Inspiration Required - Netherlands & Harz Mountains

If ww2 and the likes are what you are into, you could visit Dora mittelbau (google it) or Buchenwald.

if your going to Rinteln and to be fair there is not much to see the BMH is long gone, you might as well visit Hamelin, now that is a nice town to visit, was there 18 months ago, Hoek to Rinteln is a days ride and and easy day, Hoek-Utrecht-Apeldoorn-Hengelo-Osnabrucke-Bad O-Rinteln, my bike could have done that on auto pilot back when I lived in Herford. But thats all you will do is travell if you want to hit it in a day. Rember that Rinteln is not far from Wolfsburg and the Autostadt now I know its not bikes but it is worth a look.

if your going to Rinteln and to be fair there is not much to see the BMH is long gone, you might as well visit Hamelin, now that is a nice town to visit, was there 18 months ago, Hoek to Rinteln is a days ride and and easy day, Hoek-Utrecht-Apeldoorn-Hengelo-Osnabrucke-Bad O-Rinteln, my bike could have done that on auto pilot back when I lived in Herford. But thats all you will do is travell if you want to hit it in a day. Rember that Rinteln is not far from Wolfsburg and the Autostadt now I know its not bikes but it is worth a look.

Yeah the BMH has gone (it’s now a hospital for the mentally ill I think). I’ve been before, but the missus just wants to see where I was born. Just to throw a curveball in, my Grandad was actually a German Navy Officer back in the 40s! Our visit to Rinteln will be a flyer, and we’ll likely stop in Hamelin just like you said.

I travel the Harz very other year or so, booked later on this year ,if allowed

We try to stay In Goslar, great little village day and night, also quite central for the roads and area. We go direct from Rotterdam, using Motorways for 75pc of the way. gets us away from the port quickly . On the way back we stop in the mosel for a couple nights.

Travelling in europe is quiter on a Sunday as they dont allow the HGVs out to play ! so we catch the Saturday Hull ferry to arrive Rotterdam on sunday at 830am, then go for it!

You will love the Harz,the roads are great,lots of war history. Berlin and colditz are closely, but it depends on the length of time you are staying obviously .

When I lived in Assen we would often go to Osnabrück and Hameln over a weekend and would also pass ghat way en-route to the Hartz. I second Bowser’s recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom