Advice please?

Hexme

Reaction score
I currently own a Ducati 1260S, 14 months old 2000 miles on the clock, as you can see not used much apart from dry days! Lockdown hasn't helped and is probably more of a toy than anything else.

I've had 3 GSA's in the past. all air cooled, the first 2 were amazing, the last one had terrible corrosion and never felt planted above 60mph. I was younger then and had money 'On the hip' so swapping bikes for something newer and/or different wasn't a problem (i'm not quite that lucky anymore :augie).

I gave up biking about 3 years ago and really missed it, hence the Ducati, always wanted one so I had a bit of spare cash after downsizing my house, I told SWMBO this was my last bike ever and she believed me :blast

Problem is that the GS thing never goes away... I really miss having a GS in my garage hence this post and some questions please? Don't worry not going to ask what oil to use :headbat

Been looking at a couple of nearly new GSA's online, would like to have a trip to my local stealer but things aren't easy at the moment due to the National Lockdown.

So a couple of questions please?

1. I'm a bit of a short arse and always had a low seat on my previous bikes, is this possible on the newer models or is it a case of finding a lowered frame model?
2. The bike looks big, is there much difference in size/weight compared to the older air cooled GS adventure.
3. The older bikes used to be specked with 2 different packs, Dynamic used to be one of them if memory serves. looking at the newer bikes the have TE, Rallye, Exclusive etc. Really confused!!

Again, apologies for some of the dumb questions but I'm expecting a call from my local dealer today and want to be straight in my mind whats what before being pushed toward something I'm not sure of.

Thanks peeps.

Hi Hexme,

1. Plenty of low seats around as well as lowered suspension. The seat on newer LC's and 1250's is narrower than the the air cooled. Unless you're one of Snow Whites little mates the bike will not be any bigger/taller for you.
2. Size doesn't matter (apparently). They're pretty much the same size and only a few kilos different in weight-and I mean just a few. You won't notice the difference.
3. Have a look on Motorrad's website, it explains what comes with what, such as ESA, Tyre Pressure monitor, cruise control etc. TBH a lot of the names refer to colour schemes too.

I went from a 2010 air cooled to a 2017 LC. Engine is more responsive, gear change is a lot smoother, engine doesn't sound as nice (IMO), seat is slightly more comfortable, heated grips are hotter, inside of right leg tends to feel the heat off the exhaust more than the airhead, lights are much better (LED) but I personally feel the screen lets in more air/turbulence thus it's a little noisier. These are just my personal opinions, no doubt others will differ. Take a few out on test rides and get a feel for it yourself.:beerjug:

Hi Hexme,

1. Plenty of low seats around as well as lowered suspension. The seat on newer LC's and 1250's is narrower than the the air cooled. Unless you're one of Snow Whites little mates the bike will not be any bigger/taller for you.
2. Size doesn't matter (apparently). They're pretty much the same size and only a few kilos different in weight-and I mean just a few. You won't notice the difference.
3. Have a look on Motorrad's website, it explains what comes with what, such as ESA, Tyre Pressure monitor, cruise control etc. TBH a lot of the names refer to colour schemes too.

I went from a 2010 air cooled to a 2017 LC. Engine is more responsive, gear change is a lot smoother, engine doesn't sound as nice (IMO), seat is slightly more comfortable, heated grips are hotter, inside of right leg tends to feel the heat off the exhaust more than the airhead, lights are much better (LED) but I personally feel the screen lets in more air/turbulence thus it's a little noisier. These are just my personal opinions, no doubt others will differ. Take a few out on test rides and get a feel for it yourself.:beerjug:

Beg to differ , the seat on the new GS is 60mm wider at the front than the Hexhead seat - see below

To the OP,

Whether to go for a factory low option will depend a lot on your inside leg and arch when on the bike

The old 06 Hexhead didn't do a factory low as standard - I believe it was introduced with the change to the twin cam

There is no such thing as a low chassis. The frame is the same size whatever the bike

The factory low is achieved by fitting 30mm lower front & rear shocks & lowered side and centre stand

Seat height on the old bikes as you know has roughly 30mm adjustment so would help get you lower -

On the GS i went for an low seat and it helped - fitting 30mm lowered Wilbur's side and centre stand made the bike brilliant

The new GS with the factory low, purports to get you to a 790mm seat height by way of:-

Lowered suspension F&R lowered Side & Centre stands and fitting the low option seat in the low position

However because the seat is 60mm wider at the front it pushes your legs wider so you your arch lowers which means you loose the 30mm lowering benefit

The only way around this is to fit an ultralow seat which goes 30mm lower than the low seat .

You can then flatfoot at least onside easily

I'm 5'5 with a 28" inside leg

In terms of options and performance, i picked up a 2016 TE, all boxes ticked bike

Leaps and bounds more refined than a hexhead - but has zero character / soul

Back
Top Bottom