Stretching a pair of Altbergs

I am cautiously optimistic. They have stretched a little by just wearing them around the house and at work and on the bike. I'd like to be able to get off the bike, unpack the camera gear and go for a decent walk in them. If these don't work out I'll probably buy a set made for me.

The freezer and the water bag is not computing for me though. When it freezes, the water is just going to expand out the boot? It'll take the path of least resistance? I'll try a few of these tips over the weekend. The plastic shoe stretchers will be no match for a pair of altbergs. LOL.

I am cautiously optimistic. They have stretched a little by just wearing them around the house and at work and on the bike. I'd like to be able to get off the bike, unpack the camera gear and go for a decent walk in them. If these don't work out I'll probably buy a set made for me.

The freezer and the water bag is not computing for me though. When it freezes, the water is just going to expand out the boot? It'll take the path of least resistance? I'll try a few of these tips over the weekend. The plastic shoe stretchers will be no match for a pair of altbergs. LOL.

the water torture sounds a good plan, the water should expand as it freezes uniformly over its whole surface area, ( you get freezing pipes that still burst even when the whole pipe contents has not frozen along its length) so worth a go

Option 1.
Bag of water in the toe. Fill the rest of the boot with sharp sand and tamp it down. Freeze and repeat.

Option 2.
Soak the relevant area on the outside of the boot, leather expands/stretches when it gets wet. Install a set of old fashioned shoe trees with extra padding taped on where you need the room and allow to dry.

https://www.shoe-trees.co.uk/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/d313286cbfb8d16d7c91eb8d1a374813/c/h/chelsea-boot-tree-2000.jpg

Do bear in mind that the boots have a waterproof membrane so soaking the inside of them may not work too well.

I picked up a nice pair of altbergs off someone on the site recently.

Used? If used, the leather is already stretched some what, there is a limit. Leather stretches, however the waterproof membrane doesn't give that much.
I use Saphir for best results. Some of the suggestions mentioned above will definitely fuck up the leather long run. From new the boot leather is dyed and oils added during the process. Follow whatever the manufacture recommends. For example Aero recommends not to put anything on the horse leather jackets.

https://www.monsieurchaussure.com/en/footwear-comfort/oke-shoe-stretch-spray-by-saphir-150ml.html

Personally sounds like the boots don't fit you, and you need a boot with a wider box toe.
Let us know how it goes.

Hello, I'm checking in to update on the boots.

I tried a combination of your suggestions and I have also just worn them. The area around the front of the boots has softened quite a bit and stretched slightly. Different insoles. They are still not as secure as I'd like around the heal but they are rock solid and I can see myself using them in the garden or around the house for heavy work in the future, thats if they don't work as an all day/everyday boot for the motorbike. Good boots. Very warm and dry feet.

Back
Top Bottom