2021 bmw 1250 Gs adventure rear light problem

PetesBMW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a new 1250 adv with the new light arrangement , When the Brake lights are on You cant see the turn signal , anybody else notice this

Regards

Pete

Welcome to the forum -

I cant see my turn signals when my brake lights are on -

I'm looking at the road ahead ;) :)

I know spotlamps and Driving lamps can be dimmed / pulsed in sync with indicators so they can be better seen

Sounds odd, I'd give your dealer a call tomorrow , JIC

Exact same problem with the more modern VW Passat (with round lens). Nobody seemed very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a case of can't see because brake light is too bright or is turn getting cancelled? Well wear on the new bike.:aidan

I haven't got a proper handle on how the rear lights and indicators work now, but I assume you have the new upgraded ones? If you scroll through to 7mins 30secs on this video is this the same light setup that you have? Most people on here will probably not be familiar with the latest changes so it could be a question for the dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExjQSVfz8Ik&pbjreload=101

There the indicators that were fitted to the MY20 1000XR

I had similar fitted to my hexhead, a combined stop & indicator but not as skinny as this

Not sure if these can be retro fitted to a std GS or GSA

Thank you for your reply ,yes you are correct it just like the vw Passat ,a car lights are much further apart , the gs light is only about 50 mm wide and 40 mm high a design disaster

Pete

Yes I think they are on the 1000 as well ,thing just got worse today the drive shaft spines rang off bike has only 294kms on it

Pete

Same problem on my mates bike, also the rear light comes on when you first start the bike and then goes off, it's a real danger and needs addressing urgently.

Same problem on my mates bike, also the rear light comes on when you first start the bike and then goes off, it's a real danger and needs addressing urgently.

I'll be gentle, why is it a real danger?

I drive my car down the road, and i have no lights showing to the rear, likewise some of my bikes are the same .

You are only required to display a light to the rear as a stop lamp or a light as in a tail lamp when the ambient lighting drops below a set level (lighting up time)

If both those conditions can be met, there is no danger

Having the rear indicators as rear running lights is cool :thumb

Having the brake light separate and in the centre of the rear running lights is safe (very easy to see/notice) and cool :thumb

Having the rear indicators inside the rear running lights - hmmm - not so cool, however, they are much better than the mentioned VW lights as the Beemer's are LED - but still not cool :confused:

Having the rear indicators as rear running lights is cool :thumb

Having the brake light separate and in the centre of the rear running lights is safe (very easy to see/notice) and cool :thumb

Having the rear indicators inside the rear running lights - hmmm - not so cool, however, they are much better than the mentioned VW lights as the Beemer's are LED - but still not cool :confused:

Might not be cool, but if they meet legal requirements .... end of.

I'll be gentle, why is it a real danger?

I drive my car down the road, and i have no lights showing to the rear, likewise some of my bikes are the same .

You are only required to display a light to the rear as a stop lamp or a light as in a tail lamp when the ambient lighting drops below a set level (lighting up time)

If both those conditions can be met, there is no danger

It's same with the indicators. If you that much of a shit rider who doesn't signal well in advance of braking then you need to think your skills.

Of course it's same problem on modern cars with small blinkers tightly integrated into the cluster, only that the fact that drivers tend to brake then indicate or indicate for 2 secs before braking doesn't matter so much, as (a) they are caged and (b) the car following can stop more quickly than a bike.

But if your roadcraft is at least half decent this is all a fuss about nowt.

Pete, just been looking at your thread as I am intending to buy a new GSA, I also have noticed the problem on by friends GS, brake lights on and indicators disappear dammed dangerous in my opinion.
Have you been able to resolve discuss the problem with the dealer, when I asked I was told no point I won't get a response from BMW! Fek do I feel like spending £21K with them?

Steve M

Back
Top Bottom