10 nice Dolomites / South Tyrol jaunts

Wapping

Reaction score
Easy to download routes and / or clear maps to copy, courtesy of Kurvenkoenig..... and a biker friendly hotel.

What more can you ask for? Instant holidays, at the touch of a keyboard and click of a mouse.

https://kurvenkoenig.de/motorrad/suedtirol-dolomiten.html

59f03ba641981a61bcc7aa503fbdc09d.png

001a8c22608fa0f62bdbc0d5c39f89ec.png

If nothing else, you can titter at the wonderfully dubious free translations....

d0879336c3ee18e14fdb11b6bf24dedc.png

It’s only fair to put a link to the biker friendly hotel, too....

https://www.nigglhof.it/en/

4686f68ebe9fe573fb09881ba38c3bd1.png

Last edited:
Some great routes there.

The Day 10 one is a goody with the Timmelsjoch and Jaufenpass.
I did that in 2016.Stayed in Obergurgl then rode over the two passes named above and went to Innsbruck to collect g/f who had flown in, then back to Vipiteno for the night.
It’s a great place.It’s in Italy but used to be Austrian so they still mainly speak German and the food is far more Austrian than Italian.

d4aa204253e027d3679c1a143fe61b8b.jpg

“VIPITENO IS ONE of the most attractive towns in the region trapped in the ‘wrong’ country, i.e. South Tyrol (or, as the Italians call it, Alto Adige). This region has a complex and moving history. In 1918 South Tyrol was annexed by Italy, drawing a frontier along the Brenner Pass. Like a scythe this cut violently through an area of collective culture and nationality. There were protests, but to no avail. Although for a few years the new Italian nationality of this German-speaking population was not evidentially enforced, the rise of Fascism was about to plunge their South Tyrolean identity into chaos.

With Benito Mussolini in power, South Tyrol/Alto Adige was subject to ‘Italianisation’ by force. German schools were closed and Italian superseded German as the official language in public offices. For the next 60 years this region would be subject to continual identity flux, including a choice for inhabitants to emigrate to Germany in 1939 or remain as true Italian citizens, being annexed to Nazi Germany in 1943, and then returning to Italian hands after the war. This crisis culminated in the late 1960s with the South Tyrolean Liberation Committee committing fatal acts of terrorism in protest against the lack of autonomy in the region’s government.

In the late 1960s an agreement was reached for greater self-government of the South Tyrol province, and it has since grown into one of the wealthiest and highest rated places to live in Italy. “

Thank you.

I was just having a count up. One way or another, I think I have ridden most (maybe all?) of them. It’s my favourite end of the alpine ridge.

No less than 14 suggestions for the South Tyrol, available from Tourenfahrer magazine’s website.

See the sticky on how to go about using the website or just tap about in it. It is that easy. Then use the maps or spend a few euro downloading the GPX files. Basically, tapping on a Ribena coloured lozenge thing, opens up one route. Tapping on a green blob, with a number on it (say, 2) will open up two routes.

8148e631c00bee6bfbfdc8dbffda5886.png

And what’s more.....

16 for the Dolomites....

f5a18f6a7e0c8468ca028931264776c0.png

Thanks for this. Definitely on my list. I ski in the Val Di Fassa a couple of times a year, most years anyway!!!!

Dolomites are awesome, worth getting there sooner rather than later as they are starting to close roads to Motorcycles and it won't get any better over time!

Dolomites are awesome, worth getting there sooner rather than later as they are starting to close roads to Motorcycles and it won't get any better over time!

Agreed, it's already happened in Austria, but I can sympathise with the locals - they do get some absolute nutters out to play in the Dolomiti, particularly at weekends.

Blind overtakes are de rigueur with some groups, biker style Russian roulette.

Still, it would be nice if trucks, diggers, buses & coaches were banned on certain days too, just to even things up.

Agreed, it's already happened in Austria, but I can sympathise with the locals - they do get some absolute nutters out to play in the Dolomiti, particularly at weekends.

Blind overtakes are de rigueur with some groups, biker style Russian roulette.

Yes, "We" are our own worst enemy, the public only hear the noisy bastards, if it was not for the dickheads with illegal exhausts and a firm belief everyone else on the planet loved to hear them and gazed in wonder at their skill in making more noise than a Eurofighter we may not have this problem.

It does not help that some of these folk also love to launch themselves into the scenery, I know accidents can happen and my enthusiasm has come close to overcoming my talent in very scary ways a few times over the years, but some riders just appear to be an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

I wish they would just crush some of these really loud bikes, word would soon get out and the problem solved without ruining it for the other 95%.

Yes, "We" are our own worst enemy.....

I’ve been guilty of making noise, for noise’s sake, copping myself a specific fine in Austria maybe six years ago on an otherwise excellent F800R of all things. Since then I’ve stopped the habit, leaving my bikes entirely standard. I enjoy it just as much, whilst drawing less attention to myself * may mean I might avoid a speeding ticket or two. Anyway, just how much noise is a 1600 meant to make?

* Travelling under the radar, as Giles put it.

Back
Top Bottom