KLR700

its a shame its not coming here as we don't have a decent or even rubbish big Japanese single. They were popular back in the 80s early 90s then bigger bikes took over and now you cant get one. there's always a place for something cheap and reliable and its going to be pretty decent. not everyone wants a 690/701 for technical riding and dubious reliability .
a sturdy workhouse can also be fun and often more.:thumb

the camo one looks naff quite like this khaki one

Attachments

• 25396D57-CAA8-465B-BEB2-2621A5430854_4_5005_c.jpeg
    25396D57-CAA8-465B-BEB2-2621A5430854_4_5005_c.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 226D69A4-1664-412C-8CB0-59667B5F4D7D_4_5005_c.jpeg
    226D69A4-1664-412C-8CB0-59667B5F4D7D_4_5005_c.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 230
its a shame its not coming here as we don't have a decent or even rubbish big Japanese single. They were popular back in the 80s early 90s then bigger bikes took over and now you cant get one. there's always a place for something cheap and reliable and its going to be pretty decent. not everyone wants a 690/701 for technical riding and dubious reliability .
a sturdy workhouse can also be fun and often more.:thumb

the camo one looks naff quite like this khaki one

Agree - at £5k I would probably take a punt!!!

At 5k it will sell well i would imagine; there's not much to touch it at that price.

theres no way it would be £5k and I don’t think its euro 5 so won’t be coming here anyway. Maybe there will be something else for europe in the future.

10 years too late for its specification and if it ever came to the UK it would no doubt be at least £6700

10 years too late for its specification and if it ever came to the UK it would no doubt be at least £6700

I don't believe the spec would hold it back, there's a market for basic bikes just look how the enfield Himalayan has taken off and that resembles a bike from the 80s in many ways. I think you about right with the price. I cant seeing it being much less than £6500. still it would be good value most bikes are over 10 grand now. its closest competition would probably be a cb500x .

There undoubtedly is a market for a basic single but it will be lot smaller than the market for a similar twin like the T700 or ktm

Looking at the link,(I realise it’s a cgi rendition)
But that looks like an overweight twin with a plank for a seat.
I do hope Kawasaki can do better than that.
It would be nice to see anyone other than ktm produce a new bike under 200 kg.(I realise some of their bikes are over)
Even the 500 Honda is nudging that:blast
How true the quoted dry figure was for a mk1 k25 GS was at 205 kg I don’t know but bikes don’t seem to get any lighter.
Here’s hoping:thumb

I’m sure it will be fairly expensive and more of a s-off-t roader but the forthcoming Aprilia Tuareg could well be under 200kg as the New Tuono is around 180kg.

Well at starting $6,700 over here it's cheap enough because Honda's new CRF300L Rally is $6,000. But cheap and a large gas tank are about all it has going for it. My God that old engine's primitive counterbalancer is still driven by two bicycle sprockets and chain! They've managed to get the weight up to 460#, hold both engine torque and HP to under 40, while keeping a 5-speed gearbox. Sad.

Well at starting $6,700 over here it's cheap enough because Honda's new CRF300L Rally is $6,000. But cheap and a large gas tank are about all it has going for it. My God that old engine's primitive counterbalancer is still driven by two bicycle sprockets and chain! They've managed to get the weight up to 460#, hold both engine torque and HP to under 40, while keeping a 5-speed gearbox. Sad.

Just built it for the American market ....again

It's almost as if Kawasaki, and certainly Suzuki, are winding down R&D in anticipation of exiting powersports all together.

I cannot understand the love for the old KLR650, a mate owned one which I rode and it was a bit of an underpowered 'donk' of a bike , old fashioned when it was current 10 years ago

There's still a future in petrol engines as well as battery motors for powersports.

I cannot understand the love for the old KLR650, a mate owned one which I rode and it was a bit of an underpowered 'donk' of a bike , old fashioned when it was current 10 years ago

Having ridden a couple Stateside I find they are hopelessly underpowered, heavy, uncomfortable and totally lacking character.

They are pretty bomb proof though and the old Yanks seems to like pottering along on these contraptions.

There's still a future in petrol engines as well as battery motors for powersports.

Is there ?

Are you sure ?

Chainsaws are battery
Garden tools are battery
Cars are battery
Bikes are battery
Boat engines for pleasurecraft are battery

It’s only going one way

I would argue that for vast swaths of the world without a hope of a charging infrastructure (and that includes large areas of countries such as the US) IC engines have a future for now.

Andres

Yes I'm quite sure there's a future for powersports, using both petrol and increasingly battery. Sad that Suzuki and Kawasaki seem to be stagnant as if they're not interested in it any longer.

Having ridden a couple Stateside I find they are hopelessly underpowered, heavy, uncomfortable and totally lacking character.

They are pretty bomb proof though and the old Yanks seems to like pottering along on these contraptions.

Over on ADVRIDER they are revered - I read that it was the most anticipated bike of the year !!!!
I rode one and it wouldn't pull a boy scout off a grandmother

Back
Top Bottom