R25/3 Finally, wheels on their way...

Mark8303

Reaction score
After leaving my R25/3 wheels with a very reputable small workshop almost 3 years ago it looks like between us we have all of the parts necessary to rebuild them and get the bike back on to its wheels. What I would like now is some guidance on where to source tubes and tyres? Any suggestions very welcome. Also, as it was a personal import in 1978 and has an 'S' registration number, any idea how I would go about getting a 1953 age relevant reg. No. for it other than paying an outrageous sum via one of the usual sites?

Thanks

All

Hi Mark, was the advert I sent for the tyre vendor any use?

If you are still struggling, I see that the National Motorcycle Museum might be able to help.

We need to see that bike up and running!

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 448
Sorry to take so long with a reply! I haven't had the wheels back yet so it's gone off the boil again. I have recently sold a Honda scoot to a gent form the forum so have space freed up in my garage. My plan now is to collect the R25 from its slumber in my father in law's barn and at least do some preparation work on the electrics and brake cables etc. in anticipation of the wheels' return. I am searching for a bike lift on the usual s/hand market place sites at the moment to get me set up. Thanks for the additional pointer though.

I recently bought a pair of 'modern' tyres for my Red Hunter from https://www.feked.com/wheels/tyres-and-tubes/.

(I like a good tyre on that 4 inch2 contact patch)

Good selection of tyres, and quick delivery as well.

Located in Wimbourne, not a million miles away from you.

Still waiting for the wheels!!!

Now promised for the end of August, not sure which one though?

Re age related number plate;

You need to get a confirmation letter from the VMCC, or BMW owners club to prove the age of the bike, then apply to the DVLA for an age related plate.
The DVLA website should provide info on what forms you need, and any payment due.
I’m not sure if the bmw club would be able to provide the confirmation letter, or whether the Voss would be better……. Ask the DVLA and they will be able to tell you who can provide the dating certificate that they need.

Good luck, and I cannot wait to see the bike.

Re age related number plate;

You need to get a confirmation letter from the VMCC, or BMW owners club to prove the age of the bike, then apply to the DVLA for an age related plate.
The DVLA website should provide info on what forms you need, and any payment due.
I’m not sure if the bmw club would be able to provide the confirmation letter, or whether the Voss would be better……. Ask the DVLA and they will be able to tell you who can provide the dating certificate that they need.

Good luck, and I cannot wait to see the bike.

I don't know if the VMCC can provide a dating sertificate but the BMW Ckub certainly can. Be aware, however, that BMW are moving their archives and apparently cannot provide pre-1980 dating letters until some time in 2022. The bike won't look right with a 1978 reg. number but it's better on the road with it than hidden in a barn.

Wheels are here:)

So, I finally have the wheels back and they look good., almost too good given the rusty nail condition of the bike. I am in the process of sorting tubes and tyres with Vintage Tyres at The Beaulieu Motor Museum. I'll report back on progress and try to post some photo's.

I have also imported a single sprung seat from the U.S.A. to replace the dual seat to improve the look. Just got to clear some space in the garage and fabricate a stand then get busy.

I’d love to see some photos of the bike and the refurbished wheels!

Back
Top Bottom