Killer puncture repair.

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fort Nine has just dropped this comparison puncture repair video for your delight. Interesting outcome with mushroom plugs.

:thumb2

I confess to using stop 'n go, which lives under my seat with a compressor. But I do concede that it hasn't always worked .... :thumb2

I fell out with mushrooms several years ago. Didn't always work

Now use sticky string (Crafty Plugger) which has never failed to repair, including a mate who had a mahoosive hole from a sharp piece of gravel. Took 4 strings to seal, but held.

Similar to the rope repair featured in the link, but comes ready glued, with a sticky tarry glue

C$70 seems expensive for a Stop ‘n Go kit - mind you, Canadian taxes are eye watering

I’m not sure he read the instructions properly and may have trimmed the stem at the same time as pulling the mushroom head tight

Who would not carry a suitable tool for grabbing the stem and a tyre inflation kit when touring?

As for the chances of riding over an object placed and sized to push the plug in against 40psi ... :nenau

"20 bucks at any gas station".
Not at most service stations in England. :blast

I've been using the bacon strips (or the smaller round ones provided with BMW bikes) since I've been riding. Never had an issue. Same story on the car. I fixed one of the tyres on my car about 10k miles ago. Still there.
I once had a front flat tyre on my bike and I didn't have the strips with me. I was conveniently parked in a service station on the A3 near Guilford when I noticed the leak... long story short I had to call AA. I would have been able to shop for xmas dinner in the service station, but nothing to fix a bloody tyre. :blast

I carry both stop’n go plugs and rats tails on the bike - successfully used on my own and mates bikes when out and about. Carry a Slime compressor to pump up after. I’ve found the plugs to be really good when the hole is nail sized and has gone in straight but when it’s an irregular hole or slit, the rats tails are better.

Only once had a puncture out on a ride where I had to fall back on a repair kit. I had "inherited"an old bmw kit with a bike a while back, like this one

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08-on/nippy-normans-tip-top-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit

It worked well, and as it was a fairly new rear tyre, after riding for a 100 miles or so without issues, I ended up leaving the tyre as is until it wore out. I checked the repair when this tyre was taken off and internally it was solid, ( a bit like a mushroom shaped lump on the inside), so I would be happy to do the same again if need be.A pal had an awkwardly paced puncture on his bike and the "rat tail" version just didnt seem to seal it well at all...

Attachments

• Tyre repair inside view.JPG
    Tyre repair inside view.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 426
Me being the unluckiest person in the world with reference to punctures, (had as many as 4 and 2 tyres on one trip due to punctures) i can confirm the only type of repair kit i have used that has actually worked, and i have tried all the temp repair ones, would be the rats tails.

Any mushrooms whether they be temporary or especially the permanent ones should only be trimmed off once the tyre is fully inflated.

On the temporary mushrooms if you gently pull on the exposed tail with pliers as it inflates it will seat better, you can also coat the plug and hole in the tyre with a bit of tyre cement when you fit it and it will not move

I've used stop n go for years without any problems. I did think his test was a little flawed as I'd have thought that when the tyre was inflated the chances of pushing the mushroom plug back into the tyre would be greatly reduced.

I've used stop n go for years without any problems. I did think his test was a little flawed as I'd have thought that when the tyre was inflated the chances of pushing the mushroom plug back into the tyre would be greatly reduced.

I agree, he also over reamed the hole, I generally only do a minimum "clean" the hole and it usually tales a bit of effort to insert the tool. Never had any issues with the Stop 'n Go repairs, lasting to the tyre replacement

Yes that's me too.
Used them in my vans and cars as well as bikes for 20 years. Have left them in until replacement of tyre. Even managed to squeeze two in to a torn hole on a Pilot Road 3 - typically in the rain at 2am hiding under a flyover on the M4! A bit of an effort and required topping up every fifty miles but it got me down to the ferry in time.

Me being the unluckiest person in the world with reference to punctures, (had as many as 4 and 2 tyres on one trip due to punctures) i can confirm the only type of repair kit i have used that has actually worked, and i have tried all the temp repair ones, would be the rats tails.

I had 6 punctures in 2019, the first two attempted repairs were with my Stop 'N' Go, both failed. Both of these were successfully repaired with sticky strings, as were the last four.

Sticky strings every time for me - never had one fail.

I tried Stop & Go, followed the instructions precisely, especially the bit where you used pliers to pull x mm out of the tyre to seat the plug, the repair seemed to hold monitored it for two hours, no drop in pressure, took the bike for short spin to warm the tyre and check it was still OK, and it was leaking. on checking the plug the stem had receeded into the tyre. When tyre removed I retrieved the mushroom, only to find 2mm of of stem had been holding it in the hole. I would try them again, but not pull with pliers as much as the instructions say.

I tried Stop & Go, followed the instructions precisely, especially the bit where you used pliers to pull x mm out of the tyre to seat the plug, the repair seemed to hold monitored it for two hours, no drop in pressure, took the bike for short spin to warm the tyre and check it was still OK, and it was leaking. on checking the plug the stem had receeded into the tyre. When tyre removed I retrieved the mushroom, only to find 2mm of of stem had been holding it in the hole. I would try them again, but not pull with pliers as much as the instructions say.

Pull all you want but release the stem before trimming ...

It took a few attempts to get the insertion tool to work. Every time I fully screwed the insertion tool to insert the plug, when I removed the tool, the plug came out with it.

I then tried using the tool without inserting it in the tyre, when tightened it wasn't pushing the plug out far enough. I ended up putting it in a vice and then tightening it down, eventually the mushroom popped out. Once I'd done this the mushroom popped out each time. I suspect the threads in the tool hadn't been cut properly.

Once I'd got it to wind in fully once, it worked every time. However, as I mentioned in my earlier post the repair didn't work.

I still have the kit, but would use it as a last resort, my first choice would be to use strings on the two occasions I've used then they worked fine.

I tried strings, and the turquoise hoops in the BMW kit - I couldn't get them into the puncture hole properly. Bought a Stop n Go kit and have never used anything else since on bikes or cars. Front of the 1150GS had one in for over 10,000 miles. I got a puncture in the rear and plugged it, that plug was good for about 10,000 miles too, but then started leaking, I just put a new plug into the same hole and let the old plug rattle about in the tyre. Saw the tyre out to 13,500 miles.
Old Mondeo estate of my nephew's, puncture in rear tyre - plugged it for him without even taking the wheel off the car or using a jack.... he drove around with that plug in for a year. If you put them in properly they are very good, probably not infallible and not for hooners and young thrusters, but for sensible motoring they work perfectly.

I have used the stop and go many times, not reaming the hole any more than necessary to force the spear tube in helps,
there is usually enough to get hold of once it has pulled through the tube to give it a stretch and seat, only cutting off flush after letting go,
the split rubber tip top kit is a bit more versatile for cuts, the glue has a shelf life and rubbers go hard over and split on insertion ,
both have done big miles after fitting on occasions,
only used sticky strings once without issue,

Back
Top Bottom