Russian Motorcycles Sidecars

I’ve recently lost the purchase of a nice MZ and that got me thinking.

I found this website and thought it worth sharing.

Anyone on here run a Russian combo?

Yes...I've got two Urals (well, three actually, but one's a solo)...a 650 and a 750.

Don't confuse Dneprs with Urals.
Dneprs are Ukranian, Urals are Russian...although quite a few parts are interchangeable.

Probably a personal choice thing, but! Which are better, urals or dnepers?

Probably a personal choice thing, but! Which are better, urals or dnepers?

I don't believe anyone can say any vehicle is "better" than any other, as there are too many variables and personal criteria, but I've confidently and reliably used my Urals in ways that I doubt I could with a Dnepr.
There are some very well sorted and reliable Dneprs out there, but that's after a lot of sorting has been done to them.

Both brands require mechanical empathy but Urals will give less grief...a "bad" Ural is usually the result of a bad owner.

I don't believe anyone can say any vehicle is "better" than any other, as there are too many variables and personal criteria, but I've confidently and reliably used my Urals in ways that I doubt I could with a Dnepr.
There are some very well sorted and reliable Dneprs out there, but that's after a lot of sorting has been done to them.

Both brands require mechanical empathy but Urals will give less grief...a "bad" Ural is usually the result of a bad owner.

Any thoughts on the 1974 MW750 military combo, I guess it’s a DNEPR?

Attachments

• B466D2CA-B1FF-4FB3-B891-6AF7F207183B.jpg
    B466D2CA-B1FF-4FB3-B891-6AF7F207183B.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 180
Any thoughts on the 1974 MW750 military combo, I guess it’s a DNEPR?

I like the look of it but I wouldn't bother with it.

The true military ones are a different kettle of fish entirely mate, but beware that it's very, very, easy to create a lookalike replica from a civilian one.

It's a Dnepr in that it's not a Ural, but strictly speaking what we know as Dneprs are only the civilian models built later, and if that's a genuine military bike it would be known as a KMZ MV-750.
However, some of them were called M72 because they were equipped with the Ural built M72 engine.
You'll note that the one shown is a sidevalve engine rather than the later OHV ones fitted to Urals and Dneprs.

The KMZ is Kiev Motorcycle Works, later otherwise known as Dnepr....as opposed to IMZ (Irbit Motorcycle Works) which is Ural.

You need to Google it a bit as there's too much to type on here.

Fundamental differences between Dneprs and Urals are that Dneprs have very rounded mudguards instead of flattened topped Ural ones, Dnepr petrol tanks are always deep coffin style instead of more rounded Ural ones with horizontal seams, on the OHV engines Dneprs are square finned instead of Ural oval finned, and Dnepr swinging arms are inside the frame tubes, while Ural swinging arms are outside of the frame.
Also, Ural sidecars have a swing up boot lid while Dnepr sidecars don't have a lid, needing the seat to be folded forwards for access.

Back
Top Bottom