790 Adv throttle response issue

R800

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

just purchased a new 790 Adv that the dealer was selling off at a good price.

doing the run In at the moment trying to avoid the ice...

I’m struggling with the throttle response though. I recall on my 1090 a few years ago that I felt the only difference between road and rain was that it took longer for the drive to come when turning the throttle. I didn’t find it any good and always left it in road or sport.

now on the 790, I found that I had to turn that throttle a little more to get the drive, and when compared with rain mode, road feels exactly the same. I don’t like it.

could there be some issue that the throttle response stays on the rain setting even in road?
Or could it be that while the bike is being run in that the throttle response is supposed to be softened?

im getting onto the dealer tomorrow but I’m not too confident that they will have a solution.
I definitely think there is an issue...

any advice greatly appreciated

It may be due to running in as its limited to 6000 rpm.

I don't remember any problems with mine but it was in the summer months.

You have some courage - this time of year ..... good luck. :thumb2

Thanks wilbjr, but my regular 4 wheeled commuter has let me down at the worst possible time so I’m left with no choice...

The revs flash at 6500 alright but revs away after this should I want to. But the more I ride the more I’m convinced somethings not right.

I got in to the dealer but they don’t know, they’ll run a check in first service so I’m left confused still :blast

Could it be that it has 30% less capacity than the 1090 and is a higher revving machine with the power stacked higher up the rev range?

Would not be surprised if something is different before 1st service apart from the shift warning light, but KTM probably don't / wont say anything on the subject.

See how it feels when you can use the full rev range after 1st service, or ask if the dealer has another bike you can have a quick ride on to quell your fears, I am sure you owuld rather know they are all like that and that you should have tested it before you bought it, than always feel you have a dudd.

I would be loathed to buy anything without a test ride first, especially a new bike, I bought my CB500X commuter without riding one, but it was a cheap 2nd hand runaround, not soemthing I would lose £1500 on as I rode away from the forecourt.

The thought of comparing crossed my mind, not sure if they have any demo left... but it would definitely be worth trying.

This is the fourth bike iv had since the 1090, the last 2 were Africa twins with similar power but more torque down low. Iv changed a lot over the last 18 months.
Hopefully it is just a matter of getting used to it but I’m not happy with it at present.

It may be due to running in as its limited to 6000 rpm.

I don't remember any problems with mine but it was in the summer months.

You have some courage - this time of year ..... good luck. :thumb2
The bike isn't limited at 6000rpm
Under break in

It is a recommendation not to go over 6000rpm
But you can actually go over because there isn't a limiter.

The only thing that wil happen is that your rev counter will flash.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

This is the fourth bike iv had since the 1090, the last 2 were Africa twins with similar power but more torque down low.

So te Africa twin puts out the same power from a 30% larger engine, stands to reason it will have more low down grunt, and that to get the same pwoer from a much smaller engine it will need a lot more revs.

If you want grunt then get a 1290, it will make the low down power of the AT feel like a moped ;-)

So te Africa twin puts out the same power from a 30% larger engine, stands to reason it will have more low down grunt, and that to get the same pwoer from a much smaller engine it will need a lot more revs.

If you want grunt then get a 1290, it will make the low down power of the AT feel like a moped ;-)

I’m not talking about capacity, grunt or torque.... I’m saying, when the throttle turns, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on revs until it’s turned about 5% open. It feels like a very simplistic rain mode similar to what I found on the 1090.

I feel there may be some electronic issue with the ride by wire.

I didn’t think there was a cable is there?

Just a tiny amount of free play, it feels normal...

I have the service booked for Monday next week so will try compare then

Sorted... brought it for its first service and the service manager took it out and said it felt funny to him too. There seemed to be a delay and it was impossible to drive at slow speed.

They plugged it in and reset the learned values in the ecu for fuelling, it completely removed any delay/snatchiness...

He said it could have been that the bike was only ever run on the bench a few times and resetting the values removed it.

I don’t care what they did but it drives 10 times better. Very happy!

Sorted... brought it for its first service and the service manager took it out and said it felt funny to him too. There seemed to be a delay and it was impossible to drive at slow speed.

They plugged it in and reset the learned values in the ecu for fuelling, it completely removed any delay/snatchiness...

He said it could have been that the bike was only ever run on the bench a few times and resetting the values removed it.

I don’t care what they did but it drives 10 times better. Very happy!

There are those on here who have paid someone £350 to do this....

Back
Top Bottom