Newbie to BMW

Andy434

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the site and BMW. I made the fatel mistake of enquiring about the new r1250rt at my local BMW motorrad dealer and ended up placing a deposit on a new 2021 pre built 1250 rt le in the elegance colour. It comes with SOS and spot lights. As it is a pre built machine I got £750 knocked off the list price (checked this on the configurator to confirm). Although I have done my research including posts on this site I have never ridden an rt (current ride is Yamaha GT09) so the dealer has promised an early ride on their demo bike and if I change my mind after the demo ride he will refund the deposit which he has confirmed in writing so can't argue with that. My questions are do you think I got a good deal? no part ex or finance required. How difficult are they to move around under your own steam? I am medium build and no body builder. Having only a 29 inch inside leg will I be able to flat foot with standard seat height? Do you recommend a bmw top box or cheaper after market givi or equivalent? Would you also consider the 3 year servicing package or pay as you go? Sorry for the length of post but thought I would get everything in in one go. Any other advice welcome

If you can't flat foot it to your satisfaction ask the dealer to swop it for a low seat (or ask for your deposit back).

I think you got a good deal.

My 1250 is a helluva sight heavier to move around than my MT-09 , no comparison. However I am sufficiently motivated to do it :okay. You might want to think about cylinder head protectors or crash-bars. Buy whatever the dealer would like to fit before delivery. Forget the brochure figure, a fully-loaded (ESA + radio equipment) and fully-fuelled RT was on the weighbridge at 289kg (without topbox)

BMW top boxes are of extremely high quality and will sell for good money on here or eBay if your next bike is not an RT. You might think of the cost as being only £200-£300 over your ownership of the bike.

If you think £1100 for a colour-coded, electric top-box is completely insane, then RT boxes from 2005 onwards will fit or re-use a Givi box. I'm a tight bastard so I had my original 2005 top-box resprayed for £70. to add to the tightness because I bought a white bike - too mean to pay for a colour, although the blue is very tempting (I've had 2 black ones already). I think that what car and bike manufacturers charge for so-called non-standard colours is outrageous.

I chose the pay-as-you-go option for servicing.

Hope this helps....

Thank you for taking the time to respond will certainly go for some protection never dropped a bike yet but never had anything the size or weight of a rt either

Food for thought!
I was looking at buying an 2021 RT1250, came very very close to purchase. The dealer also had a November 2020, 70plate RT LE with 64 miles on the clock, with top box and all the extras(no audio) for close on nearly £3500 less than the 2021 I looked at. I also part exchanged a bike for the RT.
As you do not have a part ex, you will be able to negotiate an even better deal.

There are plenty of quality RT’s for sale on Autotrader.

Compared to my previous bike, an r1250 Adventure, the RT is a joy to manoeuvre around, the only negative is that the extended stand is hidden by the left cylinder head.
I have also fitted crash bars

Thanks for the replies will pay and activate my PM. Thought about a nearly new option and I can see that this makes financial sense when you offset the changes to the new model against the savings but thought if I am spending thousands on a bike then I want the latest version. Although I accept this is an easy route to bankruptcy!!

Back
Top Bottom