KLR700

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So Kawasaki are launching a couple of new bikes in a week or so, one is rumoured to be a KLR700, any bets on if we’ll see it or is it just wishful daydreaming? A friend of mine in the states is a long time Kawasaki fan is is hoping to replace his now sold KLR650.

I bet that KLR 650 is a direct rival to the transalp, tenere era. Maybe the relaunched will be aimed at tenere 700, husq oweners?

The KLR is long due a revamp. It competed with the XR600 and 650 back in the day and haven't changed. Much like the XR650. I guess if you like old school you can still buy a new old bike.

The articles regarding the alleged replacement refer to it as the KLX700 , intimating a twin engine based on the Versys 650 motor with 70 bhp.

If this is correct yes it has a superb record for reliability but is an old engine design and having just refitted one it is also a bloody heavy lump

It just seems short sited that Kawasaki dropped the old KLR 650 a couple years ago without having a replacement ready. It finally appears it may be announced this coming Tuesday (26 Jan).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIeRVyrt6c

Well I hope it’s going to be a worthy replacement we didn’t have the klr for nowhere near as long as you did but at least it appears to have half decent ground clearance. :beerjug:

Having had KLR250, KLX250 in Asia and the KLR650 here, I am also very keen to see what they launch. I am watching the T7 prices drop and ready to pounce, but this may well change my mind. Great understated bikes in the past.

It will be interesting to see if the 700 shows and what it’ll be like (softroader or half decent offroad capability). Not a huge fan of Kawasaki’s these days (was in the 80’s & 90’s), but its always niece to see a new bike.

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/kawasaki-klx-700-could-join-the-adventure-game-would-you-buy-it/

Looking at this original post by Neil... If they make this T7 slayer, I'll probably buy one... Or maybe it'll seal the deal on a T7 for me
Looking at the link,(I realise it’s a cgi rendition)
But that looks like an overweight twin with a plank for a seat.
I do hope Kawasaki can do better than that.
It would be nice to see anyone other than ktm produce a new bike under 200 kg.(I realise some of their bikes are over)
Even the 500 Honda is nudging that:blast
How true the quoted dry figure was for a mk1 k25 GS was at 205 kg I don’t know but bikes don’t seem to get any lighter.
Here’s hoping:thumb

There’s a nice 640 Adventure for sale on the KTM forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As has been said previously, if the pics are a true likeness it looks like it will be overweight. Anything approaching 200kg or above makes it a handful off-road and spoils the fun. Factor in the bean counters will have it built down to a price so predictably the suspension will be “budget” and will struggle to cope with the excess weight and make it an unpleasant ride on anything other than gentle fire roads off road and dull on road.
I’d love to be proved wrong though and it turns out to be a light, pokie, well suspended, exciting and AFFORDABLE machine. ;)

I’d love to be proved wrong though and it turns out to be a light, pokie, well suspended, exciting and AFFORDABLE machine. ;)

The engineers and designers have probably done exactly that, problem is, the bean counters rejected that bike and told them to go away and make an AFFORDABLE machine ! ;)

Attachments

• new klr.jpg
    new klr.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 225
Kawasaki Heavy Industries has produced its best ever KLR650, the ultimate travel and offroad motorcycle........ looks like the bean counters won the day :blast

But to be fair, if they bang these out at CRF300L money I guess thats OK, theres a market for cheap and atleast its not Chinese crap.

Looking at the handguards, you’ll never get wet and cold hands ;)

Attachments

• 66557BF5-4D91-4A28-B29B-E4F9C1575910.jpeg
    66557BF5-4D91-4A28-B29B-E4F9C1575910.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 220

Back
Top Bottom