Wi-Fi keeps fropping

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
My Wi Fi keeps turning off (on my laptop). I originally thought it was the router so I changed that today, it is still dropping. I have tried a few things, like disabling the turn off wifi to save power, also tried unsuccessfully to update the driver. It is a PITA any one any ideas where to try and fix it.

Two laptops and two phones in the house, three are working fine, just my 9 year old I7 laptop playing up, admittedly the first problem in 9 years... Oh apart from the Blu Ray player has not worked since the windows 10 update a good while back.

Cheers

My daughters Apple Mac did the same and there were lots of online stories do similar. Repair via Apple was extortionate. We bought a cheap wifi dongle to test and it worked confirming it was the wifi module inside the laptop that was faulty.
Might be worth trying a cheap plug-in wifi dongle

My daughters Apple Mac did the same and there were lots of online stories do similar. Repair via Apple was extortionate. We bought a cheap wifi dongle to test and it worked confirming it was the wifi module inside the laptop that was faulty.
Might be worth trying a cheap plug-in wifi dongle

Good idea, thanks

My Wi Fi keeps turning off (on my laptop). I originally thought it was the router so I changed that today, it is still dropping. I have tried a few things, like disabling the turn off wifi to save power, also tried unsuccessfully to update the driver. It is a PITA any one any ideas where to try and fix it.

Two laptops and two phones in the house, three are working fine, just my 9 year old I7 laptop playing up, admittedly the first problem in 9 years... Oh apart from the Blu Ray player has not worked since the windows 10 update a good while back.

Cheers

This happened to my daughters laptop, the power saving settings had changed during an update, I changed them to always on etc and not had a problem since.

This happened to my daughters laptop, the power saving settings had changed during an update, I changed them to always on etc and not had a problem since.

Tried that, did not help, but thanks.

Just did a 52KM spin on my bike, to the local shop, he did not have one in stock... USB Wifi I mean. Was nice to go out of my 5K though. You cant beat a spin to help the old brain. Push Bike I mean :aidan

Tried that, did not help, but thanks.

Just did a 52KM spin on my bike, to the local shop, he did not have one in stock... USB Wifi I mean. Was nice to go out of my 5K though. You cant beat a spin to help the old brain. Push Bike I mean :aidan

Well, WiFi USB gadget turned up in the post failed to work. I have been investigating and maybe it is a Microsoft Driver error, I have uploaded an old Qualcom driver but still not right.

The saga continues.

In the mean time, I now have a new router and upgraded internet to 75mbs, and I live on the edge of the world, so that's pretty good...

Interference on your network from other sources? Maybe in your house, or neighbours if they are close?

You could install some form of wifi sniffer tool and do some analysis on signal strengths on the different channels available and then set the wifi to a channel that shows good signal to noise ratio.

If you have really close neighbours and there are a lot of devices all trying to connect on the same (out of the box) frequency bands (even though the networks are different) you might be seeing problems. Modern kit should do this by itself, but doesn't always.

Also, do you have any other RF devices close to your router?

So a bit more time, it is almost certainly a Windows 10 driver problem, comes up easily with a Search, but the correct driver for roll back is not so evident. I have plugged my phone in and use it as a connection to my router, all works fine no dropping out. So I will just have to pick up a new USB WIfi adaptor as the two I have already tried were not specifically windows 10 compatible...

So....A good while later. I bought a wifi adaptor, in fact I bought two and received a third. 1, refused to work at all. 2. Worked but only at 5mbits 3. Worked at 10mbits was advertised at 300. Anyway, I was going to keep it as 10 would have been OK even though my WiFi is a fair bit faster, but after 5 minutes it turned itself off too.
I continued to use my mobile phone plugged in and it worked fine.
I searched more solutions and a combination of the suggestions here and others found on the internet all combined, seems to have it fixed. I touch wood, as so far today it has not dropped out once...
Original wifi adaptor, windows 10 and its most recent driver and a selection of little changes through the control panel to deal with the wifi adaptor and USB controls.

I blame Bill Gates of course.

Back
Top Bottom