Jaunts to boil Micky’s piss... or get an Eifel of this

Wapping

Reaction score
“Don’t tell ‘em anything about the Eifel....”

Closer and more varied than the Alps, it’s somewhere not to be missed. Here’s just a taster from a number suggested in Tourenfahrer magazine.

Clervaux, St Vith, Adenau - 236 km - that’s near enough 150 miles in Christian units.

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/adenau-luxemburg-166/detail/

58ce93e14e9a31558bfca6bb2f7cbc1f.png

The automatic translation from ‘foreign’ into passable English, works pretty well....

60938237806e1ef956755121a6672d3d.png

If you haven’t by now got the idea as to how to download the GPX files (two euro) or use the zoomable maps to mix’n’match jaunts to suit yourself, you never will have.

Thank you.

I am with you on the quality and variation available in the Ardennes / across the border into Germany’s Eifel. Anything from big open sweepers, to hairpins, to niggly little forest roads, big views and some ‘technical’ roads that can leap out to bite the unwary.

Jaunts to boil Micky’s piss...

“How do I get there, mate? I want D roads, no motorways. Leaving tomorrow morning. Can’t wait....”

Easy, you ask ViaMichelin for, let’s say, Calais to Clervaux to Adenau, excluding motorways and toll roads...

a46eee5376266047099a3a63b85ffadd.png

Then you ask Kurviger the same question, which will give you a different variation, just like asking bods here...

3c53b9733e833b520bcaad51cfe6c135.png

Then you ask Google maps....

7a019b8b94ee37477e226538d8e4dc91.png

Which will give you you another tweak on the same theme.

You then look at all three (and preferably at a paper map) and then you ask your six mates what they think, observing that there are just about only so many limited number of ways to go 300 odd miles from Calais, to Clervaux, to Adenau, unless that is you have been told that you really shouldn’t miss the ‘Must do’ viaduct at Millau. 300 miles, avoiding motorways, that is what you would have asked some fellow on UKGSer for, to create YOUR holiday. For that fellow to do it even vaguely properly (and probably satisfy the things to do, places to stay (biker friendly) things to see and cafes for brew demand) would take them some time. That assumes there is even time to gawp at things along the way, if they are to go 300 miles down D roads in a day, starting at half eleven and finishing around three thirty.

Then you might look at the routes that the three pieces of software spat out, seeing that the first stretch from Calais to roughly Mons / Charleroi is pretty congested and full of motorways. You can see the A25 / A23 motorway, running near enough parallel to the magenta suggested line of the Michelin route. You’d maybe ditch your self-inflicted ‘No motorways, they’re feckin’ dull’ persona and do the sensible thing to jump on them. Why? The locals spent billions of pounds building them for a reason. Without them it’s maybe a grind. Use them or maybe grind; it’s your choice. If it’s two hours quicker, you’ll be into the Ardennes and Eifel two hours earlier, not forgetting you have 300 miles to do, in a day.

.....and BINGO! you have created your own holiday, doing exactly what you want to do. All this without moving from your chair. You’ll not be doing much for the next couple of months or so, so why not give it a go? The internet, UKGSer and software really has made it that easy; there is nowhere you can’t go, using the same simple methods. Remember that when you ask for 900 miles, avoiding motorways, from Calais to the Mediterranean.

PS The really lazy or unimaginative could maybe just take the Google map route and (with a bit of some software or other) get it into MyRoute and straight into their GPS device. They could do the same from Kurviger. Android users could just fire up Kurviger and use their phone, ‘cos Garmin is shite and a feckin’ rip-off.

I hope this thread has given bods some ideas on roads to possibly ride in the area. Who knows, you may even bump into Micky. If you do, buy him a bier on me, please. After all, I have pee’ed him off * revealing the secrets. Not least, I hope (with a bit of tongue-in-cheek teasing) shown how easy it is to find and then create your own holidays, without too much grief.

Richard

* I know I haven’t really. I know he’d gladly tell bods his own idea and suggestions, just as he does for wanders with the dawg into Jockland and the islands. The thread title just amused me; who knows it will maybe spark a bit of “I wonder what that’s about” curiosity, perhaps? If so, job done and nobody died.

PS Next the Harz, that’ll send the old boy over the edge! :banghead::forry:bash:firemth:wife:spitfire:comfort:beerjug::beer:

"Don't tell 'em Pike"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kYz2nPE0BCk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D :thumby:

:beerjug:

There's so much to see and do in the Eifel, Ardennes, Luxembourg ... whether you have a long weekend there or a couple of weeks. Crackin roads, beautiful old towns, museums, castles, friendly folk :)

Thanks you Richard :thumby:

I think just about every hotel is motorcycle friendly, so you just simply can't go wrong. One of 'our group' likes every nights hotel pre booking but I prefer to book a hotel, have a couple of nights, and move on. The power of the internet, while having a bier you decide to have another couple of nights, what's the weather doing, find somewhere new for tomorrow night ... that's the beauty of mobile 'phones, lap tops and GPS :thumby:

Just busting a gut to get out there and go pottering around the Eifel/Ardennes :D

There's so much to see and do in the Eifel, Ardennes, Luxembourg ... whether you have a long weekend there or a couple of weeks. Crackin roads, beautiful old towns, museums, castles, friendly folk :)

Thanks you Richard :thumby:

I think just about every hotel is motorcycle friendly, so you just simply can't go wrong. One of 'our group' likes every nights hotel pre booking but I prefer to book a hotel, have a couple of nights, and move on. The power of the internet, while having a bier you decide to have another couple of nights, what's the weather doing, find somewhere new for tomorrow night ... that's the beauty of mobile 'phones, lap tops and GPS :thumby:

Just busting a gut to get out there and go pottering around the Eifel/Ardennes :D

Agreed
Great area to ride in
Best hotels are the ones ‘stumbled’ on and not ones pre booked
There are some gems out there

Agreed
Great area to ride in
Best hotels are the ones ‘stumbled’ on and not ones pre booked
There are some gems out there

Assuming you don’t stumble on them just after breakfast, when you have a day’s hooning ahead of you.

Assuming you don’t stumble on them just after breakfast, when you have a day’s hooning ahead of you.

You can bookmark them at any time during the day

After pain au chocolate
After potage
After patisserie

Lock them in the memory bank

You can bookmark them at any time during the day

After pain au chocolate
After potage
After patisserie

Lock them in the memory bank

Oh, I see what you mean.

I mark them on the go on my gps. Good cafes, too.

It’s the equivalent of using a mobile phone on the go.... but that’s allowed. As is speeding and not obeying any rules that you don’t like.

Just thought of this for a visit, if anyone is in this part of Germany, its only a tiny place but the exhibits are fantastic

http://www.rosengart-museum.de

Friedensstraße, 50181 Bedburg, Germany

I have friends who live in Bedburg and go out normally at least 2 or 3 times a year, I have been to the museum several times and still enjoy it,

Wrapping, keep these things coming I need to borrow a few arms for all these routes the list is that long..
Thanks for all the work you put into them!!

Back
Top Bottom