What brought you to Moto Guzzi?

" Guzzi's pick you, not the other way around "

Nice one Ash. Spot on and a great story.

:beerjug:

I just looked that up about Mick Walker because I used to get Ducati singles parts from him and his brother. He wasn't Chis Walker's dad. Chris Walker the Stalker is from Nottingham and his dad is John.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I got my Gs 1000s from Walkers at Langley mill when Chris was still in short trousers and a snotty nose running round the shop;:D
I first rode an S3 Guzzi of my mates in the late 70s; and loved it; but as some have said; i could'nt get past the perceived unreliability issues and stayed with jap stuff. I cut my teeth on BSA; Triumph; and Norton; so the reliability issues were deeply engrained so to speak ; also the bike being my only transport did'nt help.

Nooooooo way!

WBM's were always 'pipe and slippers', the 'gentleman's express'. Essentially uncool, efficient German tools. The bikes our dad's rode. No self respecting biker under the age of 50 that had a modicum of self respect lusted after a BWM............

... Guzzis (and other Italian makes) were/are the epitome of cool. What self respecting 20 year old gave a stuff about shaft drive and torque? We just wanted to tear around on an exotic Italian bike and shag the hordes of women we were gonna pick up riding one :)

Andres
An attitude that was certainly true in the 1970s/80s. Born in 1960 and there's NO WAY I would have been seen dead on a BMW in my 20's or even 30's.
Attitudes mellow of course but I was nearly 40 before I considered a Beemer - and even then it was only the airhead GS that floated my boat (a type of bike which is, apparently, "ein ganz anderes para Schuhe").
Ten years back, aged exactly 50, I succumbed and bought a r75/6 as a runaround/tourer (the GS having gone in an intervening divorce).
Still got the r75 but it certainly doesn't provoke the same lust in me as some Guzzis (and especially Ducatis) of the same era do. I can't think of a road going BMW that does although the r90s is close

I blame Triumph for my Guzzi addiction!

I went to test ride a 1215 Tiger but it was still out on a demo so they offered me a ride on a Bonny while I waited. I had so much fun on it that afterwards we decided to get a naked bike for a sunny Sunday rides...and keep the tourer for the longer trips.

We tried a few but in the end settled for a 2009 V7 classic. Since then we have had a 2006 Breva 1100, a mk2 Cali 1000 and an 1100 Quota. We now have a 1979 V50 mk 2...which is definitely a keeper.

Two instances....

September 1980. Very early one morning riding two up on my BMW along the coast road in Northern Spain, a bit foggy and misty. Suddenly while on a long sweeping bend with pine trees on my left and the sea on my right about 100 feet below, three Spanish Guzzis blatted past, very close, all loud, deep bellowing and throbbing, the noise was tangible. They stuck out their legs in acknowledgment and then they were gone. One of those "did that really happen" moments.

Bol'd'Or 1986. Saturday night, my turn to get the rations (cases of beer and a few crusty french pains :D) in the supermarket at Le Castellet.
I was riding my Laverda Jota, with a piece of ply wood and assorted bungees on the back to carry the rations.
Left the circuit in a bit of hurry, came up behind a few Italian bikes as we rode along the small roads. Suddenly they noticed me behind and the rear rider waved me to join them.... that was it, off we went, absolutely hooning along the small bumpy roads, i noticed they were all riding Guzzis.
As we belted along dropping down the gears, around another tight bend then accelerating as hard as you dared, up and down the hilly roads the noise was intoxicating. What was pretty impressive in the dark was the flames, sparks, cracks and reverberation out of the exhausts of the Guzzis as they changed down for a tight bend.
I missed the turn off for the supermarket and must have carried on for a further 10 miles, before calling it a day and turning back. I slapped hands with two of the riders as i peeled off, they were both laughing...
One of the most memorable rides i ever had on the Jota.

So i finally ended up with a Guzzi years later. A flame spitting noisy beast.... No, a sedate California Mk1 :D ... and i have ridden it along the very same road in Northern Spain that i first thought about owning a Guzzi.

New bike isn't here yet but mudguard delivered today, fender extender due before the weekend. Dealer reckons bike should be here next week :thumb2

Attachments

• Mudguard.jpg
    Mudguard.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 233
Think that is the very same on the bike i have just purchased. Havent ridden yet as bad gout since last week but hope for a spin soon, latest Monday when it goes in for the annual service that was overdue (time not mileage)

Think that is the very same on the bike i have just purchased. Havent ridden yet as bad gout since last week but hope for a spin soon, latest Monday when it goes in for the annual service that was overdue (time not mileage)

Genuine Aprillia part for Caponord 1200 Rally, cost just £50.53 delivered (DPD), Fender Extender (Pyramid) was £22.95 posted.....bloody bargain :D

Enjoy your new bike :thumb2

My V85TT arrived yesterday, busy farkling it up. Have to say the quality of finish is easily as good if not better than the GSA LC I sold last year. Can't wait to ride it, but it won't be a suprise as I took 2 test rides over about 250 miles and borrowed one for a weekend in Scotland last year so I have confidence we will gel together.

Here she is. Will have to think of another name for her as was going for the tri-colour but when I saw this one I thought Wow ! The paint quality on the tank is fantastic.

Attachments

• E85D8007-2616-4BB4-83D0-E32F4C838F99.jpg
    E85D8007-2616-4BB4-83D0-E32F4C838F99.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 406
Lovely bike, just like mine ;-) Looking forward to riding mine! Annual service Monday which is my first run out on it!

Lovely colour and enjoy......loving mine. Back to more basic but loving it more and more. You need to farckle it

There is a battery charger connection already under the seat. Oxford oximiser connects and just but one for £27

Attachments

• 797E5430-B0C1-4B99-A2AD-EAA0746AE8FD.jpg
    797E5430-B0C1-4B99-A2AD-EAA0746AE8FD.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 365

Back
Top Bottom