F800GS - wrong settings feel better

Scarfall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Got a puzzling dilemma. I've got a '16 F800GS, it had 6k miles and its previous owner had the preload set to max, and dampening to full soft. The suspension is stock and so I thought the guy before me must have been pretty heavy.

Running the configurator tool that was very popular on many threads around here, it suggested to have the preload at 4 clicks from fully CCW, and the dampening 1.5 turns from fully CW.

I weigh 175 lbs / 79.5 kg, and am 6'2ft / 187cm tall and pretty much never go off road. For some reason, the bike only feels "right" when the preload is set to 35-40 clicks, and the dampening to nearly full soft!

This way the bike turns much better into corner, the transfer of weight on braking feels smoother, washboard roads feel comfortable but without any direction weaving. The bike just feels a lot more planted to the ground and I find myself feeling comfortable in going faster when the suspension is set this way. I've tinkered with it loads trying all kinds of settings.

The above mentioned setting of 4 clicks gives me the correct sag, but the bike just doesn't feel right that way. I know that suspension is very subjective, but surely for a guy with my weight these settings shouldn't feel right?

Is there something wrong with my stock suspension? Should I stick with the correct sag and just learn to ride it like this, adapting it as the new normal and overcome the woes I mentioned above?

Hi all,

I've ridden a week with the preload knob at 7 clicks/half-turns from fully CCW, and the rebound damping at 1.5 turns from fully CW. Just so that I would get used to it, after a day, I barely noticed it was different.

I've rechecked and my weight with gear is 89.5kg/197lbs.

I tried winding up the preload to 35 clicks today, and it completely transforms the bike. Feels a bit stiffer on potholes and tarmac roads that aren't the smoothest. I ride with so much more confidence like this, it feels like it acelerates quicker, it sets the weight right for a turn quicker, it feels a lot less sluggish. Also for some reason, it makes me much more confident at filtering like this.

Is my stock shock broken? Or not working as intended? Am I risking safety by riding it like this? If I make the damping softer I don't really feel any difference in consecutive bumps, but I also don't pogo around.

These symptoms surely shouldn't be like this with these settings. Can I get your input please?

Hi all, sorry to be digging this thread up again. Any chance you guys can shed some light on this issue?

Surely if you have found a setting that works for you, then go with it. The rear shock may have some wear, but if full pre load worked for the previous owner and you, then just accept that and ride.

If you have the rear on max preload it will lift the rear end and place more weight on the steering making it turn faster and feel more planted , if you want to run standard setting on the rear to get it feel the same drop the front forks down 30 to 35 mm in the yokes.

To be honest with any standard BMW suspension it is pot luck as the forks and shocks are built down to a budget .

Surely if you have found a setting that works for you, then go with it. The rear shock may have some wear, but if full pre load worked for the previous owner and you, then just accept that and ride.

My thoughts too.

Full pre-load would have me checking out a stiffer spring, but as has been said, if it works, use it.

Back
Top Bottom