Andres

I don't see the 701 as an adventure bike. I differentiate between the 701 and the 701LR.

Back
Top Bottom